1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Akira vs Lau help

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by pearl, Mar 20, 2002.

1. pearl

pearl Member

What up yall, this is my first post, I have been lurkin' for a while but I couldn't ever get the damn registration to work(kept giving me a damn error). Anyway I think I will start off with some questions. I am trying to become an Akira master right now I am "aight" at best (still have pulled of a DLC or STOD even once). Also I just bought the PS2 version today, although I did have VF3 for DC and have been playing VF4 in the arcades for a few months. OK, so heres my question, what are some good Akira tactics for Lau? My older brother uses him and beats me down almost everytime. So what are some good strategies, moves, philosiphies against him with Akira?

Thanks for any help.

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

A pretty simple and strong strategy for akira vs. anyone is to do d+P (low punch, it will duck under lau's punch rushes) then do one of four things -
    - f+P (the from-crouch single palm, it does medium damage and doesn't knock down)
    - b,f+P (double palm, does good damage and knocks down)
    - f+P+K (shoulder ram, good damage and floats them in the air for an easy combo, this gives the best damage but is also the slowest move).
    - Throw (the best throw is d/f+P+G. You can then do d/f+P for added damage).

Which of the four you will use depends on what you think Lau will do. If you hit him with the low punch and see a yellow flash, that means you stuffed his attack. Try d/f+P+G right away and it will almost always work.

If you see d+P just hit, try one of the big moves (like the double palm or shoulder ram). If you see d+P miss or get blocked, try just a single palm... it's the safest move.

That's pretty much it... just do d+P (which is almost the safest fastest move in the game) and force him to guess between one of your strong crouching attacks or a strong throw.

If your friend likes to do stuff like PPP PPP PPP all day, or he's in love with lau's
    triple punch into sweep... try using b+P+K. Akira can grab some incoming punches with it.

3. pearl

pearl Member

Thanks for the info I think this will help me out alot.

4. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

In addition to Creed's flow chart, I would add after getting a low punch blocked, try dodge --> attack to avoid Lau's attempted counter attack. Use the built in P+K+G or try fff+P or if you're confident that Lau will whiff vs. your dodge, b,f,f+P+K to body check him in the side for huge damage.