1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Akira's Dashing Elbow and Double Palm

Discussion in 'Akira' started by v3kwok, May 25, 2002.

1. v3kwok

v3kwok New Member

Hi all,

Can somebody please elaborate on the fact that Akira's dashing elbow is totally "Uncounterable"? Does this mean that whenever I do a SDE, I can immediately do another Elbow or SDE and simply ignore my opponent's response - since he/she can't counter me anyways?

After I do a dashing elbow, I can hold G to block any attack including a down punch?

Regarding Double Palm, its Throw escapable against Wold and Jeff only right?

Thanks.

2. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

SDE is "uncounterable" meaning that after it's blocked, you can guard any attack they make and beat any throw attempt with an attack like d+P. It does NOT mean that you can do another SDE without fear of retaliation: since the SDE takes a while to start up, your opponent can nail you while you begin the next one. By contrast, the doublepalm is throw counterable, meaning that the opponent has a guaranteed opportunity to throw you. In this situation, you have to escape the throw to avoid taking damage. Moves like the shrm (D,f+P+K) are punch and throw counterable, meaning that not only can the opponent do a throw before you recover, but he gets a free punch if he wants some guaranteed damage.

3. v3kwok

v3kwok New Member

THen would the following work?

Do a double palm against say Wolf or Jeffrey, then input Option select very quickly (b+P+K, f+P+G, release P and hold G). Would this reverse high punch, escape Wolf's throw, and guard an incoming attack like a knee?

Thanks.
    Vince.

4. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Nope. A reversal is treated like a super-fast attack, i.e. you can't do it and then hold G. Since to escape a throw, you don't actually have to be doing a throw motion (just hitting the button in the right window), you can buffer that into something else (G, d+P, b+P+K, sidestep, etc.) but you can't have it both ways. /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. DanniBoySmith

DanniBoySmith Well-Known Member

hey thats an interesting piece of info there. thanks i'll have to keep that in mind. i'm also a total newbie at this game (migrating from tekken, which i've been playing for the past 6 years or so, lol) and i was wondering whether its possible to buffer vanessa's hold G, tap u or d, then P move into the recovery of another move.

since you are technically holding G and the move is evasive it might be good strategy to do it after buffering 2-3 throw escapes and doing this move in place of a buffered sidestep. any thoughts?? sorry i know i'm going of track here.

just to keep on topic though, are you guys able to throw akira after blocking the double palm on reaction??? like when i play against this really good akira player (his names moby, he comes on these boards), he often techrolls to the side after being knocked down and immediately does a double palm which seems to go through almost anything i try. this is just an example but the thing is unless i expect the double palm to be coming out, i usually mess up the throw motion and the akira usually recovers in time to retaliate my throw attempt. do u guys have the same prob or r u just conditioned to throw the moment u block the double palm (if i feel i cant throw i sometimes go for a move but thats risky due to akiras reversals).

6. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

The double palm is moderately difficult to throw counter on reaction, but if you expect a doublepalm / shrm / etc. already, it's easy to get within the necessary window (since you can think about inputting throws as it executes, then press the buttons with plenty of time to spare).

7. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Do a double palm against say Wolf or Jeffrey, then input Option select very quickly (b+P+K, f+P+G, release P and hold G). Would this reverse high punch, escape Wolf's throw, and guard an incoming attack like a knee?

To add to what Robyrt has already posted, the high punch could not be reversed anyway, or even blocked, because the shoulder ram is punch counterable. Which means that the high punch is guaranteed to hit after blocking the shoulder ram.

8. Moby

Moby Well-Known Member

Heh, hey Dan /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

You can definitely throw Akira's double-palm after you block it from his TR... but yes you have to have quick reaction and do it FAST. If you delay, the Akira will recover. I think the more you see the double-palm, the more you will notice the animation and it won't catch you off-guard.

You can test this in Free Training mode... record the CPU Akira to do a double palm then a low punch (repeat).... and just practice throwing him before his low punch comes out. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Fair_Warning

Fair_Warning New Member

thanks. I wasn't aware of this.