1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Akira's dragon lance combo is driving me nuts!!!

Discussion in 'Akira' started by Kamata, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Kamata

Kamata Member

Since I'm Akira GURU, i'm trying to master him again just like in VF2,3.
    Akira's dragon lance combo (dragon spear-dashing elbo-bodycheck df+K+Gf+Pb,f,f+P+K) just does not want to come out.
    I don't think my hands are slow, SPoD in VF 2 is piece of cake, in VF 4 is even easier, although blockable :-( yet still...a beautiful combo and it comes out perfect!
    I have the same problem with his special 3 combo (axe blade leg-shot knee-overhead smash d+K+Gf+Kb,f+P)

What am I doing wrong? Any hints?

2. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    I've found that the DLC is much easier to do in 4 than in 3. In my experience, you can input it much slower than before, hence the reduced damage I'd imagine. If I just go slow, and remember to tap back, it always comes out.

The new 3 hit can also be put in very slowly. Personally, I think this move is for people like me who enjoy Akira, but have trouble inputting the more difficult commands consistantly. I make a kind of triangle with the stick from down, to forward, then back, where I wait until I see Akira's hand above his head, then f+P.

Like I said before, as long as I don't rush it, and can manage to relax; all 3 come out easy for me. But I still have trouble doing it nice and slow sometimes.

Spotlite

3. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

I've experienced the same phenomena with supposedly simple combos like Sarah's illusion-low kick. (df+K,K,b+K) When I rush it, I never seem to get the b+K out right. But if I go slow (even to the point of delaying the combo) it comes out almost everytime. This is very different from how I remember how it worked in VF3. I agree with spotlite's suggestion. Take your time when entering in the Akira combos and be very deliberate with the command motions. VF4 is most likely penalizing you when you enter a stray diagonal motion when you're not suppose to.

4. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

Re: Akira's dragon lance combo is driving me nuts!

okay, just to show that i'm not as annoying as people think....

<<DLC ~ dragon lance combo~>>

1>the technique i normally use in pulling this off is "light hands", DO NOT attempt to slap the stick about while doing this untill the last motion

2>make sure you pull off "d/f+K+G and f+P" smooth and slick, but one straight after the other, and during the second motion (elbow)
    quickly struggle the stick to wards the direction you are facing LOOSELY so that you still get the "back" in the b,f,f and tap p+k after the third struggle

3> or , you can just struggle through out the whole thing while tapping the right buttons but that will tire your hands and it wont be very reliable.. (^_^)

as for the new combo, i dont know much about that, but the main move i hate pulling off is the STUPID KNEE

but that's enough moping...

5. Kamata

Kamata Member

The kneeee...the one, yes it was the hardest move for me to pull out in VF 2. The key is just to slide your hand on the G not tap it. In VF 4 the keys are much appart from each other, where in VF 2 they were close and I really liked that.
    It takes a little practice in VF4 but it still comes out. I didn't really get a chance to play VF 3, I NEVER liked that side-step button.....

Thanx a lot for all that replied, I won't get a chance to play for couple of days but I'll make a note of what everyone said /versus/images/icons/cool.gif ....I should be able to pull off the that awesome looking DLC!!!

-Kamata

6. Big Dipper

Big Dipper Well-Known Member

Here in NYC you would be happy with VF4 arcade. the buttons are very close at broadwaycity.com The akira Knee is high risk...still and is quite a style shot when done with exacting purpose. AdamYuki would use it in very interesting situations and the scrubs woulsd say (W)W!)... It is way cool.... to see done at right moment. Lion has a simple ,but equally problematic knee. HIRO would caution against it Banana Fingered...(copyright BigCat);) rookies...*cough* that was before I graduated to scrubby though. Now my skills are solid scrubby. Piccolo would experiment with Lion's knee in float combinations
    ( float, Knee, U+P+K or d/f+K) and pounce finishes. RO was often available or wall combo follow-ups that are just to wicked. Work the wall. @*V*@ and many other kombos., etc .
    You might try this with Akira for fun.

7. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I'll post later on it (in a Lion impressions thread), but I beg to differ on Lion's knee...

I mean, as far as I've played, it's not meant to float, but can be used in combos. I use it to ease the pressure off of Lion when opponent's get too aggressive. In this sense, it's an upclose poke, but it's been successful in gaining the initiative for my Lion (as well as scoring nice MCs). It doesn't give you all that much initiative (nothing crazy anyways, just enough), but it takes away a lot of the pressure that can really drive Lion crazy when in very tight and upclose in-fighting.

I would personally never use it in any way like someone would use Akira's knee aside for an added hit in floats. But I don't think it's used well that way (since there are such way better in-combo attacks).

-Chanchai

8. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

i agree, akira has alot of mid-air-juggling moves as it is, but i suppose using his knee would look cool as it is hard to pull off...

i could never use it right, or even when i wanted too, it came out as a high kick cancel!!, but IMO, the BEST way to start a combanation with akira is the guard break into a f,f,k, then two light tap punches in mid-air on the forward step, then straight into DLC (though it's hard to connect every hit) or even use your imagenation..

i like this combo:
    <guard break> f,f,k, <step forward>f,f,kk
    it doesnt look fancy, but it has AWSOME power and drains energy on the counter hit (^_^)

i still dont get why they didnt make the knee motion f+K like every one else?

9. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

i like this combo:
    <guard break> f,f,k, <step forward>f,f,kk
    it doesnt look fancy, but it has AWSOME power and drains energy on the counter hit (^_^)

i still dont get why they didnt make the knee motion f+K like every one else?

I think the game designers have always wanted to give akira moves that are as hard to do as possible. That's why in VF1 he got the tough knee and the weird, difficult PPPK instead of the normal f+K and PPPK. Later on he got the spod, then the DLC. Also, akira has always been pretty strong for float combos, and before VF3 he didn't have any moves (besides the knee) that would set up fast, easy, high floats. The knee is tough on purpose because it's really useful for akira. If Lau were to get a knee, his would probably be the same.
    Pai -still- doesn't get a knee.. *_*

Also, your combo is quite damaging, you're right, although there isn't any counter hit in it. Like a lot of good akira combos, it needs a throw to set up, although that was more true in VF2 and 3 and not so true in 4 anymore.

10. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

break guard - SJK - DJK actually works on most characters in VF3 without requiring a step forward... so even my scrubby friends love it. :) Against lights IIRC you can do guard break - SJK - SJK - DLC... simpler than punching, and does nice damage even if the DLC whiffs.

11. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

for d+p+g; sjk; djk, you should make sure to input f,f,f for the djk (3 x 'f', not just 2).

12. gamesmaster1_2be

gamesmaster1_2be Well-Known Member

seriously, the DLC is Akira's most useless move. it can be blocked at any time, and is turd in floats.
    Akira has much better options, and it's just to learn how to use them.
    I even think [2_][6][P]+[K], [P], [2][K]+[G][6]+[K][4][6]+[P], ground punch does more damage!
    you should learn to expand with Akira.
    i think you would only want to use the DLC is for style or on open arenas to push your oponnent out.
    (or in one of his PIT Combos)

13. berserker

berserker Active Member

You just must be quick and precise, try it after ShRm it is match easier then, you will have more time to do[3]+[G][K],[6]+[K]. DLC is only for style and ringouts, not damage.

14. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

coff... guys, he asked the DLC question in november of last year. If he hasn't figured it out by now, it's probably hopeless.

15. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

If you're doing this with a pad and you haven't gotten it out by now then I'd suggest you get a stick mate.