1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Akira's guard break elbow.

Discussion in 'Akira' started by FokFu, Jun 11, 2002.

1. FokFu

FokFu Active Member

I have been practising the combo given below lately.
    (D, G+P ~ B,F+P ~ P ~ M-Dlbplm).

In order to connect with this combo, the (D, G+P) guard-break elbow must make your opponent off balance, in which case, him/her will limp back a little bit and unable to block your (B,F+P).

My question here is, under what circumstance would your opponent become off-balance upon getting hit by the guard-break elbow? I notice that this doesn't happen during a counter hit nor a normal hit.

PS. For now, I look at the hit-signal to determine whether I should continue with the combo. Hit-signal as in the red flash light(Red -> when opponenet is off balance, Yellow-> COunter hit) that shows up when your opponent gets hit.

The above leads to another question: How does one determine whether your opponenet will stagger after the super dashing elbow? Super dashing elbow is a big part of my game, but unfortunately, I always miss out the opportunity of causing the max amount of damage when my opponent staggers (during a counter hit). THe guys in Diaoh tournaments never missed the (F,F+KK) after a SDE counter hit.

Do I look at the hit signal to determine whether I should stop or continue with my attact after the SDE?

Thanks a lot.

Vince.

2. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

The off balance animation happens when you connect guardbreaker while he is guarding.
    Aside from the combo you mentioned, you can try:
    D,f+p > D,b,f+p.
    D,f+p > p,k. leaves you +2 advantage, meaning your fff+p can beat his lp after the combo. (my favorite).
    b,f+p, as3.
    b,f+p, djk. (open only).
    Knee or SPoD. (Struggleable, but worthy if you are consistent).

3. FokFu

FokFu Active Member

Thanks a lot Shang! I never thought about inputting Spod after a guard breaker. That's awesome.

What about the second part of my original question? ANy ideas?
    Thanks.

Vince.

4. FokFu

FokFu Active Member

Oh ya...one more thing Shang: The D,f+p > P,K combo, the single palm is the modified version right? (B+D, B+D, B, F+P).
    THanks.

Vince.

5. BMF

BMF Well-Known Member

FokFu after the guardbreak the Sgpm is canned and is done by pressing d,f+P or just by doing QCF+P, which I think is easier.

For the SDE(MC)~DJK combo you have enough time to do it on reaction...when you see the crumble then execute the DJK. When I do SDE I usually expect to get MC so i'm ready to do DJK...but anyway, I think it was much tougher for me to do LBF(MC)~DJK on reaction when I started playing VF, that's mainly because the crumble doesn't last as long.

6. FokFu

FokFu Active Member

I tried the guard breaker ~ Canned SlgPlm ~ MDlbPlm against the CPU. Is it a guaranteed combo?

FokFu

7. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

8. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

Regarding the Guard Break matter:

I was looking into that with a friend yesterday when playing... He showed me a specific situation where the b, f+p will always connect after the guard break (On regular cases it's struggable)... Try this:

Do a SE, c-dlpm then dash towards your opponent... If he TR and block, the Guard Break will give the red flash you mentioned for the off-balance position, and a b,f+p should connect. My friend showed me this and we figured it's only doable in specific cases like you said. Interesting. /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

9. BMF

BMF Well-Known Member

As Shang ALREADY stated...you get the staggering animation after [6]+[P]+[G] or [2]+[P]+[G] only if your opponent was GUARDING while being hit by those two moves. If they were, then [4],[6]+[P] is guaranteed same as the canned Sgpm.

10. Bu_Jessoom

You misunderstood what I meant, much like how I misunderstood what my friend tried to show me at first! Everybody knows that opponent should be guarding for those 2 moves to stagger... What I meant is: [4][6][P] is NOT guaranteed after a [2][P]+[G] in normal cases (Try it yourself, you can struggle out of it), but I think it is in the case I mentioned (Where you see the red flash, possibly because the opponent is considered crouching in that possition). [6][P]+[G], however, is another story. I hope this made it more clear.

11. BMF

BMF Well-Known Member

Sorry about that...Well anyway this is the first time I'm hearing of [2][P]+[G] to [4][6]+[P] not being guaranteed after a successful break guard. Furthermore, I'm not sure what you mean when you said "normal cases"... can you please explain. I've also never played with flashes turned on (arcade or PS2) so i'm not able to comment on that...I guess I'll turn them on next time I play the PS2 version...which is hopefully tomorrow.

Finally, I'm not sure what you mean by "you see the red flash, possibly because the opponent is considered crouching in that possition". Do you mean that the opponent needs to be crouch guarding and then get hit by the downward BG to lead to the guaranteed cases of Stpm??? Because that wouldn't make any sense...you would get a normal hit with the dBG and would lose a lot of initiative (I believe 12 frames!!!).

Can you give me a scenario where the Stpm IS guaranteed after the dBG?

Thanks.

12. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

I think Akira only has +12 after d+pg connects on a guarded struggling opponent, whereas after f+pg he has at least +17. d+pg is probably the most useless move Akira has.

13. FokFu

FokFu Active Member

Yes. I just tried the guard breaker yesterday. It's not guranteed even if the red flash showed up (when you hit your opponenet while he's blocking). But there's a useful trick that you can use to fool your opponent. Do the guard breaker twice! Your opponenet struggles out of it the first time, but would probably not expect a second one coming. This would probably increase your chance of connecting with B,F+P or the canned SlgPlm.

FokFu

14. Bu_Jessoom

Hmm, by normal cases I meant that opponent is standing guarding and get hit by the Guard break [2][P]+[G]. I think stpm is not guaranteed after that. While if you try the scenario I posted in my previous post, I used to think that it stpm was guaranteed , or at least harder to struggle out of (Before FokFu confirmed it's not in both cases). This is it again:

[1][P]+[G] c-dlpm, then dash towards your Tech Rolling Opponent (Opponent has to TR). As soon as he gets up from TR hit with the Guard Break [2][P]+[G] while he is guarding, and stpm is harder to struggle of for some reason (Or so I thought). Also, I thought the red flash doesn't appear in the normal case of a standing defenders against a Guard Break.

Try the scenario and tell me what you think. /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

15. BMF

BMF Well-Known Member

I'll try that out as soon as I can...but even if it seems to be guaranteed after that scenario it's still a useless move.

After a successful forward break guard are Sgpm and Stpm guaranteed? (I just want to make sure)

16. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    just to clarify, as I understand it:

the way the Guard Breaks work is that your oppt must be GUARDING. The red flash is the hit effect for Staggers, you'll also see the shaking lever. So after a tech roll, after a stagger, whenever, it doesn't matter, as long as they're holding guard and standing.

Shang's right, the only guaranteed follow-up to the d+P+G is the Double Palm. b,f+P can be guarded, I don't think you even have to struggle, but maybe you do. I learned this fighting my friend David (vf4akira), 'cause I thought it was guaranteed after d+P+G, but I never heard him struggling, and I never hit him with it.

But after f+P+G, the Double Palm, Single Palm, and b,f+P ARE guaranteed. If you hit a croucher with d+P+G, I think they have a Throw chance. Like Shang said, just use f+P+G.

Spotlite

17. Bu_Jessoom

The red flash thing was a mistake on my part, but what I emphacised on was that I thought that things are harder to struggle out of in the specific case I posted. When my friend wanted to show me, he first did a [2][P]+[G] while I stood there and blocked; the result was that I struggled out of the stpm. After that we tried it after the stagger in that scenario, and I just couldn't get out of it! That's why I thought this was a difference or needed a special requierement or something... But since you all confirmed that it's not... /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

Anyways, it's not a big deal... I only posted that because I thought the original poster talked about what I saw. I actually never use the Guard Break, but only wanted to know if there was a special requirement to produce what I thought to be possible. /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

18. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

> after f+P+G, the Double Palm, Single Palm, and b,f+P ARE guaranteed.

(after some experimentation)
    And so is [K][G]([K]) and [3_][3_][P] and [6_][6_][K](Close stance) and even [4_][6_][P][K]. Basically... anything executes in 18 frames or under. At the 19 frames, the [3_][P][K][G] become strugglable. ( Maybe I need struggling lessons. Someone care to confirm?) Scared yet? /versus/images/icons/blush.gif