1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Akira's K+G (release G after 1 frame)

Discussion in 'Akira' started by titanicbutt, Oct 3, 2006.

1. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

A new Akira's knee thread that spawns 20 replies which aren't flames. Amazing. Shows how bored the so-called VF community is nowadays. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Condor said:
    so is it the lack of competitions in the US that makes US players "weaker" than Japs?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes. Let's say you sit down in an active Japanese arcade and play 30 different players regularly that all play differently and have their own tricks, setups, mind games, style, skill level, etc. Keep in mind that all those players also play the rest of the players and have experience against a huge veriety of playstyles as well. When you can play in this environment, your ability to adapt quickly and figure out a player gets very sharp.

You simply cannot do this in the US. At best you can play 5 or 6 players regularly, and by the law of averages not all those players will be exceptional. Maybe of those 30 Japanese players, 5 are exceptional top level, 10 are strong, 10 are intermediate, and 5 are pretty decent. Spread those numbers against maybe a 6 player scene and then adjust for lack of experience, you'll have 1 strong player, 2 intermediate, 2 pretty decent, and maybe a few people that are new and just picking the game up. And this is what I'd call a strong scene in the US, considering how much the game gets played across the country. The resources for experience are just not there.

You can study the game system/videos/frames, set up training excercises, etc. If you are dedicated and have other dedicated players around you, you can become very strong. You will not be as strong as the top Japanese players, there is no way. Worry about your own competition. If you move to and live in Japan, then you can worry about playing the best in Japan; you will have the resources readily available. Keep focused on the US scene and use the resources you do have to make yourself and everyone around you stronger, that is the only way the US scene can be built.

3. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Unless you play VF at least 6 hours a day everyday against at least 10 different good players... you will never be as good as Japanese top players.

4. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Srider said:

Unless you play VF at least 6 hours a day everyday against at least 10 different good players... you will never be as good as Japanese top players.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a way too simplistic and definative sounding answer which I have to disagree with. The level of competition is important, but there are a lot of other factors that you can use for your benefit.

If competition is that much of a major factor as you put it, any dominating player in certain region in an isolated scene wouldn't be able to improve much at all.

Once you reach the certain level in VF, you improve as much as you put your own efforts for the game. There are certain players in Japan who play for hours a day in Tokyo against top players and still not remotley strong even compared to some western players.

Benefiting from playing against a good competiton is about how prepared you are in both knowledge wise and mechanic wise. You observe some players improving their games day by day at the VF gathering, while others not experiencing the same desite the fact that they play in the same type of competition for that period of time.

5. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    maddy said:

Once you reach the certain level in VF, you improve as much as you put your own efforts for the game. There are certain players in Japan who play for hours a day in Tokyo against top players and still not remotley strong even compared to some western players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree with that, and the fact that my previous post is too definitive sounding. To make it clear, doing what I said in my previous post does NOT directly equate you being good, but it's merely a conservative lowest denominator.

VF takes talent (mentally and physically) to a certain degree, which is something that's often accused as a sign of elitism when said, but it's definitely an important aspect that is not reflected in my previous post, but to a larger degree in maddy's post.

[ QUOTE ]
    maddy said:
    If competition is that much of a major factor as you put it, any dominating player in certain region in an isolated scene wouldn't be able to improve much at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that is definitely true in Japan. Dominant players in isolated regions don't stand a chance against top players in the hotspot regions in Japan.

6. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

it doesnt take much effort to become involed in a VF scene in japan. i think to improve just takes the energy and dedication to work at specific things.

competition only shows your weaknesses quicker, but it doesnt help you to understand how to work at it. only academic learning and practice will improve your game.

the objective is to work your game around beating situations, not opponents.

i guess that's my 2 cents anywayz~

7. Condor

Condor Well-Known Member

srider, i dont understand this "talent" that you speak of. i believe that VF is like any other games out there, regardless of how difficult it is for beginners. that the only "talent" taht you need is patient and pratice with the game.

maddy, im im having trouble understanding what you said:
    "You observe some players improving their games day by day at the VF gathering, while others not experiencing the same desite the fact that they play in the same type of competition for that period of time. "

are u saying taht the peole who aren't improving eventhough they are exposed to top-notch VF gameplays because they aren't practicing enough? or somethign along the line?

8. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

You either have the dexterity, or you don't. If you do, you can eventually teach yourself all the imputs needed. If you don't, no matter of practice will make you dextrous.

Some people will accept to learn and implement frame data, others, such as myself, can't seem to intergrate the information in play.

9. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

You don't need talent, you just need understanding.

10. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    [ QUOTE ]
    vanity said:

You don't need talent, you just need understanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

But wouldn't that also mean a need for a talent for the capacity to understand? (John Locke has ruined my mind!)

I'll give an example: I have two friends I play against. Both of which, even after 2+ years of playing fighting games (SC2->T5->SC2->SC3->SC2->maybe VF soon) neither really have an idea of how the genre is played other than pressing buttons(telegraming everything) and moving around.

I mean "(Lau's movelist) This is ridiculous! (after attempting 62K for 5 minutes)".

11. Poppa

Poppa Well-Known Member

Yes, Sebo, Lost is awesome...

How's the third season? I haven't watched it yet (got all the episodes on my PC).

Oh, and Kate>>>>Locke

I mean, come on. Her body is so damn delicious! And delicious body>>>Bald old guy...

And I agree with Cuz on this issue. Granted, I suppose you could train yourself to be dextrous...

But that would take a hell of a lot of work.

12. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    [ QUOTE ]
    Poppa said:

How's the third season? I haven't watched it yet (got all the episodes on my PC).

Oh, and Kate>>>>Locke

I mean, come on. Her body is so damn delicious! And delicious body>>>Bald old guy...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll go out on a limb and say he was talking about this John Locke.

13. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    [ QUOTE ]
    Poppa said:

Oh, and Kate>>>>Locke

And I agree with Cuz on this issue. Granted, I suppose you could train yourself to be dextrous...

But that would take a hell of a lot of work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can go on the record of saying: what the fuck is this "Lost" shit everyone is going on with?

14. Poppa

Poppa Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Plague said:

[ QUOTE ]
    Poppa said:

Oh, and Kate>>>>Locke

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll go out on a limb and say he was talking about this John Locke.

[/ QUOTE ]

/versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Woops...

Well, LOST IS STILL AWESOME!

15. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

So, about Akira's knee... /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

16. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

how do i do akira knee

17. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Siyko said:

how do i do akira knee

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG LOL check the 2nd post in this thread NOOB

18. Kenetic

Kenetic New Member

well do you use a d-pad?
    i have an alternate method thats
    the easiest way to pull it off.

19. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    I'm surprised that no one responded positiveley or negatively considering a 3 year thread was revived, and the person kenetic was replying to is probably long dead by now.

20. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    i'm not surprised that you felt the need to comment on this fact.