1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Akira's knee in VF4, 3 and 2.

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by SUPERBalde, Feb 12, 2002.

1. SUPERBalde

SUPERBalde Member

The one and only move I cannot do in VF2 and up. Any help?

2. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

Yeah maybe I can help. Uhm this move is mad hard and absolutely not really practical in a match that is serious. Basically Nail G+K, keep your finger on K bounce your index finger on the G button try to bounce it fast enough that it registers only in ONE frame. Kind of like playing the drums. =) GOOD LUCK!!!

3. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

>Yeah maybe I can help. Uhm this move is mad hard and absolutely not really practical in a match that is serious.

How do you figure that?

4. LemonMan

LemonMan Active Member

I can get this off by aiming my index finger at just the bottom edge of the G button and flicking it down and off. The key really is to have your finger on the button for the shortest amount of time possible and still have it register.

I cannot get the knee consistently. I've tried other ways and the one above works most frequently for me.

5. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    To execute Akira's knee, one key I've found is a very light touch on the buttons. Since G can only be down for one frame you don't want to be pressing as hard as you can. Tap G+K lightly and roll your hand quickly to the right (I use a wrist motion to lift my finger (or thumb) off of G rather than a finger extensor tendon).

It's still pretty hard to pull off with consistency. And I bet you'll find variance from machine to machine, not to mention PS2 vs arcade.

But, hey, a knee is pretty a useful MC. It could also intimidate your opponent ("dude, that guy can do Akira's knee").

6. adsega

adsega Well-Known Member

much more difficult on pad than on stick, because knee require movement of entire wrist when I do it (no comments please) - you have to think of pulling it off as tapping K+G, but your thumb should be higher in the air than your K finger when your hand comes away from the unit. In other words, you held K for a split second longer than G. 1/60 is nothing, you don't even take your finger off K, it's more just a twitch, by which time that thumb should be off of G. I pull off the knee 50/50 in the arcade version (much more difficult on pad, not enough space for proper movement) and this is how i do it anyway.

7. Triple Lei

Triple Lei Well-Known Member

Ah, this move (and SPoD, DLC) was what really made me want to pick up VF. I guess I was too tired of piss easy Tekken 3 Jin b,f+2,1,2 combos.

Anyway, I can do it fairly consistently by barely even touching G. Sometimes I miss pressing the button entirely, which I suppose is better for the knee practitioners (because the general idea is speed)... of course, in the unlikely event that I do mess up, I always make sure to dash first. That way I can at least follow through with his f,f+K,K (which would be safer than a standing K if you mess up).

But I'm not even a VF intermediate... /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

8. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

well, he does have faster, uncounterable or equally counterable moves that are easier to do and do more damage...it was extremely useful in VF1, had its place in 2, and is now pretty much just a redundant move in 3 and 4.

9. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

which move is that rich?

10. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

..the knee, what the thread has been referring to.

11. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

The knee is very useful in Okizeme for Akira. I think Akira do not have another stronger okizemi tool. The point is you must execute the move fast enough to interrupt the rising kick. f,f,f+p is too slow to input. QCB+p is too slow to execute. The knee has everything, fast, dodges low attacks, huge damage potential.

12. imf

imf Well-Known Member

If the knee is so useful how come I never see it in any high level Vids? I think I saw one guy taunt with it after a round...that's about it. :\ Maybe I have the wrong Vids? Sorry, but if shinz isn't going for it then I'm not going to worry about it.

13. LittleWild

LittleWild Well-Known Member

One reason is because it is hard to do.
    Can you imagine what will happen at a title match if you miss the K+G input and does a KICK instead?
    No body is gonna take that kind of risk against high dan players.

Another reason is that it is useful only if the opponent does a rising attack. If you notice, most of the high dan players don't, they prefer to do a dodge-throw escape after they get up. If you do a knee at that time, you are mincemeat.

14. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

I think you are right, the problem with knee is that is it linear. Come to think of it, does Akira have any circular attacks????

15. LittleWild

I can't remember seeing any circular attacks from Akira.
    But I know he has some moves that has some "homing" abilities like 46P+K.

16. Blondie

Not sure about circular moves but in the new evading section he has some moves that require Evading either front or back. All the moves that I've seen have been linear but I guess his linear moves require still some special evading which gives them the same properties as Circular moves. I've been playing against akira from the start and thank god for the new evading guide cause I was in some trouble cause Iron Monkey Fists Akira was starting to get quite powerful now that he knows the frames. I now have a weapon. thanx.

17. LittleWild

Erm, I think circular moves cannot be evaded at all.
    Circular moves are things like Lau's K+G. That can't be evaded right?

18. Blondie

If my reading serves me right circular moves can only be evaded in "ONE" direction front or back. Whereas linear moves can go either to front or back evasion. Read the evade section it will help you. later.

19. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Well, just to clarify, some "circular" attacks don't actually travel in a full circle and hence you can evade them, but only in one direction. However, there are attacks which do travel in a full circle, like most character's sweep attacks (d+K+G), and these cannot be evaded at all.

I'll update the document in a sec to reflect this.

20. LittleWild

Suggestion: can we term them as "Semi-circular" moves?

Any way, I don't really think that those moves that only allow you to dodge to one side should be called circular moves.
    In ver.B some character's low kick can only be dodged in one direction and I don't think a low kick resembles any form of circular moves. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif