1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Akira's knee in VF4, 3 and 2.

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by SUPERBalde, Feb 12, 2002.

1. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone uses circular attack to describe much of anything these days, it's sort of a given that some moves are easily dodged and others are not..
    Anyway, to answer a question like 6 post ago

akira's b,f+P+K is a good anti-dodge move that's rarely evaded.
    His frigging double palm never misses my dodges for no apparent reason. It's about as circular as Voltron's nipple.

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Attack paths

Can we say "can of worms?" /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Anyway, you're right about semi-circular attacks.

I honestly didn't want to go into too much depth into the various properties of attacks -- more specifically, the trajectory or path the attacking limb travels. But for the sake of completion, and taking your suggestion, how does this sound?

<ul type="square">[*]Linear - attacks in a straight line. Can be evaded in either direction.
    [*]Circular - attacks that traverse a complete (or near complete) circular motion. Cannot be evaded.
    [*]Semi-circular - attacks that only swing around from one particular side and can only be evaded in one direction (i.e. the opposite side of the attack).
    [/list]

On top of all this you have to consider the homing properties of the attacks as well, which I think I mentioned in the guide.

3. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

In the trial mode for the ps2, they actually teach you to attack the opponent when they get up and don't do rising kicks. If you get up without doing rising kicks and hold on to guard, there is a short freeze time where you can't dodge or guard. The problem is its so short its damn difficult to master the timing. that's why i always do knee on rising opponents.

4. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

In ver.B some character's low kick can only be dodged in one direction and I don't think a low kick resembles any form of circular moves

Look more closely at the attack animation. Many characters swing there leg around to one side when they do their low kick. This is why dodging to the back side works better.

5. 3of19

3of19 Well-Known Member

But wouldn't it still be useful to not if a move is circular or not?
    I haven't been playing VF4 too much (my Jap. VF4 game is lying on my desk waiting for my PS2 to arrive), but in VF3 there were big differences with circular vs noncircular attacks when reversing. IIRC most characters with reversals could not reverse circular attacks like Lau's g+k. In the case of Aoi, if you attempted to reverse circular attack, you'd get an inashi instead of a reversal...

6. LAU Abuser

LAU Abuser Well-Known Member

(Yupa) Yes. i agree wif your observation. In dodging an attack, you dun need to recall watever doctrine. By basic observation e.g. low kick is an attack that begins from the rear leg. So its only basic common sense that you dodge towards the front leg.

Low kick is not a circular (semi-circular) attack.
    Arghhh, hack it!

7. LAU Abuser

LAU Abuser Well-Known Member

Isnt it funny how this post on knee bcomes low kick?

8. Torneko

Torneko Well-Known Member

Hi,

Akira's knee sounds hard on the movelist, but its actually pretty easy to do.

All you have to do is hit K and G together and let got of G but don't let go of K. That's it. If you let go of K at anytime before the K comes out, you will get a normal standing Kick instead.

The easiest to do this, is to use your middle finger on the K and Thumb on G. What you do is hit the respective button simultaneously, but scrape your thumb on G button, while still holding, can't stress enough holding the K button.

Also make sure that scraping motion is not too fast, that it doesn't register. The timing is quite forgiving as long as you hold on to K. And K and G is registered simultaneouly.

9. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

actually,

When I said circular, I just meant moves that cannot be evaded, not necessary must travel in a circular motion. Example, Lei's f,f+k+g cannot be evade although it looks pretty linear. Also Ver B lei's d+p+k is also "circular"

10. LittleWild

LittleWild Well-Known Member

Re: Attack paths

Or how about this, you just include a column called "Evade direction"(or something) and under it you put either "Front", "Back", "X" (for cannot be evaded) "O" for can be evaded both way.
    The circular terminology is giving a lot of headaches. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

11. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

it's useful to know whether a move is circular or not, but inventing special terms for it and then carefully writing down every single move's "dodge-ability" is a pain in the ass and a waste of time. You can tell from the animation almost every single time whether or not a move is easily dodged (or just by playing for a while). A few, like Akira's dbpm (maybe it's just me) go against common sense. But you'd -expect- d+K+G to hit dodgers.

12. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

Well, the evading chart is by no means a complete list. It's only a sample of what can be assumed as the most common moves per character, to hopefully help the reader understand the mechanics of evading. If someone would like to comment on the evading direction of every single move in the game, then be my guest, but I'll be damned if I'm doing it /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

13. Legend

Legend Active Member

I think that every linear attack in Vf4 can be dodged in both directions, so now its only trying to figure out where to dodge the other non-linear attacks. which I believe could be done by experimenting and creating a chart as you go a long /versus/images/icons/smile.gif ..