1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

AKIRA'S MOVES WITH A PS2 CONTROLLER

Discussion in 'Akira' started by kungfusmurf, Jun 23, 2002.

1. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

I can do almost all the moves except for the bloody knee and body check in the Dragon Lance combo. I use button layout 3. I only use 3 buttons & the rest are no use. <font color="yellow"> </font color>

2. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

So... what's your point?

3. kungfusmurf

I wanted to see how many ppl uses a pad instead of a stick?

4. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Anyone who's serious about the game uses a joystick (especially a serious Akira user). His SPoD
    is much easier to do on a stick.

[G]+[P]+[K], [4],[3]+[P]+[G],[6][P] destroys lion players.... Feel my fists of fury!!!

5. kungfusmurf

I know that but I couldn't get the VF4 stick since it was all soldout and it's not like I don't want to use it, trust me. If I could found one for sale I would be happy to buy it. Which would make it so much easier for me in the arcades. I'm a very serious player dude & if you want to understand my dedication, try doing the SPod or the Axe Blade Combo with the pad using only guard, punch & kick in a C layout with no button configuration. I'm been playing in the arcades since the early eighties & VF is the only series that show serious promise as a realistic fighting videogame in a 3 D format.

6. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

7. Faded

Faded Well-Known Member

I use both pad and stick depending on where I am and after a decent amount of practice on both I wouldn't say there is anything that is really that much harder on a pad. That's just my experience though of course.

Try buffering the DLC in after a launcher that should give you the extra couple frames you need to get it off.
    -

8. kungfusmurf

What do you mean by buffering & after launcher?

9. NewB_4_Life

NewB_4_Life Active Member

I think he means doing a hit that will start as a combo and add the DLC to it. Don't wait for the first move to be displayed, start the DLC. You will finish entering the moves for the DLC before it is shown. I hope this helps.

10. kungfusmurf

Yeah I'd tried that but it's still hard to get the body check out. Thanks though.

11. nakataman

nakataman Member

i had trouble with the body check as well. now i can DLC without a thought. for me, the answer lied in the controller config. try using square for guard, R1 for punch, and R2 for kick. can't help you with the knee as i have problems with it as well. i'd be interested in knowing if anyone can execute the knee at will with the PS2 controller.

12. kungfusmurf

About the knee it seems that I always get it out by accident while doing the first move of the axe blade combo ([2][G][K]) with too much effort. Well I don't use button configuration & that's what's makes it so bloody hard. I won't want it any other way & people don't seem to understand my dedictation. Thinking I'm just a playing akira with the little of easy on a PS2 pad. I'm probably playing Akira in his hardest form. Even though I'm getting my butt kicked left & right at Chinatown.

13. greyf0x

greyf0x Member

Personally I don't see the point of NOT using the default button config on the PS2. With a stick you can easily hit all three buttons (it's designed that way), with a pad you can't, ti's simple.

Why do you think they assigned the shoulder buttons combinations of other buttons, it's because the PS2 pad isn't built in the same way as a stick

just my thoughts /versus/images/icons/cool.gif

14. Muttah

Muttah Member

Well, I play Akira with a pad, and the three-hitters are really not a problem (the mentioned buffering for DLC helps, You can also hold the first the [4] of the [4][6][6][P][K] motion - it's quite helpful, at least for me). In my opinion, the m-DbPm is much more problematic. I'm rather well acquainted with the timings, but many times the diagonals just don't trigger properly (it's hard to be precise with that speed, and the [4][6][P] can also be a drag). Even though, it's not really so hard to play Akira on a pad - I can do many of the m-DbPm combos, but I agree that with a pad they are much less reliable. One of my sparring partners has a stick, and he says it's horrible to do a m-DbPm on a stick, but for me it's the other way round - I cannot even perform a m-ShRm, forget the DLC. For me the pad is much, much better - it's just the case of preferences.

15. kungfusmurf

I'd used the C layout which makes the button line up vertical instead of horizontal in a default setup which is a A layout. That way I can press all 3 buttons at the same time by only using my thumb since I don't use my fingers. The button is close to the layout in the arcades in my opinion. With that said why don't you try it without the button configuration & get back to me.

16. greyf0x

greyf0x Member

I have tried, however as I said before, pads just aren't designed for it, the buttons are small compared to a Stick, and the fact that there are so many 3 button moves in VF4 means that even if you can reach all the buttons, it's still going to be hard.

For TTT, I use just the shape buttons, but for Tekken there aren't many 3 button moves.

I just think that VF4 is best played with the default config, of course it all down to personal preference, and whatever you get used is down to the individual. I've never played VF in the arcades, so if I had to play with a stick I'd probably get my ass handed to me on a plate.

17. nakataman

nakataman Member

kungfusmurf,

i'm not asking you to use the shortcut options in controller config (eg. L1 for P+K, L2 for P+K+G). believe me, i'm also against it. it's bad practice. i'm saying use square for guard, R1 for punch, and R2 for kick. you're still using just 3 buttons, and it's more true to the arcade as you use your index and middle fingers. i think it's a much more comfortable config than using your thumb for all three buttons. more accurate and precise as well. give it a try at least.

cheers

18. kungfusmurf

Thanks, much appreciated & I will. Glad to know that another VF pad player that understands me.

19. kungfusmurf

Join the club dude, that's what happens to me most of the time because most of my efforts goes to just getting a move little alone a combo.

20. Muttah

Muttah Member

Oh, there's also one more thing (fundamental, so to say /versus/images/icons/wink.gif ) There is another way to play on a pad - with the thumb under the controller - then You have three fingers for square ([G]), triangle ([P]) and circle ([K]). And that sorts the problem out! I have always played fighting games like this, and any other way seems impossible to me. Just try it, it is closest to the arcade that You can get on a pad (in terms of buttons only, though). Try this one if You feel it might help - and no more need for shortcuts.