1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

all Pai players...pls read..

Discussion in 'Pai' started by 22222, Mar 10, 2002.

1. BakuBaku

BakuBaku Well-Known Member

I dont think she can counter the cresents and sweeps. She doesnt grab cresents or low attacks.

2. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Ok, I'll rephrase for CreeD. Any move except a flipkick that a character can reverse, where the character also has inashi (is that the correct plural form?), is subject to inashi. Sweeps and crescents are kinda bastard step-children in that their reversals are inashi.

3. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

didnt akira have a kickflip reversal in 3tb??? just curious.

4. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Yeah, he had it in OB as well...u/b+P+K. That was Aoi's as well.

5. 22222

22222 Active Member

icic....but wat abt the timing...are the timings a the same fer inashi or is it easier to do reversal?? plus...just another q..when pais d,f+P does it float opponents who dont block but are just standing or it also floats plp who block??

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

reversal is easier than inashi for me. If a move executes slow (like lau's d/f, d/f+P) then the inashi animation will start, and then stop before lau hits pai. But with reversals, the timing is pretty simple: Do it anytime after they start the move, and before the move hits you. If you reverse one frame after lau starts the lunging knife, pai will stand there until the knife is about to connect, then go into the reversal animation. If you inashi one frame after the lunging knife, I think you get hit.

Also, reversals work every time, but an inashi can slow down the first punch in a PPP combo, and then the second hit hits you.

the d, f+P only floats if your oppponent was trying a somewhat strong attack and got interrupted. If they are blocking, or just crouching or standing, they get hit but do not float. Only when they attack will you get a chance for a combo.

7. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    reversal timing

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

reversal is easier than inashi for me. If a move executes slow (like lau's d/f, d/f+P) then the inashi animation will start, and then stop before lau hits pai. But with reversals, the timing is pretty simple: Do it anytime after they start the move, and before the move hits you. If you reverse one frame after lau starts the lunging knife, pai will stand there until the knife is about to connect, then go into the reversal animation. If you inashi one frame after the lunging knife, I think you get hit.

<hr></blockquote>

This is not true for VF4. Reversal timing has been changed so that you must time the reversal just before the hit. For attacks with long execution time, if you enter your reversal one frame after they start their move, your reversal will whiff.

Spotlite has previously posted on this subtle, but important, change with reversals from VF3 to VF4 with the example used in the Black Book: you block Akira's DE and immediately go for a low reversal. If Akira entered d+P, you'll score the reversal. If instead Akira went for df+P+K (much longer exe time), your reversal will whiff and Akira's attack will hit. The exact same scenario in VF3, however, and the reversal will win in both cases.

8. 22222

22222 Active Member

Re: reversal timing

so how......which is easier.....reversals or inashis????? any option?? hye that means d/f+p cannot be blocked????? is that wat ur saying????

9. Hadaka

Hadaka Member

Do different reversals have different hit windows? And do inashis share the same window with reversals, or is their timing different? Personally, I haven't found on Aoi yet, though I suppose YY reverses a moment longer than a reversal - without holding down P+K+G that is.

And is there really anything but a conceptual separation between inashis and reversals in VF4? To me they just seem like reversals that do a little damage and force the other person to struggle. Does the game handle them differently?

10. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

First, thanks to myke for that clarification. That strikes me as a little odd, maybe the idea is to prevent reversing-on-reflex? But who can do that anyway outside of controlled conditions? Also the example myke gave is messing me up. If you have to enter the reversal prior to the execution of the attack, then it shouldn't matter whether akira does d/f+PK or d+P. If you block a dashing elbow and press d+P+K, you reverse low one or more frames before the execution of either move. I see what you mean about not being able to reverse a slow attack after it's started, but the speed of the attack doesn't matter as long as your reversal is early enough (as it would be in the dashing elbow example).

Anyway, in response to hadaka: Pai's inashi has changed, and now the timing is (as far as I know) identical to regular reversal timing. You just get a different animation and different results, but it's still a canned reversal animation, rather than the VF3 inashi which was... different.

Conceptually the inashis in VF4 are as you described (the game doesn't really treat them differently). In VF3 pai's inashi was treated differently, it didn't stop the opponent's punch, but it slowed the punch down and made them recover longer from it (and obviously made it so that the punch didn't hit pai). So like you could use f+P+K vs. a PPP combo, and the first punch would slow way down, but then the second and third could still hit you. Or you could inashi vs. kage's dragon punch and he'd go up into the air more slowly, and pai would recover with less blockstun, allowing her to inashi and then high kick kage while he was still on the way up.