1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Alternate 3D fighters

Discussion in 'General' started by Iamtheone1983, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Iamtheone1983

Iamtheone1983 Active Member

I am sure the "are they making a new VF" threads have been posted to death. So in regards to alternative 3D fighters, aside from the doa series and the soul caliber series, is there anything else out there? I work at a video game store so I have literally played just about everything "current" there is to be played (console-wise). Am I missing some hidden gem? Anybody?
    And before anybody asks, yes I have played the 2d fighters available. I just hate cancelling and always seem to gravitate back to VF.

2. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    Not really. Tekken went to sh*t. DOA is... DOA :). Soul Calibur is dead to me after what they did to Ivy and Kilik. Really 3D fighters are in crisis right now and I've been moaning about this for a while. We used to get so many different ideas but now nothing. Anyway it doesn't surprise me since we live in a world where people take Dive Kick seriously.

UroboroSx likes this.
  3. oneida

oneida Long Arm of the Lau Silver Supporter

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    Last Bronx

Seminasuke likes this.
  4. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    The activity in this thread tells you everything you need to know about the availability alternate 3D fighting games this gen.

5. IcKY99

IcKY99 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    IcKY99
    XBL:
    IcKYIcKY
    Well Tekken tag 2 and Doa5u are your only other sources atm if you want a 3d fighter. Hell you could even play SCV or SC2HD if you can deal with no lobbies, and theres always... Girl Fight...........

Then again VF2/Fighting vipers/sonic the fighters also have online modes. But no one else plays them. :(

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    SC5 is like VF5FS light version. Jap VFers tend to love this game and it is superpopular there overall. According to Itazan it is easy and fun to play and most balanced FG at this moment. But on west, the scene is dying; mostly because many vets cant get over Namco getting rid of most of the classic chars.

TTT2 is the essence of what I hate on tekken. The game have a LOT of good mechanics but there are SO many mechanics, SO many characters and SO many exceptions it does not make much sence anymore :(

DOA5U is doll-fest. Cant say more, I cant get over the visuals.

Tekken Revolution is actually very fun to play, and it is free. But because of being free, it makes you pay or play after few games every day - what can be cool (if you do not wish to spend much time with FG) or annoying as hell. Anyway it goes back to the roots and is actually nice game.

SC2HD is HD reincarnation of the old "small arena - nightmare wins / big arena - astaroth wins / kilik may have some chances as well / everyone else is but a joke" imbalance issue we all loved 10 years ago so much :)

SC Lost Sowrds is funny joke if you wish to kill time with 3D fighter - it is 3D fighter that have no multiplayer options :) Besides that (and horrible loading times and same f2p simstem as Tekken Revolution), it is actually damn good game. Shame on namco for putting no VS there :(

And this are all 3Ds that are playable up to this date I am afraid :(

ToyDingo, UroboroSx and Cozby like this.
  7. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    I've never tried SC5. I keep hearing that it's good. Hopefully we can have a new 3D fighter on PS4 soon.

If VF: Final Showdown was not around I wouldn't be playing any fighting game at all. There just isn't anything else out there.

8. Pai~Chun

Pai~Chun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    I still see people from here playing Tekken 6. A few even on the old VF5 sometimes ;)
    The older DoAs as well, might be some people out there still on those, and for sure, saw plenty of VF tags checking out SCII when that was re-released last year.
    Playing mostly 2D for the last 25 years, FS really gave me the taste for polygon gaming again running in true hi-res, but I have no idea where to turn next. Doubt VF6 will appear for ages :(
    Some of the DoA chars look fun, but the way they keep changing everything around so frequently is kinda off-putting. I still play stuff like 3s which has been set in stone for like 15 years now, not patched up and down month after month, heh.
    Does seem a shame Sega never competed with Namco on the SC series, using the Last Bronx licence and the modern VF engines. Tantalising to see in FS now, stuff like the sword poses on the Chans, Eileen's staff or Aoi's little dagger, and think, "what if..." :cool:

9. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    If I will define SCV, I will define it as "the mix of the best from VF and Tekken"
    It is more casual and less "deep" then VF, also more mash-friendly; there is a lot of graphic "glitter" etc, yet it is ballanced and very fun to play. If I will have community here around, I will play this besides VF for sure.

UroboroSx likes this.
  10. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    Hmm... I would check out SC5 but I am trying to transition away from last gen so I am not buying any more PS3 games.

11. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    If you wanna just check, go for SC Lost Swords, it is F2P

12. Kokujin

Kokujin Active Member

I used to predominately play Tekken up until I bought VF4:Evo around 10 years ago on a whim and I never went back.VF seems to be the only series trying to make sense, for every thing other fighters get right they fumble a bunch of other areas.A lot of these other fighters are fine for casual play, but the more you delve into their systems, the more you see its shortcomings.That's just my experience.

13. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    UFC Undisputed 3. its not an arcade fighter but it is a 3D Mixed Martial Arts fighter and IMO Its FN Masterpiece. Although online servers are down EA Sports is making a new one and will be out December 2014, The single player and two player modes are worth 3 or 4 times the price of the game. Its about as close as you can get to a 3D mixed martial arts combat simulator.

14. Iamtheone1983

Iamtheone1983 Active Member

Hopefully capcom will come through for us this year... I know they have announced the new street fighter, but it would be awesome if they did something for us "3d-tards"

15. Lygophilia

Lygophilia Well-Known Member

I can't really get into any, but the last attempt was Tekken Tag Tournament 2. I felt Tekken 4 was the only daring one from the series, but kept the fundamentals really there, instead of the junk from what was after it and reconverted it back to Tekken 3. However, Zafina and Jinpachi was a nice touch.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014