1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Am i too late?

Discussion in 'New Starter' started by Poise, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Poise

Poise Member

XBL:
    TreeGawd
    I finally have some time set up, in the midst of getting everything i was planning for to become more self sufficient in my personal life, i have time to learn this game and play on a more serious level. But why? Only because this is personal, i love deep fighting games. A new game might come along at some point, as of now nobody knows. Regardless of the future, i want to get good at this game in the now, for my own entertainment. Am i too late? Can i reach the feeling of accomplishment playing and finally breaking through the wall of understanding in this game? I often found that feeling playing with others at my level, but it seems like in this game i just have to play against vets who are still around to get any good.

I played a bit in this game before tekken 7 came out( my original fighter game), under a different GT:The Poise Demon, so shout out to those i played with back then, Jason Elbow AKT and STL_Tim in the list of those along with a few kage players i can't really recall. I was getting alright at the game but then jumped into tekken just to be dissapointed with the most user friendly fighting game in the tekken series, i had to leave.

Now i am back here looking for help, help in understanding, and help in finding that great feeling of self-expression when you finally live the fundamentals you've been only reading about. We learn the most through experience, and im not finding that right now playing against the cpu....Can i get some help? Any noob reading this and feeling the same dont hesitate to hmu, we can make something happen!!!

Thanks for being such a welcoming community overall, looking forward to responses from noobs and vets alike:coffee:[DP]

beanboy and Aze_ITA like this.
  2. Poise

Poise Member

XBL:
    TreeGawd
    P.S i hope even mentioning these two players in the same post doesn't bring an unnecessary amount of pride or ego, this is for those willing to help save a true fighting gamer's opinion on a great game. The lack of community makes it unplayable in 2018 except for in small bits imo

3. SNAKE BOSS

SNAKE BOSS Well-Known Member

Hey what is up man and welcome to vfdc. We played for a bit on xbl a couple of days ago. My name is WhiteFangViking on there. You are not late because you can start anytime. Yea not as much vets play online anymore but you can still find people to dance with. I do not not really play as often either especially online but I do get on sometimes. This site is what you need to improve and find people to play. Just explore, ask questions and most will help you out. It will take time but you will start getting better if you continue doing it. Like with everything else. So welcome again and have fun.

jimi Claymore and Poise like this.
  4. Poise

Poise Member

XBL:
    TreeGawd
    it was you i recently played against and you told me to come here! my GT is ThreeOGod

SNAKE BOSS likes this.
  5. Ares-olimpico

Ares-olimpico Well-Known Member Content Manager Lion

PSN:
    ares-olimpico
    Never too late to start this beatiful hard and rewarding way that is VF.
    I am a mid level VFer, for now only have psn acount.
    I'll help you in all i can playing if you need and with your questions.
    Wellcome.

Poise, jimi Claymore and Stl_Tim like this.
  6. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

Best place i to hop on VF arena's weekly streams and play whoever shows up there. Most importantly, watch your sets afterward and analyze your mistakes and choices and try to close gaps in your gameplay. Watching your own sets is like the hyperbolic timer chamber of gitgud in fgc.

Poise and jimi Claymore like this.
  7. Poise

Poise Member

XBL:
    TreeGawd
    Thanks guys, ive already learned a bunch in the past 2 days staying dedicated, as much as i can around a busy schedule and a child on the way lol. I might be busy tonight tho for vf arena but hopefully plans drop so i can play! At the least, i can watch lol

8. Aze_ITA

Aze_ITA Member

Just to keep this conversation alive, I'm here for the same reason as Poise. I got some time and a passion for fighting games, and being very disappointed in Tekken 7, I think that it's time to look for something more deep and rewarding, without thinking if it’s late or not. It’s just fantastic to get into something, and slowly discover how it works. So, i’m going to add you soon for some games together if you’re still there. I’m totally noob right now, trying to correct my mind from some odd tekkenish fundamentals I got, that I’m realizing that don’t work here. Pokes, dashing, launchers.. it’s hard to reinvent a mental fighting setup. But you seem ready to have a lot of patience with everybody!

9. oneida

oneida Long Arm of the Lau Silver Supporter

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    have fun and don't shy away from asking any questions.

10. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

@Poise

Same here. My story is kinda similar, so I can relate.
    I like deep fighting games too. Which is why I like playing Virtua Fighter alot.
    And I also, still play Soul Calibur 1, on the dreamcast too.

I myself used to play Tekken, back in the late 90's as a kid. Eg. Tekken 3.
    It was unfortunately, the first 3d fighting game I ever played.:p
    And even when I got really good in Tekken, I was so disappointed, at how odd, weird, super basic, and clunky the combat in that series was, that like alot gamers, I stopped playing it.

Then months later, I started learning to play more advanced games, that were a huge step up above Tekken, like Soul Calibur 1 and Virtua Fighter. Moreso later on, Virtua Fighter.

To answer: "You're not too late!":D
    "You're late, but not too late, to learn Virtua Fighter
    .":p
    And learning now, is better than learning later on.

I hope you're having fun playing VF. And hopefully by now, you're now able to compete, with veteran/better players.

Good luck on your VF journey Poise.(y)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019