1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

And taking the prize for movies you must NOT see....

Discussion in 'VF.TV' started by CreeD, Apr 7, 2002.

1. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I guess it's media, and I guess it's VF related...
    if you want to see derrick give his take on VF4 vs. tekken4 in a sort of video console game review, the url is:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.uktvjourno.force9.co.uk/Tk_Vs_VF.mov>http://www.uktvjourno.force9.co.uk/Tk_Vs_VF.mov</a>.
    50 megs tho, just to see lots of derrick talking and some VERY scrubby gameplay.
    What's sad is that derrick calls tekken superior in half a dozen ways right off the bat, then grudgingly says VF gameplay is superior later. But anyone watching the video will hear his first words, and then see halfway competent tekken playing along with flashy cute tekken throws and floats... followed by absolute scrub-level, buttonmashing, "repeated high kick akira vs. PPP lion" vf4. Gotta love dynamic league for all the 'helpful publicity' they give to VF4 and themselves. Another nail in the coffin for intelligent western gaming.

2. chingdude

chingdude Well-Known Member

creed,

i'm not convinced that the t4 stuff was any less scrubby. the featured gameplay demonstrations for t4 and vf4 each showed the players whiffing throws against airborne opponents and hopping arbitrarily, both telltale signs of buttonmashers being at the controls. i suppose the tv production crew are the ones playing, but the weird thing is that the selective editing of the footage, with its frequent cuts from the direct feed masher vs masher and masher vs cpu gameplay to the players' reactions, seems intended to have us believe that the dynamic league dudes are the ones actually playing.

3. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

doh, I guess it's harder for me to spot scrubby tekken gameplay. I dunno if it was the CPU or what, but the hwaorang player at least landed stuff like d+4, 4 and u/f+4,3,4, not to mention occasionally blocked (although that's sort of automatic).
    There wasn't even a hair of half-competent VF footage unless you count the attract mode.

It's sad that derrick is promoting the league, these games, and gaming in general... but does the promotion with the scrubbiest, least eyeball-friendly playing imaginable. It's not like he doesn't have access to competent players, as much as we'd like to make fun of the UK's skills.
    Oh well, I'm holding out hope for this 84 meg amact clip, which is stilll downloading due to their unholy slow server.

4. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Oh well, I'm holding out hope for this 84 meg amact clip, which is stilll downloading due to their unholy slow server.

Yeah, I wonder why they don't use Rizm instead, like they normally do...?

5. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

act.org implies they got their own dns, and it's nonprofit so it's a cheapass connection I guess. For all I know this is DSL or something.
    Rizm costs money, but I wonder how much? More than a few ppl like cause and adamyuki have been wondering where they can find an unlimited bandwidth place to store clips...

6. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

"Another nail in the coffin for intelligent western gaming."

i'm western.... /versus/images/icons/mad.gif

7. RIZ

RIZ Well-Known Member

(I have not seen this movie yet.)

I'm just going to bring up this point. The comparisons that are made constently about Tekken 4 and VF4 is simply ridiculous now. Neither one of these games are in any way the same other than the fact that they are both good 3D fighters.

I personally like Tekken 4 over vf4, that's me, but sad part is, I feel that vf4 has a better system. We all know Tekken players complaint with the game is about the high amount of prorities the jabs got and believe me, T4 is one hell of a cheezy game. You have any sense of style when you play that game, you should expect to lose, but it takes skill to play on reaction. Skill in T4 game comes in the form of timing, reaction, and execution.

VF4 is another love of mine though, except I dislike the concept of the rock, paper, scissors. Thought more could have gone into it. The transistion for a Tekken player to go to VF4 isn't that hard . Just plays different and you gotta be quick and patient with gameplay

I think I like Tekken better only because I've been playing it for such a long time, but I have no REAL complaints about vf4. I need some comp though. Then I think it'll get real interseting for me. That's one thing I could count on with Tekken, a good amount of skilled players in the community that will be around.

-RIZ

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I actually disagree, although not out of any love for tekken or derrick's review ..
    VF and tekken ARE similar in that the basic system employed by tekken is the same as VF... high-mid-low float/stun/combo... block-attack-throw-lowthrow-reverse-multi-etc. They share a lot, VF just does this stuff more elegantly, and with a greater concern for balance and brainpower.

They're also press indisputably the two biggest 3-D fighters, so a comparison of them is fair. It's just uninformed, inaccurate, scrubby comparisons that I object to, especially ones that make me think of "commercial" rather than "news broadcast" which is how derrick's came across (as opposed to the gamerweb VF preview).