1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Anonymous posting

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Myke, Sep 23, 1999.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I've found out that someone has already written a 'hack' to allow for free Anonymous postings so that the username will be editable. But there are a few things you must know about this hack:

- Obviously, you can't post anonymously using a pre-registered username
    - If you've been posting anonymously under a username, say "muhammed", and then someone comes along and registers the username "muhammed", then the previous anonymous posts will belong to the registered muhammed.
    - IP addresses will be displayed with all posts, anonymous or otherwise.

By allowing Anonymous posting, those people who have problems with cookies will still be able to participate in the board. So if everyone is happy with the above conditions for the proposed anonymous hack (i.e. I don't hear any complaints by the weekend) then I'm going to install it.

<pre>_______
    Myke
    </pre>

Pai~Chun likes this.
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

That's absolutely fine with me. =] That way, I don't have to specifically run IE (which I utterly hate because my computer's so darn absolutely slow) and I can do stuff with the normal Netscape. I say, yeah, install it. =]

Again, another point about IP. MUST we have it on open display ??? I mean, can't we have it concealed or oththerwise ? (allowing those to see it to see it that it... like in BC.) I remember bringing this point up sometime back. Meanwhile, Gimme access to this board !!! =] We can deal with those Anonymous forms of postings by vandals and such at a later point in time.

-Rulakir

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Rulakir, the dangers of having your IP address is highly overrated, especially since most ISPs dynamically assign IP addresses. They are, however, still very useful for differentiating between posters without accounts, as the difference in range tend to be narrow enough to make a good guess who is who.

ice-9 | Sennin

4. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Unfortunately, that little 'hack' I was proposing to use for our board allowing anonymous posters to use usernames other than "anonymous" was for a much older version of the board. I'm sorry I didn't spot this initially. Obviously, just applying the hack didn't work, and in fact, the entire board stopped working.

I tried to spend some time trudging through the perl code (1000s of lines worth) trying to see how the 'hack' was done, but like all hacks, the bloody thing was undocumented, no code comments, nothing. Seeing as it was a hack to a version of code much older than the one we're currently running made it much harder to follow. Otherwise I could just produce simple difference listings with the code.

The developer plans on incorporating the feature though in a future release, but hasn't given an ETA as of yet. In the mean time, the Anonymous posting feature will remain as it is, until either a later release incorporates the feature, or I manage to 'hack' it myself. Sorry about that /images/icons/frown.gif

<pre>_______
    Myke
    </pre>

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah, but you forget.....
    Singapore doesn't have dynamic IPs.... =[
    We're stuck using STATIC IP addresses.....
    which, on its own, gives me an awful fear that some jerk with nothing better to do would just go all out to make my life miserable. =[