1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Anti Bryant Strats?

Discussion in 'New Starter' started by 00000000, Dec 2, 2012.

1. 00000000

00000000 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ZeroLovesDnB
    Both of these characters seem WAY too good. Can anyone provide me with what their weaknesses are? I'm a Vanessa player and I'm finding the only way I beat decent-good Bryant players is just by out thinking them.

2. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Be specific. What character do you want help playing against and what are you having trouble with? Sarah and Jacky are both completely different characters to play and fight against.

3. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    I guess I'll share some general mindsets. I play Sarah, but I only know a little bit about Jacky.

Sarah and Jacky are both inherent n00b killers in this game. Jacky has alot of dangerous strings that leave you knocked down for oki, or in various states of disadvantage, which could lead to even nastier combos if you become predictable with abare. The first and best thing you can do against jacky (IMO) is go into training mode and learn his strings, and how to block them. Jacky's strings are, in my experience, what kills newer players the most. Next thing to know is how to deal various situations involving blocking Jacky. Just because you block Jacky's move doesn't necessarily mean you can attack him yet. IMO, Jacky has the best mid-range game in FS -- stuff like his elbow has a longer reach, and his backdash can lead to nasty options like beat knuckle combos or 6K launchers depending on the situation you allow yourself to be in. When you get to this point, then you need to start asking specific questions.

Sarah is dangerous in her own unique way. #1 - If a Sarah player senses that you don't know how to deal with Flamingo stance (most n00bs don't, and it's also difficult for stronger players who don't play the character often), then Sarah will walk all over you. Period. Honestly, Sarah is a bully -- she's a very offensive-heavy character with great options to get into frame advantage, and lots of nitaku/santaku situations. But unlike Jacky and most other VF characters, her defensive options are pretty bad. She'll run away with the match if you let her get started, but if you don't, then the holes in her options are more easily exposed (though she can still be scary with proper yomi).

First and main thing you should do is learn how to beat flamingo. Learn her normal stance Flamingo starters, especially 4K, and learn what is guaranteed afterward on block/hit. Normally you will be forced to choose between sidestep or crouch block. This will force Sarah players to accept that they can't beat you on auto-pilot, and they will have to make yomi choices to expose your defense.

Shinobi and 00000000 like this.
  4. Chibiaya

Chibiaya Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    00000000 likes this.
  5. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Oh yeah, I just read, you're a VANESSA player? Oh snap, she is a good character against everyone that's not Taka from what I know. And not to mention, she is one of Sarah's worst matchups in the game. Get to know your character better - especially Defensive Stance. With her sabakis and counters, you can take offensive options away from your opponent, and you can absolutely destroy Flamingo if it's predictable.

00000000 likes this.
  6. 00000000

00000000 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ZeroLovesDnB
    Thanks a TON BLACKSTAR. The info is pretty rudimentary but it helped me understand that the problems I have with both of them are common issues. I'll definitely spend more time recording various situations to see if I can find advantage or holes. Much appreciated.

Thanks Chibiya!!! I'm super delighted to find that there are videos pointing out how to take them down. I have a lot of studying to do!

7. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Sarah is in general stronger than before, but you can low punch flamingo better than before. In vanilla it was about delayed low punch, but now there is no need to delay because old FLA K is no more. Low punch until Sarah shows she can deal with it.

There is
    - FLA 4K, which jumps over low punch for minor damage from any disadvantage,
    - FLA P+K the low punch sabaki which gives huge combo but is terribly vulnerable to anything that isn't a low punch
    - FLA 6KK which will beat low punch from +4 (ie when 4K is blocked or if any flamingostarter hits at least normal hit)

Crouching on the other hand doesnt work against flamingo the way it did before, because FLA 3K will now stun to combo on ANY hit.

You can also try evade but be advised that she can launch you from evade as well with FLA K+GK.
    Sarah's mixups from flamingo are now stronger than before and there is no simple solution to dealing with flamingo I'm afraid.

In general, Sarah has a slight difficulty dealing with poking from range (she is strongest up close), so use that if your character can do it.

Jacky, there aren't many good Jackys out there really. Id recommend checking out his frames so you know how to punish his punishable stuff since Jacky's are bound to do some of that. Do not try to evade him much, he is one of the best characters against evading in my opinion.

I'd hazard a guess that most 'bad' Jackys just try to stay at midrange and use moves like beat knuckle and sidekick. Jacky has lots of decent mid-range moves, so try to go close and pressure him with your own pokes.
    Find the rhythm of the fight and hold your ground. I wish I had some simpler advice to give but Jacky really doesn't have many weaknesses on paper.