1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Anti-evade on reaction

Discussion in 'Eileen' started by SkatanMilla, Dec 11, 2008.

1. SkatanMilla

SkatanMilla Well-Known Member

What's peoples move of choice for this?
    I've been toying around and K seems pretty solid since it gives the 6K juggle against a lot of characters, then there's also 9K+G which is more risky and difficult to land consistently but has more payoff. Of course there's also PK for the easiest solution and you get to keep pressure going.

My take is that it's better to anticipate the evade and beat it out on reaction rather than throwing out K+G due to punish when ducked or 214P, though 214P isn't that bad to throw out every now and then though.
    What's everyone else's view on this.

2. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I'm really bad at doing it on reaction I have to be predicting it to a degree but I LOVE P+K delay to catch those evaders. It's sweet when you get CH P+K,P+K,_6PK for a huge amount of dmg and you still have some frames to work with at the end to keep momentum going.

I use 6P+K dealyed too but not as often. Just when I'm more unsure if they're going to evade or duck

3. SkatanMilla

Kind of off topic; CH P+K, K, 6K is a better combo imo since it gives knockdown and doesn't deal that much less damage. Of course against characters that don't get juggled by K, 6K then P+K, PK is a better ender.

4. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Are you seriously saying that your (choice-based) reaction time is consistently less than 150 milliseconds?

5. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I like keeping my opponents up with adv in my favor mainly cuz my oki game isn't as strong as the rest of my game. Does 6K give you enough time to set up OMP's for tech rollers?

6. SkatanMilla

KoD: When I do a move which I know they might evade after, or if I block a move they might do evade after I just check if they did it or not and press K when they do.

Tricky: I think 6K does give setup for OMP on tech roll on some characters, I'm not sure however, otherwise you can always go for 3K f you don't have enough time for the OMP.

7. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Then either you're playing people who don't guard after they evade, or you have quite literally superhuman reaction times.

Failed evade is 23 frames, K is 15 frames. That gives you an 8 frame window ( 135 ms or so ) to see the opponent twitch; distinguish an evade from a jab, guard, ducking, or whatever; and decide whether to push K. Reacting to any twitch, maybe you're olympic sprinter caliber, but reacting to recognizing an evade? I don't see how that's possible. And this doesn't even include situations where the opponent cancels the evade.

Delay ~ standing palm type launcher is a pretty standard way to deal with evades, and is basically what you're talking about with K, but it's done as a guess (or if you insist, a reaction to the move that precedes an evade) not as a reaction to seeing an evade.

8. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

If you anticipate possible evades it's certainly not impossible to confirm a 14 frame move on reaction to the evade. Certainly not easy and as said, a great deal of anticipation and fuck up factor goes into it, but I've seen it happen with some people.

Personally I can't do it in VF5, it felt easier in Evo, even if there's just a frame or so differing.

<span style='font-size: 8pt'>(It's also easier when you listen to the opponents controller like some people do...)</span>

9. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    Dunno if this a valid counter-strat for VF but I've been told gosu players leave empty buttons in Cvs2 (and SF3) to throw off parries /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

10. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I believe its possible to react to the evade animation and punish a standard failed evade. However, you have more or less to guess that a evade is coming. Skatan didn't say that he could separate an evade from any other thing in that time.

I havent tried this personally in VF5 yet, but I might, as I recently found out I have better reactions than I thought I had, and that playing Akira is degenerative to any reaction-based stuff..

Also, I agree with KoD that it propably wouldnt work on a canceled evade like /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif. But people dont throw too many of those when their attacks are blocked.

11. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Am I just misreading this? I'm not disagreeing that training reactions to a predicted twitch is impossible, but there's just not enough time to see the evade animation, distinguish it, and react accordingly.

I'll give a free modded vshg to anyone who can 10 / 10 correctly distinguish between a blocked move ~ jab, blocked move ~ evade, and blocked move ~ guard; and punish only the evade with delay 14-15f move. ( counterhit the jab == you lose, counterhit by jab == you lose, your standing palm is blocked == you lose, evade that you dont punish == you lose)

12. SkatanMilla

I was wrong, the best I can get reactivley and consistently is PK, K did not land consistently.