1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Any interest for semi-regular, smaller UK room-play?

Discussion in 'Xbox Live' started by Pai~Chun, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Pai~Chun

Pai~Chun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    Hiya guys, just wondering if any of the other UK based tags still kicking around on Live, fancy all playing together occasionally in a room on there? I can host pretty sweetly with fibre-optic, and have a few UK tags on list who I still see playing and will often join a room with me, and a few international players.
    Keeping it based purely to domestic connections for a change though, should give the very best conditions for VF net-play. Not everyone can play offline in this country, at least not regularly, so this could be a nice opportunity to keep the game ticking over while leveling your own progress up at the same time. Do bring your mic along, and we can chat about the 'good old days' of Sega etc., and maybe offer some in-game tips 'n' tricks to each other.
    From the tags I'm about to list, we have quite a mixture of skills, knowledge and character usage within FS now. If anyone is uncomfortable about being in this post, I can rapidly amend the index, no worries.

Ok then, so this is who I can think of right now, who could be available for this. If you are reading this and know of other UK VF players with a decent connection on Live, point them here!

Tags I still often see and play with in rooms:

Electro Lex (multiple chars)
    Lightwing (FE & PA)
    MADSYSTEM TKK (KA, GO & BR)
    Infamous Geezer (AK, PA?)
    Myself, Lishao, lol, with Pai of course and others

Other Tags who have the game, but I don't bump into that often now:

MarlyJay (multiple chars)
    RORORORO (multiple chars)
    Zeextremekid (VA, PA?)
    Senzankou aka Feck (AK, GO?)
    XsminceX (BL and others)
    SakeLee (SH)
    Orgone Mike (VA, GO?)
    ObliviousHook, formerly dfc78 (PA)
    MrTootyFruity73 (AK) - this is a long term passionate VF player from Wales. Haven't fought for a while
    Seidon (BL) - might still have connection issues or just busy with real life
    ScottishGamer97 (JN, GO, JE) - suffers from shared connection, but might be able to join at certain times
    colddaze (LA) - think this is another Scottish player. May play at quite different times to me
    bifothemonkey - OK, I *think* this is a UK tag, and they were using Pai last time I saw them (about a month ago)
    Gameztrix (AK) - doesn't seem keen on waiting in rooms. Shame as has fast line and strong combos
    Grimjoww (JA) - only ever seen in ranked so far, and even then, not often

Tags I know have FS, but are either on other games, or the account has become dormant:

UK Rayne (LI) - come back man, you had a great style and connection... ;)
    Lomack1978 (LI) - played early on fine and still have on friends list, but have not seen for ages now
    CheekyChi (JN) - used be around quite a bit. Now playing on Xbox One, and no idea if FS works on that?
    OtakuZombie (?) - think this guy is on a silver right now, not sure what's happening, shame as he did seem really keen
    optiUK (WO) - really long pedigree arcade player, like some others listed above here. May just not rate net-play
    m3D1on (FE) - another person going back to at least VF4Evo era. Have not really seen him online much though, alas
    momoteer (KA) - super strong ninja action, but hasn't logged in for over a 100 days now, so may not ever be coming back. There were rumours this was quite a famous offline player...

________

So... I dunno what time is good for everyone? I appreciate we all have other commitments in life, and it can be difficult to catch people online at the right times etc. Shall we say Friday evenings around 7PM onwards, and see how that goes? I will try to send out some bulk texts over Live, bump this, and use the shoutbox to keep things coordinated close to the date (November 22nd is the first kick-off).

Hope to see you there!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    MDSPrime and Manjimaru like this.
  2. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    No PSN? :(

3. Electro_Jacky

Electro_Jacky Well-Known Member

PSN:
    electrolex
    XBL:
    electro lex
    I'm down just invite me if you see me online

Pai~Chun likes this.
  4. Pai~Chun

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    Heh, it's the Xbox sub-forum man (@Ivor) ;) We could try something similar on PSN, but apart from yourself, I can't really think of many UK players on there, plus the room feature on there tends to be glitched, and no one really talks...
    I know good offline players like Aion and Kitchener have PSN accounts, but when or if they ever play now, I have no idea. I tried to play Odelay on there a few times, but it was super choppy. Many of the tags I've listed here for XBL, I got pretty good connections with.
    At the end of the day, it is a precise 60fps game, and from what I've seen so far, PSN often just doesn't cut the mustard for trying to play it fairly and accurately. Bit of a swizz really.
    You can probably pick up the 360 console pretty cheap these days, especially 2nd hand. Never too late to experience this cool Sega game on what the other side has to offer!

5. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    For the Friday nights I'm home, I'm interested. I usually don't like the connection online, but if it's UK folk it should be decent at the least.

Pai~Chun likes this.
  6. Pai~Chun

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    OK, sweet, thanks, and GGs last night in the 'warm-up' if you will, hehe. Man, I wish my Aoi wasn't so dry, gotta try and step her up a bit one day. Will probably be running mainly Pai on Friday, hmm, let's see what chars people wheel out.
    Already sent one bulk text out over Live; will follow that up later today. Forgot about Colddaze on there, saw him logged on recently, will alert him to this too!

Best conditions for VF net-play, in my own experience this year:

Fibre-optic, wired directly to the console with a Cat6e cable (get these off eBay for about a fiver delivered). Service I use is Plusnet unlimited, with the prioritised gaming add-on, so no slow-down during peak hours.
    Low ping HDMI monitor. Something like this should get the job done, and should last well into next-gen. Makes a huge difference from playing on a regular plasma TV, or connecting via old style sockets.
    No wireless pad! (seriously, does anyone do this? just checking ;)) Again, if you look on Amazon, you can get a pretty sweet stick for VF off there for around a ton delivered.
    Regarding headsets that plug right into the stick case, you'll need to check carefully it has the right jack on it (like regular walkman headphones basically). I just use a basic Ms one which I think came with Halo 4, about 8 quid off eBay.
    Comfy chair, snacks and drinks etc., maybe have some tunes playing off the PC, or a DVD on a second screen so you don't get bored waiting your turn in a room with more than like 4 people in it (alternatively, keep winning!)

Right, I'll crack on then and see if I can rustle up any more tags for this. Basic format is winner stays on, use whoever you want, but do try and have a few outfits set :) If you're in the room but not playing, do try and speak or text if you want to be skipped. If the clock is on pause for over a minute, it probably means invites are being sent out to players just logging on, so your patience is appreciated in advance. Cheers :thumbs-up:

7. VirtuaSEAN

VirtuaSEAN New Member

XBL:
    VirtuaSEAN
    I'm up for this because so far, I've struggled to get a match on Live. Ranked or Player match, I'm not too fussy.

See you's all around.

Pai~Chun likes this.
  8. Pai~Chun

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    Hi there Sean, great to see you here :D I'll be starting the room up tonight, about 2 hours from this post! I'll log onto Live in a sec and send you a friend request. If you haven't played in rooms before on Final Showdown, it's simply a case of winner stays on (unless otherwise notified, which can happen via mic or text, if people have phone calls or want the loo etc.), and when it's your turn to come in as the 2nd from top player in the lobby list, just press the A button to select P1 or P2, that's it!

Cool, catch ya in a bit hopefully, plus everyone else who may drop in over the two hours+ that I should be able to keep this running for :)

9. Pai~Chun

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    UPDATE: Well, thanks to everyone who came to play last night, we were going for over 3 hours in the end, great VF session!
    Hope you can play a bit longer next time Sean. There's loads of info on here about Brad, and some good clips as well (check the recent 'RAW' matches with Blackula & Libertine for example, pure Brad mirrors).
    Smince, I hope you can get the connection fixed for another week man, be some spice to the mix to see Blaze in the house.
    Marly, Lightwing and Madsystem who all played much longer, good games guys, nice to see about two thirds of the cast in action. I'll try and train up my Lau a bit this week I think, and maybe use him a bit more next time.
    If anyone wants to start earlier next Friday, or change the day, do please give some feedback in this thread, or across the console etc. I know some connections here do slow down a bit after 6, so maybe a 5pm start might work better for some. I'm fairly flexible to host from now to late December.
    If UK tags are turning up regular, maybe going into next year, we could get some kind of ranbats (ranking battles) going over a few months, and possibly even dish out some prizes? *rummages through shoe-boxes of loose Mega Drive carts* ;)

10. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    My brother has my xbox atm. I'll be able to play some more in the new year. Have a much better connection now than I did before as well :)

Pai~Chun and kingo like this.
  11. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Good. I want my rival back. Prepare to be smashed. Start running..... Nooooowwwwww!!

12. kingo

kingo My bitch G0d3L is a scrub Content Manager Aoi

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4
    Let me some of him too, marly ! Thanks !!:D

13. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    i want some of him too =P
    if u gonna play, i must join it =)

14. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    You guys have moved to the UK now? :D

15. Pai~Chun

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    Will be hosting tonight guys, about 6 hours from this post. Spoken with Fruity and Lomack, they said they'd be up for it, but it will be a case of seeing if they're logged on and inviting them in at the time. Thank you for your patience in advance if the clock gets stopped for a few minutes ;)
    If I'm not too tired after a few hours of play, we can always start inviting some mainland EU tags in (there is a Euro room thread, but no one ever seems to bump it). Last week we even had an infamous player from Boston join us late into the session, but I am aware not everyone has the type of connection able to fight overseas.

Look forward to finally playing you in 2014 Seidon! :cool:

16. MDSPrime

MDSPrime Grappler & Part time Ninja

XBL:
    Pilchard LoveR
    I'll be on again now I've fixed my Xbox's problems, had to re-download FS and costumes along with most other things from my download history :(, gonna keep playing on my alt profile for now till I get a nextgen console, but I can't think of a single reason to buy one at the moment.

Pai~Chun likes this.
  17. Pai~Chun

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    Sweet, sending friend request now to Pilchard tag, lol (more of a mackerel fan myself, since tuna almost doubled in price, but that's another story!)

I have a room up right now if anyone wants in!!

18. Pai~Chun

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    Heh, so who's still about UK wise, on the 'old' 360 eh? ;)

Currently back on there, had a few rooms up and running, little sessions here and there. Mostly playing Americans I think, after midnight. See Electro & Marly are still going strong (literally), come on, who else is still playing, post here, get in touch, let's hook something up!

Will chase up some gamertags in the next few days, mostly on console. Should be on there until at least mid July at least, pretty hungry to play again after some time away :) I realise SF Ultra is out now plus the new consoles, but only asking for a few hours a week here - let's keep VF alive in the UK, remember the Gamesmaster challenge good ole days if you need any nostalgic inspiration ;)

[G][P][K]

19. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

What's up my old friends! Thought I'd see what's happening on VFDC having not been on it for a few months. I've been itching to get back into VF but I don't have a 360 and I don't really want buy one just for a bit of VF. If only there was a UK tournament that could insentivise me to getting one. Does anyone have a spare 360 I could buy off them cheap? Would be good to get back into it.

Pai~Chun likes this.
  20. Pai~Chun

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    Good to see you got it back up and running man :)
    OK, UK based, I think Marly & me, Electro and a player called TaintedSeal (AK & SA) are still about. Spoke with Boris, he reckons his 360 won't connect to the internet anymore. No idea where feck went. Pilchard, maybe see if I can drag him off Street Fighter. Gameztrix still about every day with a fantastic connection, but only up for 1on1, fair play.
    So maybe, 10 'til midnight maybe, get something rolling?
    Remember guys, send messages on console or here to co-ordinate, sometimes gotta pause that clock a little while for the next man to come in, it's all good.