1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Any VF5 Ideas ?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by ONISTOMPA, Apr 10, 2003.

1. ONISTOMPA

ONISTOMPA Well-Known Member

What would you like to see in VF5 ? I personally hope they bring Taka back ; at least 3 or 4 VF3 stages ; a little bit more interactions with walls ; A BAD GUY !!! Jeffry in a black suit with a jerry curl looking like Barry White "My love... My everything".

2. tzgorr1

tzgorr1 Well-Known Member

I want to see torn clothing and items(hats, crowns, sunglasses, etc) being knocked off.

See spectators around you and cheering or booing.

Tag mode.

3. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

i dont wanna see another vf5....in at least 10 years

4. martialfanatic

martialfanatic Well-Known Member

You mean besides no crossover characters /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif?

I don't really know. If Taka were in Evo, I would have been 100% content. I guess I've never been much of an innovator.

I wouldn't want to go back to multi-level stages though. And I'm happy with the wall system. I guess that coming from Tekken, I like the simplicity of VF's wall system. Don't hit the wall, you won't get screwed. In Tekken you got wall tech rolls, unless you hit it sideways, blah-blah.

Tag doesn't seem like a good idea to me. It would be cool, but for VF5, no. Make a VF Team Battle or something. Keep the main game one-on-one.

Me personally, I just want the usual. Revolutionary graphics, interesting new characters (the military style as promised. The korean style I'd like to see is Hwarang Do), awesome backgrounds, and the same quality fighting game we've been playing. But then again, that's all but guaranteed.

Taka back would kick ass, but I kinda doubt it will happen. Oh well. I'll just keep going back to VF3 to play as the best Sumo in a fighting game.

Damn...I'm sorry guys. I've been disagreeing with so many people this past week /versus/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. I actually feel guilty.

5. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Top ten things I don't want to see in VF5:

-Crossover Characters
    -Tag Mode
    -Air Control
    -Robots, Monkeys, Flying Creatures
    -Weapons
    -Environmental damage, cliffs, trees, etc.
    -Area Damage, weakened limbs, crippling moves, decapitation.
    -Fatalities
    -Unlockable / Secret characters
    -Super Combos / Alpha Counters / Desperation attacks.

Things I'd like to see:

-Sloped and Irregular rings (at the very least, non square)
    -E Button, and in general better movement options/abilities..
    -Better character balance, though the current balance is good.
    -More interesting sabaki and reversal stuff, you should get a good reward for knowing EXACTLY what the opponent will do, or being very close. More stuff like goh's df+P+K for example. Bring back ub+P+K kickflip reversals /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    -Some sort of additional canned movement option for every character. A lot of the characters have interesting movement tricks like brad's sways and jacky's ability to go instantly from backing away to crouch dashing forward using shuffle step. Aoi can cancel the recovery of her attacks into YY stance and from there into a dodge or dodge attack. Everyone should be able to do neat things to move and avoid attacks.
    -Prettying up the graphics - different weather and times for the various stages would be welcome. Lau's rain effect, sans the puddles, can be done on any stage. Taking jeffry's stage from day to dusk was a pallette swap with some lighting changes. They might as well make it doable on all the stages. On the subject of graphics, give us a graphics engine good enough to give us really dazzling water effects and maybe some reflection and realistic metal too. For example whatever it is that keeps all that water from flooding pai's evo stage should reflect the characters and light and look "phong-y". The water in Kage's original stage should have hints of true transparency and not look jelloish. Also, give us the chance to ring people out into the water again.
    -Since vf.net lets people customize their costumes heavily, having a few choosable presets (especially for those not on vf.net) would be nice, i.e. a kage player can select a version of him with swords and ponytail right away. Three + costume choices per character isn't new, but I don't think any game has done it for their entire roster. There are so many people who walk by american VF4 machines having no idea that any given character can be remade 10 different ways to project a unique image.
    -VF.net or something similar everywhere. If you have to resort to an NBA Jam style password system just because we're afraid of ruining the expensive card readers... fair enough. Give americans a true, working vf.net and just use some sort of HDD to save all the info rather than magnetic cards.
    -Multiple versions - don't be afraid to tweak the gameplay and release new versions.
    -As long as I'm dreaming, give every character the same animation overhaul jeffry got in evo ... redoing all the old animations left over from VF1/2/3 ... especially with an eye towards getting rid of ugly/unrealistic/impractical ones.

Yay!

6. replicant

replicant Well-Known Member

I like CreeD's idea's, but I personally do *NOT* want to see the "E" button or slopes again in VF. The "E" button was just plain silly and overly abusive. The uphill slopes allow for ridiculously long combo potential. Irregular rings would rule though.

Although, I must add that I am not interested in a VF5 for at least a couple more years myself.

7. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

What the F..... /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

LOL

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Disagree on both counts -

The E button just allowed for a more fluid and well-controlled version of what we can already do now. I'm not saying bring back fast dodges from VF3 necessarily, just give us a button so that there's no possible way to screw up your inputs. A button would also make it easier to do fast switches from dodge to crouch dash and vice versa... so that the abilitiy is no longer just something you see nuts like Shinz try. My point is, how would being able to do a small, slow VF4 dodge become abusive? It's just a tap of a button instead of a tap of a stick.

Re slopes, VF3 combos followed the same model as 4's...
    floater --> jab --> 2 power hits ... or
    floater --> jab --> 3 fast weak hits.

Every character dropped like a rock at six hits in VF3, and in VF4 the dropping effect starts at hit number 4. So I see no risk for abuse, and certainly nothing worse than VF3, which was a fine game. The strongest slope combo that I know of in VF3 was Akira being able to sneak in an extra hit before his usual boring float - p - DLC combo.

9. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

Dont you still have to tap the stick to pick open closed side. Hence wouldnt it be more intuitive just to leave sidestepping as it is, instead of readding a whole button just to do the same thing.

Plus making something easier for the sake of easier some players may say its "scrublike". Players thrive on challenge, and to be able to do things like Shinz does is something to work for. And once it is achieved, it is something that everyone can appreciate.
    Anyhow 3 buttons is good, as it was the original philosphy of VF to have a simplified control system.

For me, Flat stages. Sloped stages can interfere with the game play too much, might as well add enviromental damage /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Plus I dont want to hear the bitching players will do if they get robbed a round because of a slope, because I know I will. Square stages vs Xgonal is a toss up, but im leaning toward Square. In all preference I like square open stages because it adds more to the tournament feel.

10. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

1. No kangaroos, panda bears, fairies, or fire-breathing dragons

2. No slopes.

3. No evade button.

Why make things more complicated by adding a button to do what can already be done? If you think ETEG is hard now, just wait. Will it automatically evade to the correct side against semi-circular attacks? If so, you've just lost some depth. /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

E has always been controllable in button form - neutral + dodge button goes away from the screen, d+dodge goes towards the screen.

Trust me dre, it's no complication. 4 buttons for a VF player isn't like asking Dan Quayle to do nuclear physics. Everyone who played VF3 didn't complain when E was added, but a number of us complained when it was removed.

Simply put, it adds to the movement options available - watch VF3 videos and you will see fluid movement in and out of the screen that just doesn't happen in VF4. If you don't think the addition of K-stepping is worth adding a button, maybe Sega has planned some more movement/stance/evasion options to add to its potential usefulness.

12. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Dont you still have to tap the stick to pick open closed side. Hence wouldnt it be more intuitive just to leave sidestepping as it is, instead of readding a whole button just to do the same thing.

You don't need a stick to do the dodge away from the screen, which is the most common dodging done with the current system (since tapping up doesn't require you to return to neutral before the dodge comes out).

Plus making something easier for the sake of easier some players may say its "scrublike". Players thrive on challenge, and to be able to do things like Shinz does is something to work for. And once it is achieved, it is something that everyone can appreciate.

Easier does not equal more scrublike. Are you labelling all VF3 players more scrubby because they could dodge with a single button tap, when a VF4 player cannot? That's crappy logic. I don't want to add a button for dodging to make the game "scrubbier" any more than you want to make the dodge command [8][2][8][2][8][P][K][G] to make it more "professional".

When a move is hard on purpose and is easily fucked up, that can add to the game in the case of the SPOD or modified double palms. For example in the recent tournament, minami akira anticipates his opponent screwing up a ST --> sgpm --> dbpm (or he may have anticipated something else, we'll never know) and busts out a yoho. The other akira player did a simple f+P and ate the yoho combo for the loss of the match. That's fine. The sgpm to dbpm has supremely tight timing for a reason, so that akira has to work if he wants to be a threat with three throw directions.

However getting a downward dodge when you meant to do a crucifix piledriver is not fine. Getting a dodge when you meant to duck briefly, or simply crouching when you wanted to evade into the screen... that's not fine either. Getting hops is just horrible. You can blame it on bad sticks, but it's happened to all of us, on sticks we are completely familiar with, and if you make it a button that's just one less thing left to chance. It was not difficult or awkward in VF3, I don't think it broke the game's philosophy, and nobody can say with a straight face that VF3 was more confusing, less popular, or harder to play as a result of the fourth button... not when capcom gamers have had six since before VF existed.

Re: flat vs sloped - I can totally live with flat if the game designers make more interesting stages next time around. If they're sufficiently talented and pour enough work into it, maybe the aesthetic appeal of the stage will be so overwhelming that I no longer notice flat, square rings. To me, VF4 stages were not as good as VF3 stages and it's the first time I'd seen sega fail to outdo themselves.

For what it's worth, I can't think of any times off the top of my head where I said "man, slope fucked him in that match." This is coming from the point of view of someone who argued heavily against environmental stuff in DOA3. To me, having the slope didn't kill people's combo potential or make them into a combo god, and if slope led to a ring out... well, that's just part of the ring out game. Not watching your position will cause a ring out on flat ground too. Thanks to tech rolling, it's less of a problem, since in VF3 you had to just sit there while your opponent shoved your prone body out of the ring with forward dashes.

13. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    E has always been controllable in button form - neutral + dodge button goes away from the screen, d+dodge goes towards the screen.

[/ QUOTE ]

d+dodge button..../versus/images/graemlins/smirk.gif This is exactly what I'm talking about. You're adding an extra button and making things more complicated than they should be. With the current system, you could simply hit down to dodge towards the screen. It's a simpler, faster, more intuitive system IMO.

K-stepping:
    This is a very powerful technique because it avoids so much, therefore it should be hard to do. Since it can already be done in VF4, I don't see a point in adding a button.

14. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    K-stepping:
    This is a very powerful technique because it avoids so much

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all my friend.

U're looking at it from the wrong way.

15. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

I have a great idea for VF5, they should put in a mode called "US Player opinion mode" where they will ACTUALLY put in all the ideas US players posted on web forums like Evade Crouch Dash Romantic Octal Throw Escape Guard Cancel (ECDROTEG) or things like Insta-Juggle super Frame attack!! Or maybe then can make the control VO style, with TWO sticks and FOUR buttons!! That would make the best VF ever!!

p.s. The above opinion is pure <font color="red"> sarcasm </font> for those who don't understand.

The point is.. Whatever we say will never make an impact on how VF5 is actually going to turn out, this sort of discussion is better left for irc. Come to #vfhome and you'll find tons (30 or so) of people who will discuss this topic with you until you wanna stab Yu Suzuki until he begs for mercy.

Sorry if I offended anyone..
    /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

16. replicant

[ QUOTE ]
    ...or harder to play as a result of the fourth button... not when capcom gamers have had six since before VF existed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that can be a fair example since the CAPCOM 6 button layout only controlled the various strengths of attacks and not the motions which which to avoid or initiate attacks. With the lack of 3 dimensional movement as it pertains to the buttons I find it a poor example. The simplistic 3 button set-up worked and is still working just fine. It makes no sense to add another button just for the sake of adding one. It's not hard to tap [8] or [2] to initiate a sidestep or to manipulate the directions on the joystick to produce varying degrees of deceptive stepping. If you enter into an accidental move/situation from frantic directional pushing, then you just work better on keeping your cool and being more precise. I remember many people during the introduction of VF3/VF3tb who opposed the "E" button as it cluttered an already efficient interface. The only people who whined after it was removed were those who had gotten used to it and learned to manipulate it to decent effectiveness. Ce Sara Sara.

17. replicant

&^$(#%$ IRC ^_^;;;

I'd come on IRC, but for 2 days now it won't find my blasted host. Grrr..... I've been wondering how tragic was coming along with his Brad.

18. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    d+dodge button.... This is exactly what I'm talking about. You're adding an extra button and making things more complicated than they should be. With the current system, you could simply hit down to dodge towards the screen. It's a simpler, faster, more intuitive system IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

A dodge in VF4 is actually two inputs down (or up) then neutral. In VF3 you could do in 1 frame what is takes 2 frames to do in VF4. Not that it really matters -- from my experience both systems are equally effective. What I do miss about the VF3 system was f+E to dash or run -- much easier than f, neutral, f.

As for what I'd like to see...

Taka back, definitely. In his VF3 form (i.e. needs to take 40pts+ before falling down). VF3TB may have been more balanced character wise, but plain jane VF3 much much more fun in my opinion.

Of course, a VF.net system sytem everywhere. It would be easy, you could do it similar to SC2s training mode. You pay your 50 cents insert your card and chosse "customize character" and you have 3 minutes to edit their name and items, look at their status, etc. There would be no need for a net connection.

finally, the usual two more characters.

cheers,
    kbcat

19. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

It's kind of funny how everyone wants vf.net without the net support. It's not really vf.net then... just customizable saved characters.... The reason why vf.net is so cool in japan is because it is a Network where data and information are collected and used to enhance the gameplay... without the network support, it will just be like bringing your mem card to the arcade and play... I'm not saying it won't be good being that way, just that asking for a dumbed down version of vf.net is really asking for a different feature instead of asking for vf.net...

/versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

20. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    It's kind of funny how everyone wants vf.net without the net support. It's not really vf.net then...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misunderstand us (or me at least). I'd love to see a proper VF.net with net access and all the bells and whistles in NA. But the net access, servers, and support staff required to run the "net" side of VF net is what's preventing it from becoming a reality in NA arcades.

It's not the customizable character part that I'm really interested in.

What I really want is my win percentage/rank tracked. Which does not need net access at all. I want to know if my Lion is above 50% or below 50%. That's the really interesting part of VF.net -- when I go to a different city to play will my 50% Lion become a 60% Lion or a 40% Lion. That is what VF.net is all about. Even without net access, the percentages/ranking still have the same value. Sure you can't see how you compare globally, but I don't think that part of VF.net is useful since I don't believe an 80% 10th Dan at one arcade is necessarily equivalent to an 80% 10th Dan at another arcade. But, I do believe those rankings are valid locally, and locally is where I play.

cheers,
    kbcat