1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else here a Final Fantasy fan.

Discussion in 'General' started by Calvin, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

Besides VF I also like FF so if anyone else likes it too....

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I've always liked the series, and especially final fantasy tactics.
    It's the hip thing now to say that the later games all suck compared to the earlier ones but I've never regretted putting 50 bucks into any of 'em.

3. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

FF8 ain't so bad compared to the earlier ones. It isn't as Fantasy
    as the rest but it isn't bad.

The only later FF that I REALLY got into was FFX, THAT GAME ROCKED!!!

4. Triple Lei

Triple Lei Well-Known Member

Playing Skies of Arcadia made me realize just how silly FF games were (past FF6 anyway) ... Though I do like Final Fantasy Tactics, and if my interest in RPGs hadn't waned I'd be preaching the joys of FF10 as well.

5. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I saw somewhere that they're making FFX..2
    ..for the first time breaking with the tradition of doing an all-new cast/plot/etc.

At first I thought for sure it had to be a prank because the whole point behind the FF series was supposed to be that each game is 'Final'.. i.e. self-contained, not related to another game. So as a concept FFX 2 is pretty unoriginal. They'd better have killer gameplay to compensate.

So anyway from what I heard it's because FF the movie lost them so much money.... and so they're going to milk old stuff for additional cash. I was pretty unimpressed with the movie... a boring plot with no surprises at all. The nifty CG still isn't as good as top-of-the-line hollywood FX. The plot of that movie was straight out of a video game... "get the powerup and win the game!@!@!"

6. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

There's a message board on FFX-2 on GameFAQS. Even though I know FF wasn't meant for sequels I'll probably get the game anyway. I don't think it will be very good because it just sounds stupid to me. I never could imagine a sequel to FFX, and I think they should forget the whole thing. Like I said before though I'll get the game anyway. It's an FF!

7. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I've read so many good things about skies of arcadia, but what a pisser that it's not on one of those major systems where you can walk into damn near any store and pick the game up easily.

So what makes it so good?

8. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

It does a better job of transporting you into its world, but SOA does have its annoyances (excessive battles) and there are many things that FF does better (sidequests, mini-games, etc.).

9. Two_Bit_Mage

Two_Bit_Mage Well-Known Member

Have you heard about the new ffx-2 coming out (not just a rumor trust me) it follows the story of yuna after ffx ends...neato eh?

Edit:bleh creed already mentioned it...

10. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Oh please dude, ff8 is as stupid as they come and typical for squares idiocy, I cant understand how the hell they get away with such shoddy storytelling and boringly repetitive gameplay that drags on forever(at least the battles in skies of arcadia are over quickly) .
    Allow me to give an example.

Imagine the opening scene of the movie Saving private Ryan.
    The Gi´s getting of the boats stoming the beaches of Normandy, a few Germans tucked away on top of the dunes mowing down thousands of US and allied soldiers.
    US soldiers on the beach are like lambs being led to slaughter, we need to get a few men on top of the dunes so we can take out the German soldiers who are sitting inside theyre bunkers in relative safety and who are killing scores upon scores of oure men, if we dont do that quickly we will al be slaughtered so we have to move and act fast.
    But we wont, lets just do instead whats really important, talk about youre feelings, screw all oure men who are being killed left and right, lets just talk about youre inner child and how youre wife is doing back home.

Sounds pretty fucked up and unbelievable if you would see it in a movie right?
    Yet its exactly the sorta stuff that happens constantly in that POS called FF8.
    At the end of disc two there is the big battle between the two schools, a decisive battle wich outcome will have profound effects on the life of the planet, squal etcetera have to get to the other school in order to eradicate the evil threat that can kill of life on the planet and bla bla bla but hey lets forget about that, lets forget about the battle thats taking place and in wich lots of students from both schools are dying left and right, lets forget about the future of the planet and safeguarding it from the evil threat that is attacking right now, lets just do whats really important and lets talk about squals inner feelings.

Pathetic.

11. American_Pai

American_Pai Well-Known Member

I like FF but I got to be a hardcore old man and say the FF series lost it's mojo after the SNES days. Thank God I got to play these games before FF7 blew up in America or else I might not know what Square's truly capable of. None of the newer one's are bad games so to speak (except for 8, which is garbage) but they fail to live up to the high standards set by Square during the 16-bit era. Square is too caught up in CGI hoopla/Summoning nonsense and are not concentrating on the basics of a great rpg which overall hurts the newer games.

12. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

FF8 isn't "Garbage" it's a great game depending on the game you like.
    I'll admit it isn't as good as say, FF6, but I like all Final Fantasys.

13. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

I strongly second my opinion with American_Pai. The best Square games were IMO the ones made for SNES. Secret of Mana, FF4-6, Chrono Trigger, etc...

Now what I see in those newer FFs is that it's all about CG cutscenes and cinemas. I play a game to have fun controlling the action, not to spend time watching gorgeous CG animation. The newer FFs may still be fun, but I can't see them beating FF6 in terms of gameplay for example.

The Zelda series, though, is what defines perfection for me. I don't even consider FF a contender with Zelda anymore, but that's just my opinion /versus/images/icons/smile.gif.

14. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

very true. Zelda is by all means flawless.

15. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Flawles does not exist.
    That being said Zelda4( gameboy ) along with Landstalker remain my favourite action RPGs ever.

16. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

yes, but is as close to flawless as you can get.

btw, does ANYBODY here like FF8.

17. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it. The gameplay system was fine, though not original....
    but as others mentioned the plot/dialogue was kind of lame. I liked the atmosphere though and atmosphere means a lot to me in a game.. it almost makes up for plot deficiencies.

The only challenges were beating weapon and the card game, and beating weapon pretty much boiled down refining cards, so I think it's fair to say I got more replay/challenge out of the card game than damn near anything else in the game.

A final fantasy system I'd really like to see put into place for the next game is the job system from FFT. In FF7 materia made everyone able to kick ass, heal, or do whatever so every character felt the exact same... unspecialized. The job system is nice though because rather than have 5 guys who all can dish out attack and healing spells you have your attackers, your support characters, and your healers. I liked the ability to mix and match certain reaction/movement/support skills to create nifty powers, i.e. give equip gun to a knight and be able to blow off the opponent's armor with long ranged attacks, or give sunken state to a dancer so you can safely stay invisible while choosing "wait" and letting your dance castrate the enemy.

18. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

I'd say NiGHTS is as close to perfection as games come.

But anyways, if you guys want an example of how to do CG/cinematic storytelling combined with great gameplay, characterization, and plot, shell out for a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga. Worth every penny, and kills anything Square has done in the 32-bit era.

I agree with CreeD on one thing - if they made a new FF game with a system like FF3j/FF5 (My two favorites), it would be a lot cooler than the more recent games have been.

19. Dougydug

Dougydug Well-Known Member

...hate to be nit-picky...but FF isn't really an rpg...you only have to make a few choices in the game (FF10 is a fine example) and square are so hooked on cinematics (don't get me wrong, I am too) that it never alters the plot of the game.... although I don't know what it was like previous to FF7....also the voice-acting (english version) in FFX iss appalling, at least with MGS2 the dubbing was half-decent....better game IMO....

20. KageMan2002

KageMan2002 Well-Known Member

Even though i've only played the first FF and the recent FF, i'm hooked to Square! I even got Kingdom Hearts (yeah thats right...) despite that it was a disney game too!