1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone here playing DOA3?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cause, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

I'm really having alot of fun with this game, now that you can trow during a reversal animation, the game if alot more balanced and is by no means cheap.

Has anyone noticed how fucking POWERFUL Bass is now, complete reversal from DOA2, he is a mad man now. No only does he get two air throw to tack on to juggles (And can't be escaped) His ground throw is the same that Wolf and Jeffery have except it's faster and feels easier to throw after. Nothing is guarenteed but one of Bass's new moves is one to be feared.

Bass now has a monster catch throw which has MONSTEROUS range and grab anyone not ducking. It so happens after a ground pick up, the person is in perfect range for this (QUICK!) catch throw. So the guessing game is try to do a quick blow which Bass's power moves DESTROY's or try to reverse power move and get thrown or duck which is perfect for Bass's Cround Dash low throw, yup he has one.

Added to this is his superb juggle ability, several of his moves cause a Accordian(sp) like stun which cannot be reversal animation'ed (Is that a word, hehe) out of, and when hit with a launcher (Again Bass has several) they go REAL high, you can tag on two or three hard blows, not jab then finish with one or two air throw (One of which throws them behind where you were facing, the other in front of you, ala wolf, but in the air) for MONSTER Damage that cannot be reversed out of (Ouch)

Anyway just wondering if anyone else if having fun with this title, it may be slightly deeper than some think. Definately FAR better than DOA2.

2. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I've been having fun with the game a bit, yes it's fun, but I'm not crazy about it. It doesn't feel any "deeper" than DoA2, but it has it's good stuff.

As for throw during reversal animation... Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but you could always throw when your opponent does a reversal and you would get a counter-throw (higher damage I believe). Trick is, if they do a low reversal, you do a low throw. Any other reversal, high throw. It's been that way since DoA2.

-Chanchai

3. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

Er really,

I seemed to have a SUPER problem throwing during a reversal animation, perhaps they made it easier, I seriouly can't remember it being as easy as it is now. Also could you get out of every throw in 2, you can in three, just have to guess which one the opponent uses.

4. Shou

Shou Well-Known Member

Re: Er really,

I think DOA3 is far worse than DOA2. Besides the dumbed down counters which destroy what little mind games DOA2 had, the game system really hasn't changed much. Sure, there are minor tweaks but most of the changes are for the worst. Wall and falling damage are way overdone and dying from a fall is dumb when people drop down a level so frequently. Bayman and Lei Fang have "special counters" that do extra damage but WTF is the point? Veterans are already used to the old counter motion so they can just use the higher damage counters for high and low levels while using back + free for all mid attacks. Command throws still cannot be broken, same with Hayabusa's 80 dmg multi throw. Itagaki has truly made the series as superficial as those retarded commercials for his game.

Regarding Bass, he has been powered up greatly and his pick up is way too good. If the opponent is lying face down, he gets a free major counter combo to the back. If, there's an opportunity to do a down attack, most of the time, he can pick up.

5. Chanchai

Amen to what you said, Shou.... I was wondering if I was "misreading" things in DoA3... Now that I hear you say it (you being the DoA2 enthusiast or so I think), I don't feel like I'm biasing myself out on what has been lingering in the back of my mind towards DoA3.

Then again.... in the recent X-Box magazine, Itagaki claims that Team Ninja invented Tag systems in.... 1999! WTF?!

-Chanchai

6. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

How is dying from a fall stupid when most vf had ring outs for three games? Isn't it the same thing except if you have enough energy you can continue fighting? When you got rung out in VF, that was it, you lost that round completely, so I fail to see how that is a negative. I really don't see how the game is dumbed down, sure there is not the same guessing games as in VF, but what does. As far as dumb downed counters, you just admited the extra motion in DOA2 was easy anyway, this is just as easy, it is no different pressing back/ub/db and free, or adding a forward beforehand, they are equally easy.

ANyway back to Bass, yeah his pick up is awesome. A favorite "throw" combo for me is his catch (hcf+free+p), pick-up (Down+p+free), start multi (f, f+p+free), end multi (Down+p+free) this throw leaves them face down, so when you pick up their back is to you, pick-up, catch, will start back multi (hcf+free+p), end back multi (Down+p+free)

On normal damage, this is about 75% damage or more and is hard to get out of unless you break the multi's. You can duck the catch throw but it is so FAST and has such REACH it's tough to do.

Also, I don't think it stupid not to be able to break out of Hayabusa's air multi I mean, your in the air....

7. Shou

Shou Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

How is dying from a fall stupid when most vf had ring outs for three games? Isn't it the same thing except if you have enough energy you can continue fighting? When you got rung out in VF, that was it, you lost that round completely, so I fail to see how that is a negative. I really don't see how the game is dumbed down, sure there is not the same guessing games as in VF, but what does. As far as dumb downed counters, you just admited the extra motion in DOA2 was easy anyway, this is just as easy, it is no different pressing back/ub/db and free, or adding a forward beforehand, they are equally easy.

<hr></blockquote>

In DOA2, if you fell down a level and had little life, you would still be alive and have a chance to come back which is quite possible given the high dmg counters. In DOA3, while the stages are quite expansive, each level is small and confined which leads to frequent wall or fall damage. Almost all moves that float on a normal hit are at mid level so if you want to be safe, all you have to do is counter mid now and you'll at most eat a throw or a power hit. In DOA2, there was an additional guessing game for floats since if you guessed wrong, it was either a damaging float combo or a stun which leads to the same situation again. The mid counter is a subtle change for people new to DOA but it's effect at high level play is stupifying. Everyone plays safe and goes for the power hits that will easily gain wall (and in this situation, if you're close, you can hit off the wall bounce) or fall dmg due to the small areas.

On normal damage, this is about 75% damage or more and is hard to get out of unless you break the multi's. You can duck the catch throw but it is so FAST and has such REACH it's tough to do.

<hr></blockquote>

It is quite easy to get out of it. All you have to do is P if the throw is coming and every multi throw is easy to break out of. Just watch for "combo throw" to appear on the screen and immediately break. Multi throws only work on newbies or lazy players.

Also, I don't think it stupid not to be able to break out of Hayabusa's air multi I mean, your in the air....

<hr></blockquote>
    Why does Hayabusa need a guaranteed 80 dmg throw?! Even the grapplers don't have that.

Amen to what you said, Shou.... I was wondering if I was "misreading" things in DoA3... Now that I hear you say it (you being the DoA2 enthusiast or so I think), I don't feel like I'm biasing myself out on what has been lingering in the back of my mind towards DoA3.

Then again.... in the recent X-Box magazine, Itagaki claims that Team Ninja invented Tag systems in.... 1999! WTF?!

<hr></blockquote>

I was a supporter of DOA2 b/c I thought Team Ninja had the potential to take the series forward but I was obviously wrong. Didn't you know Itagaki invented video games?! :)

8. Chanchai

The extra forward input in the reversal input in DoA2 may have been easy, but it really changed the "accidental reversal" rate by a great amount. In addition, it wasn't only having to input two taps per reversal that was a big deal in the DoA2 arcade system (which can be accessed in console DoA2 if you go to the controller options). The big deal with "arcade" reversals in DoA2 was that you didn't have a universal mid reversal like you do on console settings. Mid-Punch reversal was different than Mid-Kick reversal. And it really put more of a mindgame in DoA2 than what you have in console-DoA2 or DoA3 in terms of reversals. It really ensured you were certain with what you were doing instead of accidentally pulling some reversal out of your ass (which happens a lot in DoA2 console and DoA3--hence so many people thinking they're so good at the game when they don't know what they're doing half the time).

There is a reason why some players such as myself and probably Shou, and probably some others here get a bit hard up about console style reversals in DoA2/3. ESPECIALLY in a system where you can perform a reversal while you are stunned or recovering from being hit.

Trust me, on a general level, the amount of "unintended" reversals you see off of stuns and strings with "arcade reversals" is greatly reduced in DoA2, and if you ask me, it was a good thing. The reversals had to be deliberate instead of an accident.

-Chanchai

9. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

I've never "accidentally" done a reversal in this game, so I'm not sure what your talking about here. Hit free before the direction and you'll block every time. Hit the direction and then free for the reversal.

10. Shou

Shou Well-Known Member

I've never "accidentally" done a reversal in this game, so I'm not sure what your talking about here. Hit free before the direction and you'll block every time. Hit the direction and then free for the reversal.

<hr></blockquote>

Maybe not for you but I think it's natural for many gamers to hold back while blocking which leads to accidental mid counters.

11. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

Quote:"(How do I do that anyway?)It is quite easy to get out of it. All you have to do is P if the throw is coming and every multi throw is easy to break out of. Just watch for "combo throw" to appear on the screen and immediately break. Multi throws only work on newbies or lazy players."

It may be harder than you think, there are only two areas to break out of this combo, and that's during the two multipart throws. And someone who is good doing it it, you will never see the "combo throw" show up if the next one is inputted quick enough, in addition you can delay the next part of the throw, and I'm pretty sure you only get out of a multi if you do the same motion for the throw at the same TIME the oppponent inputs it, meaning in that what 1-2 sec window of a multi (it's long) I can input it any time, usually I do it right away, but if someone keeps getting out of it, I could delay a sec or two before the next one.

In addition a punch wouldn't stop his catch throw cause he can grab you out of punch range, you would whiff and he would grab you. A longer ranged attack would fail cause his catch throw is comparible in speed to a punch.

12. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

It's also natural for alot of gamers to hold back to block like Street Fighter, then when they come to VF, it takes a sec to adjuct to a blcok button, I say the same thing with this, adjust to the blocking style of the game, don't compain about it :)

13. Shou

Shou Well-Known Member

It may be harder than you think, there are only two areas to break out of this combo, and that's during the two multipart throws. And someone who is good doing it it, you will never see the "combo throw" show up if the next one is inputted quick enough, in addition you can delay the next part of the throw, and I'm pretty sure you only get out of a multi if you do the same motion for the throw at the same TIME the oppponent inputs it, meaning in that what 1-2 sec window of a multi (it's long) I can input it any time, usually I do it right away, but if someone keeps getting out of it, I could delay a sec or two before the next one.

In addition a punch wouldn't stop his catch throw cause he can grab you out of punch range, you would whiff and he would grab you. A longer ranged attack would fail cause his catch throw is comparible in speed to a punch.

<hr></blockquote>

I'm not at home so I can't test this but if it truly is the case, then just low P. Also, I believe if you have good enough hand/eye coordination, you can break any multi throw. It IS that easy. I can't see anyone even letting you get the multi throw as they should always be on guard for situations where they will end face down.

It's also natural for alot of gamers to hold back to block like Street Fighter, then when they come to VF, it takes a sec to adjuct to a blcok button, I say the same thing with this, adjust to the blocking style of the game, don't compain about it :)

<hr></blockquote>

It's not a complaint, merely, an observation.

14. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

Ah but if the person continously low punches, Bass has a nice little crouch dash low throw which again can hit from beyond punch range (With the dash) and since low punching in DOA is pretty damn slow anyway, I can't see that being effective either, I'll try it when I get home.

Hope you don't think I'm arguing just to argue, this is actually a good conversation :)

15. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

A good conversation about a DoA game ?
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKAY .

Game went seriously downhill from arcade and Saturn DoA1 on .

16. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Just as some people would say vf4 is going downhill...keep an open mind...I don't think doa3 is terrible...but I sure as hell don't see it as any great leap forward. The hair movement and some stuff like that - minor things, it does better...but over all I think the game is sub par..

17. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Heheh all I've got to say is I have the game but I haven't touched it in over 2 weeks.

18. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

Game went seriously downhill from arcade and Saturn DoA1 on .

<hr></blockquote>

Indeed so. I think they screwed up the second they turned the counters into kung fu movies of their own. At least in DoA the matches were paced to some degree.

19. Keylay

Keylay Member

DOA is going uphill. It has gotten a lot better. I happen to like counters, infact, I like all fighting games gameplays. So I think their pretty much all good, but all different. I got played DOA1 every now and then, but only with friends. I never played fighting games for hours until DOA2 came out. I like it for the modes. No other game has fun modes to me. In Tekken, I usually got tired of Arcade, but I liked the ball mode and somewhat liked the force mode. Thats the reason I played it alot. But I have never seen another fighting game turn the ordinary modes into extraordinary modes. The team battle and survival mode got better. I didn't have to what at loading screens. And the Tag battle was the best. And Story mode I love to death. I sometimes get angry because other games don't have these fun modes. I thought VF4 would have something like it, but I'm not sure. I saw a thing on IGN that sad new VF4 modes, but I don't think they wrote them all. Destrega is the only other fighting game that had a story mode. Only it was longer. I wish all fighting games were like Destrega and had cinematic scenes. It's would be an RPG fighting game.

20. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Hey , why not ditch those boring fighting bits altogheter and read a book ?
    Twat .