1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone in Austin, Texas?

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by austinc1, Nov 10, 2001.

1. austinc1

austinc1 Member

Anyone patronize Einstein's arcade on the drag? I could really use some actual human competition :p

2. Oni-Kage

Oni-Kage Well-Known Member

Greetings... I just recently decided to get into VF... I played 2 and 3 casually, but never gave the game enough time and effort to understand and enjoy it. I've always been a Tekken fan, but now that T4 is out and is already becoming old news (how sad, heh), VF4 is looking quite good. I'm essentially a total newbie to the game so I'm going to need someone to teach me basic defense and offense, especially someone who knows most of the characters and can train me to defend against their common mixups and setups.

If anyone here plays tekken you'll know me as "Cosmic Forge" over on the Tekken Zaibatsu forums. I play Yoshimitsu primarily (Ninjas forever!) but know the game pretty well overall. Email me or contact me on MSN (cosmic_forge@hotmail.com) or ICQ (59138351).

FYI, for those true Ninja lovers out there, you'll recognize my handle from the wonderful game Tenchu Stealth Assassins on the PSX. Highly recommended for those who love ninja genre in games.

3. austinc1

austinc1 Member

Unfortunately, no one could accuse me of knowing all the characters :) But I have a pretty decent grasp on a few of them. Tell me roughly what times during the week you might play at einstein's and I'll try to run into you...

4. Oni-Kage

Well I guess the most convenient time for me is after 930pm ... I'm off Tuesdays/Wednesdays but I live out of town (work in Austin) so those wouldn't be good for me. What I need to learn most are the nuances of characters... their recoveries and tricks good players use like attack cancelling or whatever. I use Kage exclusively but I need to learn defense more than anything right now. The only thing that has me irked is the price, 50 cents start/continue is a bit steep, and 30 second time limit is unrealistic IMO.

I'm the white dude with the shaved head/goatee also playing Tekken 4 if you see anyone there like that. Lemme know what's up. I'm trying to get a few really good Tekken players to get in on VF but I think I will have to get good first so they will have someone they know teach them the system. L8rz.

5. Oni-Kage

Update on Meeting places and times

I guess the VF4 comp is dead now or something, I'm the only one posting in this thread. How sad.

Anyway, if any of you guys come back to life and read this post, we are STILL having our weekly gatherings for the PS2 for games like VF4, Tekken Tag, CvS2 and others... we have a pretty nice hook-up at a friend's dorm at UT. They have a big entertainment room with a big screen TV, comfy couches and chairs, accessible kitchen and vending machines, and tables to hook up extra TV's.

We meet Fridays usually starting around 8 or 9 and go until we drop (usually by 2 am or maybe 3).

To get the latest info, go to electriccancel.com and head over to the Matchfinders Forum and look up Austin. I post as Cosmic-Forge there... don't be shy!

P.S. I'm still the guy that plays Kage and Shun at Einstein's whenever I'm there.

6. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Re: Update on Meeting places and times

Damn, you just took my down memory lane, austinc1 -- I used to play VF2 at like 2AM on study breaks. (Yes, I'm a UT graduate). Would *LOVE* to stop by, but there's 6000 miles between us now. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif