1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Aoi FAQS or info.

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Hayai_JiJi, Jan 2, 2001.

1. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

O.K. I have read the Aoi FAQ over at gamefaqs.com and am still hungry for Aoi strategy anyone know where I can find stuff like guaranteed situations for ground throws and maybe some stuff on the timing for her link throws I just cant seem to get it off consistently . Any help would be greatly apprieciated and I thank you in advance. I apologize for my atrocious grammar.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Below is a slightly modified e-mail i recently sent somebody learning aoi. As for timing of her link throws, just do them as quickly as you can...you're probably not going to do it faster than the machine will allow. It was pretty forgiving when it came to the timing of it, if i recall correctly. Anyway, here's a skeleton view of how i used her:

i thought i played rather offensively, actually...lots of darting in and
    out. At least half of the damage i did each round was from throws...often,
    it all was. And i'm not exaggerating. as far as i was concerned, her two
    most useful moves were her d, f throw (since it guarantees a ground break)
    and her low throw. as long as you have a high throw, and a low throw, and
    some timing, you can shut down just about anybody. add some mid-hitting
    moves (not like she's lacking there) and a sweep that can be cancelled (in a
    combo or alone), and it's really just not fair. don't go on the
    defensive...control the fight...realize that whatever they're doing,
    wherever they're doing it, they're vulnerable, and take them down.

she's fast enough so that, when you want to have fun, you can rush in and pepper
    the other person with a myriad of different punches, slaps, and elbows, but
    almost any character can do that. where she really excels is her footspeed,
    and as soon as you know precisely the range you need to be at in order to
    throw, life becomes much easier. honestly...just dash in and grab

of course, the most fun part of playing with her is the fact that she has a
    counter for virtually everything...but unless you're playing against
    somebody you often play against, with a character they often play, it's best
    advantage seems to me that it sometimes causes them to hesitate...after all,
    they don't do _that_ much, and it hurts to be wrong. still, there's nothing
    like just _feeling_ a kickflip coming on, countering it, and hearing "what
    in the _hell_?"

Sorry that it doesn't have many specifics...i don't remember them. Although I gave in a got vf3tb a couple of days ago, the dreamcast is in my dorm room, so i might not be able to play for a little while. As for ground throws, i really only used them after the d, f throw...they don't do enough to warrant the risk, in general. Actually, it occurred to me after re-reading the e-mail that there was a counter i used quite often; the mid counter. Even if you don't know the other person's playing style yet, as long as you know they're a decent player, you can generally bait them into a mid attack. i used to stay crouched most of the time, standing up to block mid attacks, rather than spending my time standing, waiting to crouch for a low attack. Not surprisingly, elbows and mid kicks abounded. If you're the opposite (i.e., a "stander"), then you'll probably be better at dishing out low counters.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post...i may even have details if i get hooked on the dc version (though i don't have an arcade stick, so it'll most likely just be reliving the old, glorious memories...lol).

George Carlin...funny stuff

3. Hayai_JiJi

I can not thank you enough that was exactly the kinda thing I was looking for. If you think George Carlin is funny you should read his book Brain Droppings it is hilarity. P.S. you should start playing VF seriously again just a suggestion.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

4. Guest

Guest Guest

We aim to please ;)

Haven't read his book, but i've been watching him for a long time...actually saw him live once, in vegas, about three years ago.

Oh, and i think the days of me playing seriously are over...so sorry :)

5. Hayai_JiJi

Well I guess life goes on....you really cant expect people to play the same game for 4 to 5 years. Its just that i see reports on tourneys from the gravy days of VF2 and VF3 and am pissed that I missed out. So many wasted tekken years.

6. clopin

clopin Well-Known Member

i don't know if i'd call "lots of darting in and out" as "offensive", unless you mean you're offending your opponent. i guess it just depends on how you define offensive.

while i agree that the CD throw (or aiki throw) (D,f+pg) is her best throw, and the low-throw probably her next best, this won't work well past (to use a cliche) Step 1 players. anyone decently familiar with an aoi opponent will firstly TE using some variation of f+pg knowing that this is her best high throw. her other high throws pale in comparison. that means that any successful aiki throw will be at an unexpected time, such as after an interrupt, but i've seen good players TE after being interrupted on reaction so don't count on it!

low throw is completely shut down with option-select low-TE since she has a single low-throw- e.g., consider guard-cancel low-TE.

so neither of these work well alone. that means mix it up.

there are many effective styles to play aoi. machi is arguable the most effective method of playing her. but confusion (lots of g-cancelling), or offensive styles (lots of rushing ppp or elbow rushes) also can be effective. figure out your own instead of trying to copy one out of some FAQ.

as for ground break, there are something like 5-7 guaranteed situations to use it. read the FAQ for those. i don't feel like rehashing them. use it also to punish your opponent's laziness in rising struggle in non-guaranteed situations.

// clopin
    join #vfhome on the EFnet IRC network

7. Guest

Guest Guest

"i don't know if i'd call "lots of darting in and out" as "offensive", unless you mean you're offending your opponent. i guess it just depends on how you define offensive."

heh heh...touche

i'd call it offensive in the sense that you're not waiting for them to throw something at you that you can counter, or looking for an error, per se...more of a making-something-out-of-nothing style. but yes, it has offended many :)

yes, there are various situations in which ground breaks are guaranteed...i just don't remember them. i do believe there were fewer in tb than ob, though.

i also agree with your comment regarding being able to escape a throw; mxing it up is the key. if you find that the other person is good enough to catch on (which, honestly, isn't all that common; many people who _could_ still try to pull out a move of some sort), just switch around...if you rotate between four or five different throws (not difficult with aoi), they'll either have to settle with a 20-25% escape rate (feel free...have fun being hurled the other 75-80%), or they'll get impatient and try to punch out, or something else silly.

as for this not working against better players...well, gotta dissent on that one. i've played against several of the best in both this country and japan, and it works rather nicely, thank you :)

i think the best advice you gave was not to take style from a FAQ...just not going to work, and it kind of defeats the purpose of exploring the game besides

8. Hayai_JiJi

I was not going to copy a FAQ or anything else for that matter I just like hearing other peoples approach to the same character and maybe adapt some of that into my style of play.

9. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

I was not going to copy a FAQ or anything else for that matter

yes you will, yes you will! and then you'll become
    this little Aoi FAQ whore that everyone will laugh at and
    tease and when we have gatherings we'll all get in a circle
    and put you in the middle, pushing and pushing until you
    lose your balance and fall and skin your knees!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

GE

10. Hayai_JiJi

hehehehehehehehehehheh that was quite witty.

11. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

So... should the new saying be:

RTFFBDBIW:
    Read the F'ing Faq, but don't become its whore!

This was supposed to be silly (before I start seeing that abbreviation used around).

Gosh, some faqs are written with some of the weirdest biases, I have to admit... Almost as if everybody played the exact same way.... maybe it's just me.

Aoi is a lot of fun to play!!! I'm only recently discovering that (and seemingly annoying some while at it).

-Chanchai