1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Aoi Guide!

Discussion in 'Aoi' started by GaijinPunch, Jun 27, 2002.

1. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Okay guys, here it is. Note, this isn't a dojo -- just some of the moves I use. Hope it helps. Do note, this will likely get you nowhere when fighting the CPU. Hopefully Myke will make this the first Aoi file on the site. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

----------------
    Aoi Guide:

Purpose:
    Aoi -- while definitely lacking a serious amount of power, she's (IMHO) the most unique character in the game. The problem is, she doesn't have a bunch of combos to unload on people like Jacky, Lau, or Akira do. So, while you're friends are over there smashing the competition with these other characters, check out this guide and teach them a thing or two. The purpose of this guide is not to introduce you to Aoi, study her every move, or even think of how many frames an attack takes. This is just a brief run through some of the moves I use to trample my opponents. While there are far superior Aoi's out there, I think mine is pretty formidable, and might help your game.

Okay, I lied a bit. Let's take a brief look at SOME of the moves (and their properties) that might be looked over.

Attacks:
    [4][P] - Sabaki - Throw is not guaranteed when blocked
    [6][4][P] - Sabaki
    [4][K]+[G] -Sabaki - Crumbles on counter. [3][P]+[G] guaranteed on crumble. [3][P] guaranteed after that.
    [3][P] - G-cancellable
    [2][K]+[G] G-cancellable - only knocks down on counter or when opponent tries to dodge
    [6][P]+[K] - G-cancellable
    [6][P]+[K][P] - G-cancellable
    [P][P][P][2][K] - G-cancellable
    [6][K] - Throw not guaranteed on block

Useful Throws:
    [3][P]+[G] - [3][P] guaranteed
    [2_][6][P]+[G] - [3][P]+[G] guaranteed
    [1][P]+[K]+[G] - I find this better than [2][P]+[K]+[G], as it's not used as much - thus, not escaped as much.
    I ignored the other throws, but we'll touch on them later. Do remember that Aoi's one of the best throwers in the game. There are a total of 5 different diretions to escape her many throws. Mix them up to confuse your opponent.

Okay, now that we've touched a bit of the not-so-basics, let's cover a few things that are going to happen against different levels of players.

Round starters:
    True of any character, starting the round is extremely important. I've found with Aoi, you've got a bit of an advantage over most players -- especailly ones that try to start out with a slower, more powerful combo. Here's what I like to go with.
    [6][P]+[K][P]. While not a good floater, it will knock your opponent down on counter. On that note, it's also a fantastic move to use when your opponent quick rises.
    [2][K]+[G]: Not the best, but worth looking at.
    [4][4][P]+[K][G]: The G-cancel there is very important. If your opponent comes in with a knee or something, they'll think you've executed the move, but you're in perfect throwing position.

Those are the basics I like to open with. Let's look at some specific openers.

Akira: [1][P]+[K]. Many times people like to open with Akira's mid elbow. Why not? For it's range, it's the fastest move in the game, and it crumbles on counter. Very vicious. Make those Akira's think twice before ripping it off first thing. If you throw the reversal RIGHT when the announcer says go, you'll find that this is quite useful. Doesn't usually work more than once per fight though -- keep that in mind. Also know that you'll be dead if he goes with the shoulder.

Wolf:
    [6][P]+[K][P]: Due to Wolf's slow nature, I find this extremely useful. Don't use it too much. If he dodges, you're toast, as there's only one more punch at the end of the combo, which means you're in throwing distance.

Lau:
    [6][P]+[K][P]: All around good opener.
    [4][P]+[K]+[G]: This will stop those damn [P][P][P][K]'ers. Don't hold it for long though if your opponent doesn't attack, lest you be thrown.
    [4][3][P]: 'nuff said. Her best move -- use it for a charging opponent.

Jacky:
    [4][4][P]+[K][G]: Jacky has some quick punches. I find that this can help give you the edge at the first of a match. If he's running at you with high punches, drop the G-cancel, and connect with the punch (which crumbles). Then throw in [P][P][P][K] once you've floated this sucker.
    [4][3][P]: Another good one against high-punch rushers.

LeiFei:
    [4][4][P]+[K][G]: Lei Fei can go either way. He's got a lot of good openers too, which can really destroy you. A few of them also keep him low, where you can't connect with a high.
    [2][K]+[G]: Note that his [9][K]+[G] will destroy this. Otherwise, it's a good opener.
    [8][K]+[G]: Don't do this often, but for Lei's that go directly into stances rather than start off the round attacking, this is very good. If they attack first, as opposed to the favored 'dancing', they'll float your ass to about 120pts damage, so be warned.

Sarah:
    [4][P]+[K]+[G]: Again -- spin out of this if she doesn't attack, but this will inashi her vicious [1][K].
    Dodge - This is very useful against Sarah, as I find she has the edge against most players for round starters. The only things to watch for are her low kick, and her low roundhouse, as these can be ugly, and guarantee a down attack when they crumble you.

Jeffry:
    Not befitting of Jeffry's size, I've found him to have some really fast and powerful openers -- especailly that elbow. Dodge it and throw. Very good way to start off.
    Also note that in that one 2-punch combo he has, there's usually a big delay. Wait until he throws the 2nd punch to do anything.

Shun & Lion:
    This is hard to say, as they've both got quick round openÿers, and can both dodge when not attacked. I really don't have too much good advice here. Blocking isn't a bad idea.

Quick Rising:
    Whlie this section is really a judgement call, check out some of the stuff I use.
    Dodge - very effective, except when your opponent uses a round-house
    [4][4][P]+[K] -- this will stop people from throwing you just when you rise. You get a guaranteed [P][P][P][K] in when you connect this one.
    [G] -- hey, when in doubt, just wait. Chances are, your opponent will use something with a long recovery time.
    [1][P]+[K] -- great against Kage, or anyone that likes to do mid kicks when you rise.

Attacking Quick Risers:
    [6][P]+[K][P]: By far the best. Watch out though -- if the first one is blocked, you could be toast. If your reflexes aren't what they used to be, just go for the first [6][P]+[K] - if your'e oppponent is in the air, take a step forward and do [2][K]+[G]. Not as much damage, but safer.
    [P][P]+[G] - Very good to stun your opponents. Use any throw you want, but they'll eventually get used to it and start escaping them, so never use the same one twice in a row (which is really good advice for any character)
    [2][K]+[G] - This isn't the best attack, but if you do it enough, you'll get your opponent to go straight into ducking after quick rising. Once they start ducking on quick rise, try the aforementioned [6][P]+[K][P] or even better, a low throw.

Throws:
    This is where Aoi has the advantage. There are 5 inputs to escape Aoi's throws. They are
    [6], [3], [1], [4], and nuetral. It's nice to use the normal [P]+[G] every now and again. It does less damage, but is escaped less.
    270's: Aoi's got two of these, neither of which I use much. The [8][4][2][6] one doesn't do enough damage unless you follow up with HCF[K]+[G]. Risky to me, for not much more reward. It's also escaped via [6][P]+[G]. The other one, [2][6][8][4] is much better, as it's not a combo, so you get more damage, and a guaranteed [3][P], although it's tricky to pull off unless you practice quite a bit.
    Throw Combo: I rarely use this. It seem like a lot of work, for only 10-15 pts more damage. The input, FYI is HCF or HCB[P]+[G],[6][2][P]+[G],[2][8][P]+[G]. The latter two can be interchanged with [4][2][P]+[G] and [8][2][P]+[G]. To me, the opponent has a 50/50 chance of escaping this -- too big of a risk for the reward, considering you've got 3x the chances to goof up the command. I only se this win I can spare a round. The [3][P] is guaranteed afterwards if you pull the whole thing off.
    The most important thing to remember with Aoi, as said before, is to mix up the throws. Don't always use the ones that do the most damage -- do the ones you think your opponent will have a hard time getting out of. You've got a lot of freedom here -- use it.

The Tricky Stuff:
    Okay, this is what you're here for. It's obvious that you can't muscle your way to victory like you can with the likes of Jacky, Lau, or Wolf. So, you must outwit your opponent. If you mix this stuff up enough, it can put you back in the fight.

[P][P][P][2][P]+[K]+[G]: You cannot hesitate a second to pull the throw off. It should feel like part of the combo. If you pull it off, great - if not, no biggie. Your opponent will still know you tried to throw low, and knows you will likely try it again -- that's the whole point. Next couple of times, do the normal [P][P][P][2][K]. Now it's a guessing game for the rest of the match.
    [P] [P] [P] [2][K]: Notice how I spaced the punches out. You need to put a good quarter of a second or so between each hit there. Do it, and rarely will your opponent duck to block the last kick.
    [P][P][P][2][K][G][6][P]+[K][P]: A vicious combo. Not only did you get a lot of damage, but you faked him out, making him rethink his game, and you've knocked him down. Now go for a good attack against a quick riser.
    [2][K]+[G][G][6][P]+[K][P]: Very good when your opponent is a bit far from you, and you don't want to run in, as you know he'll throw a low punch and then throw you. The idea here is to suck your opponent into think you've done the full sweeping kick, which has a longer recovery time. Surprise! Jack him up with that elbow. This is a very good move, and doesn't take much practice. I find it incredibly useful against Lau & Jacky, since they almost ALWAYs try a mid-starting high damage combo when they sense you'll be ducking.
    [6][P]+[K][P][G][1][P]+[G]: Case in point, most people go for the [4][3][P] after G-cancelling the 2nd punch. So, your guy is likely expecting it, and just sitting there, or trying to dodge. Throw his ass, at least the first two times. Then on the third time, instead of throwing, go for the [4][3][P] to crumble him and follow up with [6][K][K].
    [2][K]+[G][1][P]+[K]: I know what you're thinking -- that's suicide? Well, it kind of is, but if you pull it off (and I think you'll be surprised how much easier it is than it looks) it will intimidate the hell out of your opponent. It works quite well when the initial sweep hits the legs. Remember - that sweep won't knock them over unless it's a counter. Probably won't work more than once or twice per match, but the feeling is unbeatable. Try it! If it doesn't hit, try a low punch or something quick, as if your opponent sees you try to do the reversal, then he's going to throw you. The best opponents to use this on are Jacky, Lau, Lion, Sarah, or anyone else that that likes rising mid attacks. It works well on everyone except Akira (double-palm...yikes!) but those four imparticular -- very fun when jacking up Jacky's or Sarah's rising knee.
    [4][P](when blocked)[4][3][P] - Many people think they'll get a throw in. If you put your [4][3][P] in just after the [4][P], then they'll crumble. Proceed with [6][K][K].
    [6][K][6][K][K]: As with [4][P], many people (including some good players as well) think a throw is guaranteed after [6][K] -- it's not. Destroy them w/ the [6][K][K]. You'll be surprised how well this works. If they know they won't get the throw in, it won't work. In that case, try [6][K], then dodge and throw.
    [6][K]+[G][3][P]+[G]: This is one of my favorites. Anyone that can reverse mid-punches, or has an automatic Inashi/Reversal (Vanessa/Jacky/LeiFei) will do nothing here, as they'll want to reverse the punch that's usually connected to the [6][K]+[G]. If you actually hit with the initial kick, then you've got a much higher chance to pull the throw off, but I've done it even when blocked. Most people don't really know what to do. Dodge attacks are quite common when they're expecting the punch to come through. If so, block, & throw. This is one of Aoi's best moves, as the recovery time from the FULL combo (with the punch) is almost nothing, which gives her the edge. Mix this up - try your own variations. You'll find very few players have a good 'all-around' backup plan for that move.

Character-specific Techniques:
    Lei Fei:
    This should be your easiest opponent. Sure he's strong, but you can read his moves like a book! Also, you can reverse his SenShippo, so you should take that out of the scene completely. Just learn what moves of his are double-fisted, and try not to screw with them. Use his stances to your advantage. If you hit w/ [2][K]+[G] when he's in a stance, he's going down. Also, he's got a TON of mids -- use your mid-reversals. Don't be afraid.

Kage:
    Kage can go either way. He's got a vicious evasive attack which I hate.
    Now, to your advantage, many people hesitate a bit before using [9][K]+[G], as they want to make sure they're not too close. That's a mid-reveral by the way, and there's another move that you can pretty much negate from the match.
    When Kage is on the completely opposite side of the screen, dodge whatever comes to you. He's only got one sweep (a G-cancellable one, unfortunately) but don't let his flying kicks and slides intimidate you.
    He's also go no double-fisted punches, so be sure to go into your [4][P]+[K]+[G] stance every now and again to throw him off.

Lau & Jacky:
    Two tough opponents. [4][P]+[K]+[G] work well,but don't use them too much -- both have very powerful round houses. Most of the tricky stuff I've posted above should suffice.

Sarah:
    Again - [4][P]+[K]+[G]. Let's not even bother with that damn flamingo. Most of the time her moves going into the flamingo are mid or high, and linear. Just inashi that garbage and keep on with a much cleaner fight.
    She's got a LOT of mid kicks, and a rising knee. Don't be afraid to reverse them.

Wolf / Jeffry / Akira:
    With the exception to Akira in round starters, I make it a note to not try reversals too much with these guys, as they've either got shoulder-power, or double-fisted crap. One good time is when Wolf's back is facing you -- low reversal, as he'll likely come with that low kick and knock your legs out from under you.
    Throwing is a huge part of Wolf & Jeffry's game -- make it a big part of yours, and don't let them ring you out.

Pai:
    I've not fought enough Pai's to know. She's extremely difficult to reverse IMHO, as she's got high,low, and mid round-houses, which I hate. I'll update this as I play more skilled Pai's.

Lion:
    Don't be afraid to reverse his round houses. If your enemy is a decent distance away when you quick rise, chances are he's doing a low sweep or a mid -- you've got a 50/50 chance, and might even be able to tell as he's winding up. Reverse it, and follow up with [6][K][K].

Shun:
    Shun can be tricky, and hard to reverse. One good piece of advice, is if you can [2][K]+[G] his handstand, then you also get the lovely [3][P]+[G] and [3][P] afterwards. Use them. Just watch out, as it's easy for him to go high, low, or mid. Kind of a guessing game, but it can be done.

Vanessa:
    Vanessa also has a lot of mids, so not a bad idea to get that mid-reversal ready. One thing to get used to is the difference between her mid-sweep ([6][6][K]), and her flying ([K]+[G]) sweep. They start of quite different, so you should be able to tell what's coming. For the high, definitely dodge it, and go for the throw. For the mid-sweep reverse it, and follow up with [6][K][K]. Very nice.
    She should also NEVER be able to use [6][P][K][K]. If she pulls off the third [K], no matter how much she delays it, you need to work on your reversals. This should be reversed in a major way. Watch out though, [6][P][K][P]+[G] is a favorite tricky move with skilled Vanessas. Myself included. She's also got a lot of attacks that require winding up -- be ready for them, as you can inashi or reverse them easier than other characters.

Well, that's all I have for now. Feel free to contact me with any fixes or additions.

Gaijin Punch

2. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Nice guide at least, without all the fucking blathering - just content. It's not too long yet though but hopefully it'll be updated. Way to go!

3. GaijinPunch

I did make one mistake though after reading it again ---
    YOu can't dodge Vanessa's [K]+[G]. I meant to write "duck". /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

4. death_raven

death_raven Well-Known Member

nice work Gaijin.

5. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

Question: what is the purpose of f,b+p sabaki over the b+p sabaki? On paper, the b+p sabaki looks equal or superior in every way. Does the f,b+p sabaki have a larger window of sabaki or someting?

Thx!

6. GaijinPunch

It's better for a charging (from a distance) opponent, as it takes noticeably longer to wind up. I'm not sure about the recovery, which is why I only mentioned it. I'll try to work out a good time to put that in here pretty soon.

7. Vicious666

Vicious666 Well-Known Member

[2][K]+[G][1][P]+[K]
    GP, could you explain this to me? I don't understand the reversal part of it...can you reverse someone that isn't attacking, that is actually in the midst of recovering from the [2][K]+[G] hit? Am I missing a huge part of this concept?

8. GaijinPunch

It doesn't work 100% of the time -- I only recommend it when you're up a round, and you're playingsomeone that likes to beat the crap out of their opponent -- not low punch and throw. After you do the [2][K]+[G] you won't knock the opponent over unless it's a counter hit. You won't have a huge frame advantage, but you've got some. If you go into the YY stance a LOT, and your opponent knows it, he might just throw you --- I don't go into it that often, so I generally get attacked mid after a low sweep. So, I throw in a reversal from time to time, and a lot of times I pull it off, especially w/ Lau, Sarah, and Jacky.