1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Aoi noob

Discussion in 'Aoi' started by OneTooMany, Oct 29, 2003.

1. OneTooMany

OneTooMany Well-Known Member

Id like some advice on playing properly with Aoi cause I suck with her but really like her style.So could someone give me some pointers on how to kick serious ass with her.

2. Banshee

Banshee Well-Known Member

I'm fairly new with her, but some of the things that I have found with her:

She is in NO way a combo character. You must keep your head instead of tapping buttons. You can get some really high damage stuff off of juggles, but most of these rely on circumstance, not a set-em-up, knock-em-down strategy.

Use her throws. They are absolutely deathly necessary. She has some of the very best throws in the game. This also means down throws. If you go up against a low gaurding opponent all of the time, go for one of those.

Finally, use her YY stance. Don't just back away from the opponent, set up the stance, and then wait. Use moves like [3][P], [2][K]+[G], and even [P][P][P][K] followed by the stance (they all connect right to it after the move when you input [P]+[K]+[G]. This usually catches a gaurding opponent when they counterattack.

These are the very basics. I don't know exactly what you want in terms of strategy, but this will lead you down the path to success.

3. OneTooMany

OneTooMany Well-Known Member

Thanks man anything will help.

4. [ QUOTE ]
    Banshee said:

I'm fairly new with her, but some of the things that I have found with her:

She is in NO way a combo character. You must keep your head instead of tapping buttons. You can get some really high damage stuff off of juggles, but most of these rely on circumstance, not a set-em-up, knock-em-down strategy.

Use her throws. They are absolutely deathly necessary. She has some of the very best throws in the game. This also means down throws. If you go up against a low gaurding opponent all of the time, go for one of those.

Finally, use her YY stance. Don't just back away from the opponent, set up the stance, and then wait. Use moves like [3][P], [2][K]+[G], and even [P][P][P][K] followed by the stance (they all connect right to it after the move when you input [P]+[K]+[G]. This usually catches a gaurding opponent when they counterattack.

These are the very basics. I don't know exactly what you want in terms of strategy, but this will lead you down the path to success.

[/ QUOTE ]

While i agree that using aoi without her throws is like tring to breath without lungs you cannot forget her ability to strike this is a mistake that i made when i frist started playing her
    her [6][K] floats on a counter follow with
    [6][K][K]
    [P][P][P][2][K]
    [P][P][K][2][K]+[G][3][G]+[P]
    her [4][6][P]+[K]crumbles follow with any of the above or go for a low throw

the trick with aoi is using her strikes to cover distance ,screw with your opponants timing ,and remind him that he dosent get to [2][P]or[P] his way to victory .
    also go to practice mode and learn her sabakies
    and hit throws there indispencable
    (sorry i spell like a third grader /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif)
    feel free the mail me more spesific stuff throught the site shes one of my favorites

good luck man long live aoi,wolf,and jeffery

5. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

Imho, the guard cancels are what really makes up her offense.

Do any one of her strings that have the option of guard canceling, guard cancel, and then mixup between throws, strikes (esp the sabakis, the b,b+p+k, the b,df+p, etc.), another string, or do not guard cancel and finish the string (esp if the initial strike hits). It really keeps them guessing. And actually, the higher AIs in quest do this fairly well.

6. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Without a doubt, the G-cancels are her forte. Get used to G-cancelling damn near every move you can, and mix it up, following with throws and crumble-moves ([4][3][P]+[K]) etc.

Remember some of her bread and butter moves
    [4][6][P]+[K], [4][3][P]+[K], and [6][K] are not throw-counterable, and that even though the double-stop [4][3][P] no-longer crumbles, it is not useless. It's VERY quick, unreversable/inashi-able and is great for interrupts.

7. HungOver

HungOver Active Member

Nice post guys. Good stuff. (I'm new with Aoi, and this helps /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif .)

-Chuck

8. Ecchi

Ecchi Well-Known Member

Hmmmm... very interesting. I'm a Wolf player, but Aoi sounds like she might be right up my alley. I think I'll give her a shot in practice tonight.

9. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

Aoi is definitely a grappler. While she might not do the damage that Wolf/Jeff/Goh/Vanessa, I personally get out more throws with Aoi than anybody. It's those guard cancels- Condition them to block, and then break bones. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif It's just sort of like Potemkin's hammer fall cancel into PBs. You can also do guessing games after a YY inashi, and she's got the 11 frame jab, too.

And of course, she's got a gazillion other moves too- such a balanced char, with so many options, imho (at least on paper). She's a lot harder to use than Wolf, Jeff and Goh, though. Aoi remains my favourite (not best) character to play.