1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Aoi Openers

Discussion in 'Aoi' started by Jilber, Jun 25, 2003.

1. MrUmenokouji

MrUmenokouji Well-Known Member

I didn't realize the UP- K + G from ver C had become a down attack
    in Evo...again, I'm just catching up with what's going on in this
    "new" era of VF. So the FORWARD KICK KICK is gone, and this move...I'm
    such a cheap SOB that I still fall back on these in ver C, sometimes
    in desperation (most of the time actually). I always thought though that
    these two moves were kind of less realistic than a lot of Aoi's stuff, so
    maybe that's why they've gone the way of the Dodo.

2. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    [ QUOTE ]
    MrUmenokouji said:

So the FORWARD KICK KICK is gone, and this move...I always thought though that
    these two moves were kind of less realistic than a lot of Aoi's stuff, so
    maybe that's why they've gone the way of the Dodo.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are referring to her knee->jump kick, it's still in evo. The standing kick->downward slam kick is the move that got removed. As for unrealistic [8][K][G], yeah, i've never seen an aikidoka with a 6' vertical leap from a dead standstill /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif Her kotegaeshi animation (backturned punch reversal) is very nice, though, and quite a few of the other moves aren't bad accuracy-wise

3. MrUmenokouji

Yes, thank you. Just Aoi's [K][K] is what i meant. I complained bitterly about it. I've seen some vids of Evo Aoi and I must say she does seem to move much more smoothly; it's interesting how some characters look really good and less "choppy" for lack of a better word in the Evo update, Jeff and Lau in particular (Akira still looks robotic, but that's his style), also Sarah seems MUCH more realistic. Lion and Jacky seem, dare I say, softer-looking. Kind of...too pretty. If you get my meaning. (Just jo-kin).

4. ong_y_j

ong_y_j New Member

Help for newbie

Hello pros at vfdc! Erm sorry but I'm not too sure how to start off a new discuession, so I'll type my questions and some reflections here.
    I'm a newbie who loves playing with aoi, maybe its the style of fighting, the CG or whatever(shundi as 2nd choice). Anway, I realised that her counters aren't that difficult to execute(esp. against button smashers) but I always need a decent distance to do it right. Also, I don't really like the y-y evade stance, perhaps I still dunno when to pull it off nicely. One very interesting stuff... Sometimes trading attacks are beneficial, say opponent execues a long recovering combo, even if I take the last few blows(without falling off balance), the immediate throw usually works.
    Can any1 offer me some guidelines against say 'Leifei's keep away leg stance' that disallows me to go towards him?
    Thanks for any comments or recommendations, solutions etc. To end this off, I'll say I like double back dash often in opening moves to have more space to plan for counter or dash forward throws:)

5. SoundWave

SoundWave Well-Known Member

Re: Help for newbie

that's pretty cool, those are my first and second choice too! My little brother uses Lei Fei and i think i know the stance you're talking about, just use what little long distance moves she has like her big sweep and her knee to jumping kick.

6. MrUmenokouji

Sweep, or if it's ver C VF 4, do the [8][K][G] pounce. Also there's [1][K] ankle kick, if he's right on top of you.

7. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

One move against Lei Fei I haven't really tested out in Evo is the double-stop. It's two-handed, so isn't subect to any of his Sabaki's.

The stance you're talking about though - the best thing to do is wait. If he goes w/ the mid (sabaki's almost anything) and you block it, [2][K]+[G] is guaranteed, and is a counter, so he'll tumble to the ground. If he goes w/ the low kick, and you don't block it, just wait - he has to get a counter hit for the rest of it to connect. The bad side is, he's only at -6 or -7 after this move, so if you try to throw him, he can unload on you.

YY is relatively safe in Lei's stances, but if he goes w/ the aforementioned low kick while you're in the YY -- it's a counter hit. /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. ong_y_j

ong_y_j New Member

Re: abit > help for newbie

Hey thanks guys now I'm enlightened with what I can do against that move. Just another general question in the fighting... Some players always go for quick combos or high damage moves. There are quite a number of times that after I got hit and clocked the damage the opponent just walks off and play for time. Whenever I go to him he'll release some attacks and run off again. I know that whenever in lead the player has a very significant advantage, but certainly not demonstrated in this manner? Are there ways or styles of play that will at least get me fighting a more balanced, 'fair' game?

9. GaijinPunch

WEll, in my neighborhood, there are plenty of players. If you don't like someone style, there's only 19,999 more people to play against. This does happen - on rare occasions, but it'll happen. I've found people would rather play someone far better than them and get their asses kicked than play someone that throws in a few hits - runs back to the wall, then comes back. "Chicken" is what it's called. It's a valid style, just boring as fuck.

10. MrUmenokouji

One of the only people I have to (rarely) play against here often operates in this manner. Usually with a lot of circling, especially in a walled arena where there's no chance to topple out accidentally. This is a Jacky and Lei Fei guy...both of whom can get away with this run and duck jive because of the fact of their superior counters (to Aoi when she attacks)...say, if you try to charge them down. My only option, when I'm behind. I usually try to CD in and out to get him to bite and make a mistake trying to counter something I'm G-cancelling...if I knew how to YY better, I'd do that. Aoi seems best off the counter, especially after a knockdown...a pressure Aoi is a beautiful thing.

11. hikarutilmitt

hikarutilmitt Well-Known Member

I actually like to use her [4][K][G] and if it counter hits (which it will a lot of the time) I'll tag them with a [1][K] from back-turned and see what they do from there. If they I/TR then I'll go for a recovery stagger or something, otherwise I'll hit them with a knee off of the bounce.

Of course, agaisnt Akira and/or an aggressive opponent, I'll usualyl just duck back real quick and guard whatever they throw at me. If it's a ballsy Lei Fei I might go for a [6][K],[K] to eat their stance change.

12. MrUmenokouji

I'm not a frames guy, but I rarely go for the [6][K], [K] only because it seems Aoi's at such a disadvantage if blocked...the only time it seems safe is off some kind of other attack, like the dash-back [4][4][P]+[K] counter.

13. GaijinPunch

Try playing w/ just [6][K] when [6][K][K] isn't guaranteed. It's deceivingly not throw counterable.

14. hikarutilmitt

Yep. Though, at the same time, if they're crouching you bet your ass I'm gonna use both hits. The aded side effect of using just [6][K], though, is that if they try to counter it and fail, you've got yourself a nice floater.

15. MAXIMUM

MAXIMUM Well-Known Member

Another good opening is the stock leg sweep [2][G][K] followed by [G][P][K] into the standing yy stance. It's a satisfying opening, and often the opponent will go for a mid attack after eating the leg sweep.

16. GaijinPunch

I put in my Aoi tips I wrote long ago that:
    [2][K]+[G][1][P]+[K] is a great move against any of the mid-heavy players. I still use it now.

HIkaru:
    [ QUOTE ]

Yep. Though, at the same time, if they're crouching you bet your ass I'm gonna use both hits. The aded side effect of using just fK, though, is that if they try to counter it and fail, you've got yourself a nice floater.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true - but if they're ONLY ducking you get nothing except them standing up. Zero damage, and maybe only a couple of frames advantage. The 2nd K isn't guaranteed. /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

How's the weather in San Antonio? I miss that Mexican food.

17. hikarutilmitt

True, but any advantage to get the damage is what I sometimes go for, just because it's Aoi :p

Also, I try not to use her [2][K]+[G] as an opener against most characters simply because they can eat you alive with an elbow or other fast mid attack.

San Antonio... we've been getting tons of rain altely. I'm hoping it won't rain tomorrow when I drive to San Angelo for my summer classes. The only place here with Mexican food that's worth a damn, to me, is Jacala. There's a Momma Margie's up near my house here at north I-10 that's like a slightly better Taco Cabana, but that's about all.

I prefer Chinese food. There's a GREAT place called Lee Chinese Buffet up on NW Military and Lockhill Selma that just plain rocks, especially for the price.

18. Chilavert

Chilavert Member

Ok, I'm a newbie... and I use newbie tatics... /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    Many times I start with:

[3][3] [P]+[G]

Is a "run throw" very fast... not so defensive, but for the first attack can be good... in my opinion... /versus/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

19. hikarutilmitt

Using a throw to start a match isn't such a good idea ^^;

I'm hoping that you mean to use a crouch dash into her [2_][6][P]+[G] throw, otherwise you'll get nailed out of it every time by high attacks.

20. Chilavert

Chilavert Member

Tis not happen with defensive players and the computer... for now, almost... /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    However is not the my only opening move... I prefere use an "attack and fast style"... so I love that Grab move... /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif