1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Aoi reversals

Discussion in 'Aoi' started by Sanosuke, May 13, 2002.

1. Sanosuke

Sanosuke New Member

Ive been trying to nail the timing on aoi's reversals, but when ever i try to grab i get hit and hard.
    Sometimes god will shine his divine light on me and ill reverse.

Anybody knows about when i have to do press the buttons to reverse??? is it during the attack, before i get hit, before the limb reaches me???
    And another thing, how can i attack with the YY stance once i deflect an attack. only thing i can do is f+k,k and still some ppl will duck both the kicks and d+p me. I end up so far from my opponent i cant even grab. Do i p+g right after i deflect the attack or dash forward and grab em?? (which surely will get me nailed to the floor)

2. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

you'll want to reverse an attack really close to the hit frame... that is, when the attack is fully executed and about the time it would hit you.

I recommend you understand the pace of the match between your opponent and yourself, before you try to reversing, and especially knowing your opponent's choice of options and patterns.

As for after deflecting with the YY, it's a guessing game and it's up to you. Attack mid, attack low, go in for a throw... up to you, but try to get around your opponent's defense or counter-offense.

-Chanchai

3. Wedge

Wedge Member

I primarily play Aoi, although i'm mostly a newbie, I don't try reversals all that often. I think they're just too risky. You need to hit the reversal command just as the attack would hit... Probably within a few frames. Against other humans who are more casual players, reversals are nice, since casual players moves are usually quite predictable, but it's rare that I pull them off against the CPU AI's or advanced players. I think the best time to try a reversal is after your opponent has blocked your attack, and begins to counter-attack. You have a 1 in 3 chance of guessing the placement at this point, and the timing is usually evident.

I use the YY stance quite a lot. After deflecting, try some of your longer ranged attacks, like d/f+k, or f+k+g, or f, f+p.
    Keep in mind that since you switched positions during the deflection, it can be confusing at first which direction on the controller is forward /versus/images/icons/smile.gif
    If your opponent has a tendency to block your attacks after a YY deflection, dash in and throw right after you deflect. This will use your f, f+p+g throw. An opponent who is really on his toes can escape the throw, but it's worth a shot in my opinion.

4. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Most of the reversal game is a guessing game. You might want to try getting good at anticipating when the inashi will work, and then move to reversals. Generally, almost all of my reversals are mid. I very rarely go high or low.

It's always better to play against a person, rather than the CPU. The easiest to reverse (by far) is Lei Fei, as you can read him like a book. Kage isn't bad, b/c people overuse his 9K+G, which is a great move to reverse -- very intimidating. Vanessa's got a few moves as well that are easy to read. Get someone half-decent w/ this characters to practice with.

5. Wedge

Wedge Member

I find that it's often worthwhile to try to reverse a rising attack too. Since rising attacks are either mid or low, you have a 50% chance of guessing correctly, since the timing on rising attacks is very evident. Some attacks will even reverse for damage (Akira's) while most reversals of rising attacks will at least give you an easy opportunity to knock yoru opponent down again.

This is probably something that an expert player will make you pay for, but it's fun against the cpu, and casual players.

6. Jakekun

Jakekun Well-Known Member

The only move I've found that comes out fast enough after a YY inashi is p+k, p, p. It's not always guaranteed, but I've hardly ever had anyone get away from it.

7. GaijinPunch

If you can figure out which way the camera is turning, a throw works well. Or b,f+P, P+G on hit.

8. Defcon_5

Defcon_5 New Member

It's very hard to figure out, when you have to smash the buttons for reversal. You should only try to reversal standart mid punches...

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I dont find Lei Fei easy to counter at all..some of his moves you can see coming but they are very hard to counter. My brother uses Lei Fei. We're both pretty evenly matched (because Lei Fei is easy to use) and i can never seem to reverse him and his stances make him really hard to get too...i find reversing is best in the middle of a combo if you know the timing..just block the first one or two punches then reverse the third...

10. GaijinPunch

I'd say Lei Fei is the easiest to reverse, then probably Lau (when in doubt - go mid). Here's a few of Lei's moves I like to reverse:

1: Senshippou -- this should never be successful from a very long distance against Aoi. Way to easy to reverse.

2: Uh... can't remember the stance, so I'll do the move:
    b/d+P+K+G, P+KPP -- you should be able to reverse the 2nd P, if not the first (since most good Lei's don't do the 2nd)

3: f+K -- you've got about a 40% chance to reverse down, 20% to reverse a quick mid, 20% to reverse a delayed mid -- the delayed mid should be easy.

Try those -- might be worth a shot. Just watch out for his double fisted stuff. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

11. Ioa

Ioa Member

Ground reversals ?

One more question regading Aoi's reversal. I found the Aoi's gound reversal (when Aoi's down face up , press [P]+[K]) is rather useless.

I can't find the way to use it at all. I don't even know when it's going to come out and when it actually does reverse the ground attack it does no damage. Any suggestion on how to use this move or it's just a 'show off' move that no one should ever use ?

12. death_raven

death_raven Well-Known Member

Re: Ground reversals ?

as you may have noticed the ground reversal is slow, i dont used it because of the difficulty in timing, as to where it needs t be used, it needs to be used against weak down attacks, its not really a show off move, i mean if you can anticipate a weak down attack when you're on the floor and can time the reversal right then this would be really useful coz if you somehow manage to do the reversal it leaves your opponent turned away from you ( thats how i remember it) and have an opportunity for an offensive. but due to what circumastance you need to be (on the floor, weak down attack etc..) it makes it ineffective/useless in most cases /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

13. GaijinPunch

I never use it, except when I screw up. I wouldn't worry about perfecting it.

What makes it worse, Aoi's ground throws in Evo are escapable.

14. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

When doing the command list for Aoi, I played around with her down attack reversals a bit and came up with the idea that they might not be totally useless afterall.

Most characters have a "guaranteed" down attack ([3][P] or [3][K]) after some of their throws. However, you might find that you can recover in time and just start to move if you struggle hard enough, even though the down attack still hits you (which makes it effectively guaranteed). In these situations where you can move first even though you still get hit, you should (in theory) be able to reverse their down attack. Off the top of my head I can think of Jeffry's [P]+[G] or [3][3][P]+[G] which require a fair amount of struggling and rolling in a particular direction in order to avoid a down attack. I'm sure Aoi can easily reverse Jeffry in these cases.

If you can, test it out with a friend. Let him use his/her favourite throws which guarantee down attacks afterwards, and you just hammer away at [P]+[K] to both struggle out of the down stun, and perform the down attack reversal at the fastest possible time.

Please note that I don't play Aoi, and haven't tested any of this myself, so my idea may be totally useless in the end. You have been warned. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

15. Jakekun

Jakekun Well-Known Member

Jeffery's [P]+[G] throw with a df[K] attack is reversable, but it is about the only one I've been able to do regularly. Other times I've been able to get the move started, but it's just way too slow and doesn't come out fast enough.

16. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

The other day, I actually managed to make use of the ground reversal. I reversed Sarah's soccer kick, and she went into a wall, which I believe caused a small stagger, allowing me a f+k,k. Cool, huh. On the same line of thinking, it probably has some R.O. value. Still, probably not your best option, but it keeps things interesting. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

17. death_raven

death_raven Well-Known Member

great theory Myke and since you don't use Aoi i did the liberty of confirming it, and here are the results

theory is for Aoi to reverse the guaranteed weak down attack provided by some throws

due to the results its only works on Kage's [3][P]+[G] weak down attack, [4][2][P]+[G]weak down attack, Lau's [4][6][P]+[G] weak down ataack, and Lion's [4][P]+[G] weak down attack, so basically for aoi users familiarize with these characters throws that i stated, to put your advantage

ok now for the explanation on why just them, well kage's down attack is slow (prolly has more frames than other), so its guaranteed to work wether you mash [P]+[K] or time it to the exact moment, for both Lau and Lion you prolly wondering why just this one throw well the throws that they have does not let you recover enough except the ones i stated, and some other reasons that i'll get to shortly, for the other members its ineffective coz their throws also dont let you recover fast enough, and also for one reason when Aoi is face down on the floor if you see Aoi down attack reversal when face down its obvious that it has more frames hence Aoi is at a disadvantage, a great example is Aoi herself her throws with guaranteed weak attack ussually leaves an opponent Face down on th floor. and there you have it, a little known use for Aoi down attack reversal /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

18. Neonomide

Neonomide Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Neonomide
    How come Aoi has that [2]+[P][K] ground reversal (or what it actually is)? i know she can whiff opponent over her when she is [3][P]:d by opponent, but has this any other uses? Or can whiff [3][K]:s as well? Hmmm...