1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Aoi rising kick reversals

Discussion in 'Aoi' started by agios_katastrof, May 31, 2002.

1. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

I've only recently began using Aoi's rising kick reversals, actually Aoi as a whole, and am generally enthused.

Question: it appears that sometimes, she grabs your leg and slams you on the ground, and sometimes she seems to inashi you into a crouch position. Both are kinda cool, but it leaves me disoriented a bit, as I'm often expecting the other. So, what exactly determines which? I've done searches regarding, but haven't found this specific information.

Thx!

2. baobab

baobab Well-Known Member

XBL:
    surgical donuts
    the reversal that pushes their leg and does no damage is the crescent reversal. the same thing happens when she reverses a sweep, ie. pushes their leg and no damage caused.

3. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

I've been playing around with Aoi's rising kick reversals lately. Anyway, here goes nothing:

Aoi reverses or inashis a rising kick based on the position the downed opponent is in. As far as I know, if the opponent is in the face-up, feet away position and attempts a mid-level rising attack, it will be reversed. If the opponent does a low rising attack, Aoi will inashi the attack. I like to use throws to put the opponent in that position. Aoi's hit throws, her aiki throw (D, f+P+G), or her f, f+P+G throw are a few good ones.

When the opponent is in any other position (face-up/feet toward, face down/feet away, face down/feet toward), Aoi will inashi the attack, as far as I know.

In Akira's case, both mid and low rising attacks will be reversed. It doesn't matter which downed position he is in.

It's a little hard (for me, anyway) to keep track of the opponent's downed position during a match, so sometimes just remembering which throws or attacks create certain downed situations helps.

4. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Fallen Positions -- Straying a bit from the thread...

Warning: This goes slighly off topic.

Falling position is very important in general play. At least I believe it's very important.

Some factors to why I believe falling position is important:
    -What type of rising attack will the opponent have access to?
    -Back-Stagger situations: Face Down-Head Towards + TR/SR or Face Down-Feet Towards + QR/IP
    -Okizeme options and ways to dodge the rising attack if it comes.

And as Ghostdog points out, a great way of applying this is to understand what causes opponents to fall this way. For example...

Common ways to setup fall-down positions:
    -Comboing a Turned Around opponent often leads to Face Down-Feet Towards.
    -Comboing a crumpled opponent often leads to Face Down-Head Towards. Think of Jet Li movies and the common knockdown for a handstanding opponent.
    -Most common knock down is Face Up-Feet Towards. Flooring an opponent, leg-flop, common float combos.
    -Easiest specific situations to remember are probably throws, if successful-same result should apply every time for the same throw.
    -Look for attacks in your character's arsenal that results in varied landing situations. For instance, Akira doing b,f+P+K+G--if I remember correctly, opponent lands in Face Down-Head Towards. As ShinZ did this in a combo, the opponent tech-rolled and ShinZ got a backstagger in.

Anyways, this is an area of VF4 that I'd like to see abused more in US play. It's quite important in forcing various okizeme games or opening evil okizeme setups for those who aren't familiar with them.

However, I don't think one should focus too much on it until after they know the basics and how to apply the implications of these situations.

-Chanchai

5. Jakekun

Jakekun Well-Known Member

Face up attacks usually counter as a parry. These are crescent attacks, so expect the same thing to happen with other moves. After Aoi's push off you are guaranteed 2 really good attacks 1. b,f p (p+g) 2. f, k, k

Face down attacks seem to counter regularly. Akira and Jacky are the only ones that come to mind who have one rising attack she can't counter.

6. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

Cool. Thx guys, once again.