1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Aoi Umenokoji VS. The VF Cast

Discussion in 'Aoi' started by Tiripsem, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Tiripsem

Tiripsem Well-Known Member

With the addition of Jean Kujo and Taka Arashi, the ever growing Virtua Fighter cast now stands at a 19 member count. Knowing how to handle characters are a large aspect of playing with the goal of winning consistently, especially with a technical character like Aoi. I will be covering matchups in this thread and how to deal with certain characters and their tricks.

*NOTE: I initially wanted to post more than just one character at a time but I feel that I need a much deeper understanding of them before I can delve into writing more. From now on, I will still only write one at a time, but with as much detail as my knowledge allows. Thank you for bearing with me :)!

First I'll start of with a universal strategy, applying to every single cast member,

[P], [6][P], [2][P] are your fundamental poking and set up tools, learn them inside out along with their applications and this alone can take you far.
    • [P] beats [6][P]
    • [2][P] beats [P]
    • [6][P] beats [2][P] at small (+2) advantage.
    *Not every cast member uses [6][P]as an elbow (Ex. Lei Fei, Vanessa, Wolf)

Knowing the basic nittaku guessing game is important too. It all boils down to should you guard or attack. Of course, Virtua Fighter is much more deeper than that once you delve into throw escapes, evades, TEG, etc.
    • Strikes beats Throws
    • Guard beats Strikes
    • Throw beats Guard
    Now that the foundational information is said and done, onto character strategy.

Aoi Umenokoji VS. Akira Yuki

[​IMG]

Two childhood friends fight it out to see who's the strongest. Gentle flow or brute force? Akira is an offense heavy character with a few built in defensive tools. His offense can more than easily whittle your health to nothing and he is also capable of literally breaking through your defenses. Fear inducing and ground shaking strength manifests itself as Akira.

First lets cover his defense techniques. Akin to Aoi, he has several reversals that could mean serious trouble if you become predictable. Being easily read into shouldn't be happening regardless of character so remember to use her wide repertoire of moves to move the opponent away from reversal tendencies lest they want to eat counter hits. His sabaki abilities have been changed since VF5 and he now only has one. Albeit only having one, it's still quite formidable, countering two of your fastest and most basic options [P] and [2][P] and all the while allowing to tack on a combo upon success!

To overcome Akira's defenses, it's fairly simple. Unlike Aoi, Akira's reversals and sabaki crumble against Aoi's nimble Ryoushi [4][3][P] and her combo starting [4][6][P]+[K] due to their dual limb property. Also using Aoi's [K]+[G] and [2][K]+[G] render his counters completely useless while both offer some nice after effects, throw or mid option and okizime opportunity respectively.

Next are his offensive techniques which are a cornerstone of his game. More prominently made in VF5FS are his guard breaks are dangerous and with good reason, they make you shudder at the thought of standing guard. His [3][P]+[K]+[G] breaks right through your guard and proceeds to unleash a flurry of attacks from all directions that total up to a 70 damage total! Once you have been conditioned into respecting the guard breaks, his insane mid game will mow right over you if you're not prepared. His low attack capabilities are few but they have some very good properties that will takes chunks of your health. The worst aspect about his lows is that you'll often times be so worried about his powerful mid strikes that you'll probably fall prey to his lows quite often. His throws aren't as strong as Aoi, Taka, Goh, or Wolf's but they still pack a good punch. He has good throws in both [4] and [6] directions so it's a complete guessing game as to which to escape with, [4][6][P]+[G] coming in at 60 while [6][4][P]+[G] can inflict 65+ damage easily on Aoi and more near walls!

Akira's offense are the reason he is one of the most feared of the cast (especially in the hands of a seasoned player). Knowing how to beat out his options will certainly assist in winning against the Hakkyoku-Ken master.

• His guard breaks are almost all high and linear. That is key since Akira is a very linear character. He has half circulars but they can always be evaded towards one direction! Once his throw breaks are proven to be not as intimidating you don't have to worry as much about being scared to guard. Remember to keep it in the back of your mind.
    • Standing guard obviously helps with a majority of his moves since they are mids. A charged [4][6][P]+[K] will break your guard but you can see it coming and either evade to the appropriate direction or use the ever useful [1][P]+[K] mid reversal. Most often players will freeze up at the sight of this move, it's imperative to resort to [1][P]+[K] instead of an impulsive and reckless evade. Evading in the wrong direction can be costly because of the new half circular mechanic in FS which turns evades in the wrong direction into an automatic CH!
    • His moves into Teirou Kanpo (where he grabs you and pushes you and your character becomes disoriented) forces you into standing guard or crouching guard to defending his incoming attack, remember this and make a guess based on the situation!
    • For those Akira players who love mids on wakeup, the mid reversal works quite nicely too just remember to input a throw escape along with it.
    • Tenchi In'You works well against less often reversed moves like [4][P] but tread lightly with it because Akira's double handed moves like [2_][4][6][P], [2][1][4][P], and also any throws will decimate it.
    • When his lows are blocked, they are generally unsafe and can be punished with [3][3][P]~[4][P]+[G] or low throws. His only safe low is [3][P]+[K] which is +5 on guard so do not use punishing tools after [3][P]+[K], especially unsafe ones like [3][3][P]!
    • His launchers are lethal in general but can spell doom for Aoi due to her being a lightweight character. Seriously, his damage dips dangerously into the 90~100 range. Make sure to punish with [P][K] to discourage reckless launchers.
    • Observe the Akira player's habits! If they favor one half circular, you can avoid future damage when evading. But stay alert! Akira's [4][6][P]+[K] may be the most often used half circular mid but an attentive Akira player will switch to [4][6][P]+[K]+[G]. If this catches your evade, you will be counter hit and also be left side turned at -9, one of the worst possible positions to be in against Akira.
    Now that you have an idea of how to handle Akira players, naturally it's a necessity to know how to punish him correctly. Here are his punishable moves:

Teishitsu Dantai
    [K]+[G] (Release [G] 1 frame) -13F (Punish with [P][K] or throw)

Byakko Soushouda
    [2_][4][6][P] -15F (Punish with [P][K] or throw)

Utankyaku
    [6][6][K] -15F (Punish with [P][K] or throw)

Hyousatai
    [6][6][P]+[K]~[P]+[G]~[P]+[K]+[G][K] -15 (Punish with [P][K] or throw)

Youzentai
    [2][K] -15F (Punish with [P][K] or throw)

Youshi Saiken
    [K]+[G][P] -15F (Punish with [P][K] or throw)

Youhou
    [3][3][P] -15F (Punish with [P][K] or throw)

Jashin Hisei
    [6][P][4][K] -17F (Punish with low throw or [3][3][P]~[P]+[G])

Renkantai
    [6][6][K][K] -26F (Punish with launcher or throw)

Tetsuzankou
    [4][6][6][P]+[K] -32F (Punish with launcher or throw)

*I strongly suggesting punishing with attacks instead of throws unless the opponent does not use throw escapes!*

Hopefully this helps for those struggling against Akira, and remember,

"Brute force alone is not enough!"
    ~Aoi Umenokoji

Aoi_Pai, Sozos, Kikimaru and 4 others like this.
  2. MannyBiggz

MannyBiggz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    MannyBiggz
    XBL:
    Manello Biggz
    Good thread and thank you for the info Tiripsem. You might wanna touch up on some of the mistakes you got in there before you get locked out of editing your post. For example, you put "throw break" instead of "guard break" in that first bullet point.

Either way, looking forward to what else you've got.

3. Tiripsem

Ah, thank you! I believe Myke removed the editing window and you can edit any time. But still I need to comb through it and also make some additions as I continue to train with the specific character.

4. MannyBiggz

PSN:
    MannyBiggz
    XBL:
    Manello Biggz
    If it's true, that's good news about the editing window being removed. I can go back and update my wall thread properly.

I don't have much to offer here yet, but I was recently testing out Tenchi ( [P]+[K]+[G] ) options vs Jean's [3][3][P] options. Tenchi obviously beats out the mid knee follow up and that scores you a free launch (+19 I think?). The [6] cancel from tenchi seems to go under highs immediately and beats out the fully charged unblockable kick and scores you the built in [P] launcher from the cancel. Now last time I was messing around in the dojo, I think I might have discovered that you might be able to use Tenchi and slightly delayed [6] cancel as an option select for both of Jean's options here. It got it pretty consistently to where no matter how much delay he put on the knee, Tenchi would stay out long enough to catch it and the [6] cancel would come out late enough to instantly go under the unblockable.

Now I suspect that this kind of thing can be used for more built in mix ups out of strings. Sadly, I don't have access to the game for a little while and can't test further myself. But once I do, I'll report my results. I just figure I would share it because it might be something to think about in a lot of match ups.

5. Tiripsem

Don't worry, even if it's just one thing, your contribution can be extremely helpful to everyone!

And very interesting contribution it is! I just tested it out and it worked just as you said. The [6] will duck under Jean's [3][3][P][charge][K] but also retain it's parrying property long enough to catch an uncharged [3][3][P][K]! Also the [P] is guaranteed to hit during Jean's recovery on the charged attack. [3][3][P]+[K] is also guaranteed if the knee is parried. Interestingly enough, this still works if you were hit by Jean's [3][3][P]! The timing is a bit stricter since Aoi has to recover before being able to go into Tenchi In'You and because of this, [P] is not guaranteed after [6] unfortunately. The knee parry still works too.

Thank you very much, I'll remember to add this when I complete my Jean strategy!

6. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

A few points I'd like to clear up:

-There's not much point in Akira using his 70 damage guard break unless the player wants to show off. Otherwise, the guard break leading into a guaranteed [4][6][P] is better for him. More damage potential against Aoi. Another thing about [4][6][P] is that it gives him +1 on guard. Akira players that hit scan the move might try to use a jab when it's guarded.

-He doesn't have a full circular attack, but he has two very strong half-circular mids, one of which is a double-limbed attack ([4][6][P][+][K]). [4][6][P][+][K][+][G] leaves the opponent sideturned for lots of pressure if it hits. You've listed Aoi's high full-circular as a strength, but it's a high. ECDTEG should beat that every time. Despite lacking a full-circular attack, Akira is better equiped than Aoi for beating evades IMO.

-When Akira forces a side guard, I'd recommend something like [2][3][6][P][+][K], which sabakis some mid attacks and will beat his guard breaks. If you get hit with [2][P][+][K][+][G] you're normally at +10, and you can counter with a throw. It's only +8 if you get hit to your side, but you have a large advantage to pressure Akira.

-[3][P][+][K] is -5 on guard, not +5. His [2_][3][P][+][K] is pretty good at beating lots of mids when it's guarded from the Closed Foot Position (I believe), so I don't recommend her elbow. I'd try her sweep or something.

-The Teirou Kanpo thing isn't as threatening as you might think. You can guard the stomp on reaction. The key is not to freeze up, and tap [2] if you see the stomp. Also, enter a throw escape just in case the Akira player dashes in for a throw.

-I'd be very careful when trying to use Tenchi vs. Akira. If you think that he's going to go for a half-circular or low, then don't use it. Most of these moves will counter hit Aoi in that stance. She can't use Tenchi [6] to avoid anything either, since those options are all highs. Byakko and [2][1][4][P], as mentioned, also beat Tenchi, but they are also mid attacks.

7. Tiripsem

-While it is true that [4][6][P] has slightly more damage potential, the guard break required to have sufficient frame advantage has horrid range reaching only about half the range of [3][P]+[K]+[G]. The timing of the [4][6][P] has only 1 frame of lenience and, especially online, can fail resulting in the swatting at air should it fail. And while [4][6][P] may give +1, moves like Aoi's [4][3][P] will initiate at 14 frames, leaving only [2][P] a viable option for attack. *EDIT 8/29/12* [6][6][P] also viable

- To say Akira is better equipped to beat evades is a bit presumptuous isn't it? Her throws alone can end matches with Kirie Otoshi inflicting 70 damage guaranteed and up to 80~90 range if the opponent doesn't input a ground throw escape a full 10~20 higher than Akira. Her full circular [K]+[G] guarantees side throws on CH and if the opponent retaliates they eat a side crumple combo clocking in at a nice 75 damage. Despite it being avoidable by ECDTEG it pushes back out of throwing range and leaves Aoi at a small -2 on block. [2][K]+[G] is a full circular low that knocks down and is semi-safe with [P]+[K]+[G] that when it is delayed, ducks under throws but catches launchers or mids and highs. [4][P] is a full circular high that staggers against walls and the follow up [K] is cancelable kick that has a massive push back on counter hit. [6][6][P] is a middle range half circular cancelable mid attack that also has a massive push back on any hit. [4][K] is a special high kick, covering the opposite direction to [6][6][P] that staggers and allows for a combo against those who cant struggle out. [P][P][6][P][P] has two final half circular mids that track if the first mid is evaded. Back turned [P]+[K][P] is a half circular high. [1][P] is a half circular low that knocks down failed evades and those who don't tech suffer further damage from [2][K][P][P]. There's even more such as [6][P][P], [P][P][8] or [2][P], [3] or [9][P]+[K]. So why is Akira better equipped?

-While [2][3][6][P]+[K] is a wise choice due to it's cancelation of Akira's best side turn tactics it still will fail against double limbed attack ( [2][1][4][P] and [4][6][P]+[K]) and making it a habit will eventually prompt a [4][6][6][P]+[K] and that would leave one hell of a mark.

-No, what I said is true, you have a +5 advantage so don't try to punish with something that won't land. *EDIT: Sorry if this was unclear, I refered throughout the post from the point of the Aoi player so I thought it was clear.

-That is true, it may not be as fearsome, but it forces a guessing game making it one extra chance that the Akira player could win the match and in competition that could be decisive. Especially to Aoi, a character who suffers much more on one mistake than a character like Akira.

-The only half circular that could land without fail on an Aoi using Tenchi would be [4][6][P]+[K] that unless it is used without charge it can be totally avoidable with a well timed [P]+[K]+[G][8] or [2] (Input side throw escape and they are nulled) or even [4] if the distance is good just like any other of Akira's linear double handed moves. [4][6][P]+[K]+[G] can be parried making only one half circular available.

8. MannyBiggz

PSN:
    MannyBiggz
    XBL:
    Manello Biggz
    I can understand the confusion about the low because of the way you worded it. When you say something is "+ on block" that implies + for the attacker not the defender. That was the kind of thing I was referring to in my first post in this thread. My apologies for not pointing it out.

And I also gotta disagree about Akira's anti evade options being better. The kind of stuff that goes down with Aoi's [4][P] alone makes it stronger IMO. Even if it gets fail evade canceled under, she still has a built in [K] follow up that she can delay in case anyone tries to attack after the evade cancel, and if they try to evade again to get around the [K] follow up, she can stop after the [4][P] and use her back turned catch throw, which also leads to some nasty stuff. Pretty sure she can also use her low full circle sweep from back turned.

9. SilentNephilim

SilentNephilim Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SilentNephilim
    XBL:
    SilentNephilim
    Thank you very much for starting this thread Tiripsem! I'm looking forward to the other match ups :3

Tiripsem and Lord_Hollow like this.
  10. Genesis

Genesis Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Genesis Malakh
    I really dug that little character description before getting into the technical aspects of countering Akira.

Tiripsem likes this.
  11. Tiripsem

Thank you for the feedback, patience, and discussion on this thread! In a game full of theories and possibilities, debates are a great way to dig deeper into the possibilities!

The next match up will be Aoi vs. Aoi. Since a new page will most likely be created I will create a table of contents that will link to the page on each character for convenience's sake.

12. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

Not presumptuous. Aoi has some cool things, but I think that Akira's are better. I'm not suggesting that Akira's tracking options are better in every way, but I think that overall Akira's are better. I also wasn't including throws as part of the equation, but I think that Akira's throw game is a bit more balanced too. I think that he consistently offers more damage between his [4] and [6] directional throws. You've mentioned stuff such as guaranteed side throws and ground throws, but they're easy to escape. I don't consider them a factor.

EDIT: 70 damage guaranteed off of her 270 back throw?

The other stuff you said is fine. I just offered suggestions as to how to go about fighting Akira. Definitely an Akira player can adapt in the ways that you've mentioned. No strategy works every time.

Not sure what you're suggesting with this kind of stuff:

"And while [4][6][P] may give +1, moves like Aoi's [4][3][P] will initiate at 14 frames, leaving only [2][P] a viable option for attack."

Lots of Akira's moves are viable for attack in this situation. It's dependent upon how well the Akira player can read his opponent. Not sure why you think that [2][P] is more viable than his other options.

Let me know if you want any help in measuring Aoi vs. Brad.

13. Tiripsem

But regardless of course that she has full circulars and amazing half circulars Akira is still better equipped? I understand that because he has no full circs his half circs are justified in their great properties. But the fact that your attack can always be evaded provide a frustrating game for Akira and requires more observing of the opponent's habits. Also, the guaranteed side throws can be mixed up with with say [2][K]+[G] (which would activate at a speedy 10f in this scenario) , where not even a side throw escape guard would win. It doesn't change the fact that you have a large enough advantage to pull off a astonishing array of mixups
    Yes, [2][6][8][4][P]+[G] gives a guaranteed down attack (Excluding vs Aoi's (Ground)[P]+[K]) making the total damage 70.
    What I'm suggesting is, [4][3][P] has the ability to shut down all except two options. Attacking with anything aside from a buffered [6][6][P] (could ruin a potential combo) or [2][P] (Could salvage some combo damage with a followup [2_][6][P][P]) will lose with a risky stagger tacked on from it being counter hit. In other words, use other offense options and the Akira player pays. Now if you want to defend at +1 then be my guest.

I would be grateful for an expert Brad's assistance :)

14. Terracrush

Terracrush Well-Known Member

I would to like to request the vs Jacky Matchup. I often get blowup by good Jackie's because of his mixups.

Craigbot likes this.
  15. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    I would like to help, but this question is far too vague to answer since Jacky can be played effectively in so many different ways. Is there any way you can specify which moves, attack patterns, tendencies, etc. you have the most problems with whenever facing him?

Kruza

16. Terracrush

Terracrush Well-Known Member

I feel that Tripsem has provided a good template on the VS cast overview. However in place of this I feel that it is at least important to hit up on key important aspects that makes Jacky , Jacky. I'll basically summarize this by referring to what fellow NY player Rodnutz mentioned on the NYVF Tuesday night stream a couple of weeks back. That left unchecked Jacky has the ability to cancels his moves which allow him to flow from mix-up to mix-up and at some point you will get hit and you Will get opened up, badly.

While I'm no Aoi expert having only played for a couple of months and mostly in the latest incarnation of VF, she seems to excel at poking and locking an enemy down with defensive techniques(sabakis, YY, and reversal). The YY in this case taking a more paramount fear-inducing aspect of shutting down the enemy's arsenal.

When fighting Jacky I feel that you have to respect his cancelling game which is right where he wants you to be...

In short is 2P the only option I have?

PS Those sweeps are a pain in the ass

17. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    So basically you're having the most trouble dealing with Jacky's various Slide Shuffle antics.

There is no real defined solution to this issue other than going over Jacky's move list and recognizing all of his attacks and strings which can lead into the SS stuff. Once you do that you'll be in better position to identify when it's coming once you carefully observe your opponent's attack patterns and tendencies. You should also show refrain from immediately attacking early in the match with the purpose of watching to see which particular attacks the Jacky player favors to use out of SS. Knowing this would help out with my next point.

It takes Jacky some time to dash forward to do any moves out of SS, so you have a chance to interrupt him with an attack and get a counter hit whenever you see him shuffle back into that stance -- even do a forward dash into an attack if necessary to reach him. Your speed and ability to react to what you see happening on screen has to be on point though.

- The high punch he has from SS is pretty quick, so you may not opt to interrupt if you know this is the move coming. Just duck this attack then promptly punish.

- Stay low to block the first kick (if in range) and duck the second kick of the low-high kick string out of SS, then punish accordingly. But wait... keep in mind that some seasoned Jacky players will shuffle back after intentionally whiffing the first kick from SS just to see how you react. In this case, just stand there and don't do a damn thing. However, be ready to make Jacky pay with big damage in the case he does that particular "taunt" over and over during a match. Also be cautious of veteran Jacky players who will intentionally whiff the first kick out of SS, then go back into SS and do another move.

- You'll have to remain high (standing) to block the two-punch combination Jacky has from SS. Be wary of how the Jacky player utilizes the second punch as it is delayable. Seasoned Jacky players will cleverly mix in first punch > slight delay > throw after you block the first punch. So be on the lookout for that tactic. Successfully block both punches and you have a guaranteed throw situation.

- The step-in side kick along with the SS ducking moves like the crouch dash mid punch and the kickflip hit throw are relatively slower to execute and are thus best interrupted. But make sure to at least stand to block if you find that you're too late to interrupt either attack. Same deal with the full circular spin kick out of SS being slower to execute, it may be a better idea to wait, duck then punish that attack as opposed to trying to interrupt with a counter hit.

A Jacky player will badger you repeatedly with SS madness if you don't ever make him pay big for doing it over and over, and doing 2P will not be enough to convince that player to stop. In fact you'll set yourself up to get hit by something big if that Jacky player notices you continuously go into 2P mode as a quick-reflex response to the back shuffle. Whenever you have the opportunity to hit Jacky as he shuffles back you hit him, and hit him hard.

And as for the sweep... you'll obviously have to be cautious of this move whenever you're low on life. But don't allow it to bother you to the point where you're concerned about guarding low and forgetting about the numerous heavily-damaging mid attacks he can hit you with at any given moment. If you're able to stay upright to watch out for the hard-hitting mids and also defend low against the sweep when it comes then that's great. But the main thing about the sweep is to not let it counter hit you for extra damage and a knock down. Don't forget that it's you who has the advantage after absorbing Jacky's normal hit sweep despite the fact that it takes some damage.

Kruza

Genesis likes this.
  18. Tiripsem

I'm not dead! Can you believe it? This one may be a little messy. Sorry for the extremely long hiatus so I'll get right into it.

The usual... study it till it becomes second nature!

[P], [6][P], [2][P] are your fundamental poking and set up tools, learn them inside out along with their applications and this alone can take you far.
    • [P] beats [6][P]
    • [2][P] beats [P]
    • [6][P] beats [2][P] at small (+2) advantage.
    *Not every cast member uses [6][P]as an elbow (Ex. Lei Fei, Vanessa, Wolf)

Knowing the basic nittaku guessing game is important too. It all boils down to should you guard or attack. Of course, Virtua Fighter is much more deeper than that once you delve into throw escapes, evades, TEG, etc.
    • Strikes beats Throws
    • Guard beats Strikes
    • Throw beats Guard
    Aoi Umenokoji vs. Aoi Umenokoji
    [​IMG]
    Could there be any better display of grace and defense? As they dance gracefully in a clash of techniques, who will come out on top? Aoi is the only character in Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown to have a definitive and resolute answers to any offense and defense alike. What she lacks in damage she quickly makes up for with an iron clad defense and speed. Beyond the small frame and sweet smile lies a formidable wall of defense and bone obliterating offence.

First, defensive techniques. As previously mentioned, Aoi has an answer to any move you decide to use. Generally there are her reversals, [4][P]+[K] (High), [1][P]+[K] (Mid), [2][P]+[K] (Low), and (Face Up On Ground) [P]+[K]. These four will break the appropriate level attack regardless of its properties. You read correctly, double palms, and circulars included. Increasing complexity are her sabakis and parry ( [P]+[K]+[G] Tenchi In You). Her Tenchi Stance (also known as Ying Yang Stance) will parry all highs and mids that are NOT circular or double limbed property wise. Tenchi parries also ALWAYS have a follow up. [P][P][K] is the standard punish but there are more damaging options depending on the parried move. For example, a parried knee and some kicks can be punished with [3][3][P]+[K]. Yes, a launch, so knees and certain kicks may not be the most appealing option. Her sabakis, [2][3][6][P]+[K] (High & Mid Punches), [6][4][P] (High & Low Punches), and [4][K]+[G] (High & Mid Kicks), all follow the same rules as her Tenchi Stance, all but double limbed and full circular are reversed (An interesting exception to this rule specifically against Aoi is that her [4][P] high circular chop IS REVERSABLE either by Tenchi or [2][3][6][P]+[K]). With her [P]+[K] reversals alone, Aoi can respond to an opponents offense albeit risky. Adding these offensive sabakis make her considerably deadlier and can have opponents quaking in fear as their move list seems to grow ever shorter.

Overcoming Aoi's defenses are in no way simple or easy. It is what redeems her for having a low damage output compared to the cast. There still are ways around her defense of course, it just takes more effort. Against her [P]+[K] reversals, they are extremely vulnerable to throws. At times, you'll see certain Aoi players mash reversals in hopes that they'll reverse something. You can take a moment to chuckle as their Aoi cringes over and over again and proceed to throw them. Another slightly riskier method is to simply mix up your offense. Never attempt moves consecutively and flow charts can be a big no-no in some cases. Be spontaneous and keep the Aoi player guessing, you'll have them eating big Counter Hits all match long. In the case of her sabakis, her Tenchi Stance suffers the same weakness that her [P]+[K] reversals succumb to. However, skilled Aoi players can use the evade [8] or [2] while inputting the proper side escape to nullify any throw attempts. This is when you resort to full circulars (Sorry Akira, you're down to your double handed half circular in this situation) as Tenchi animations are lengthy and unless they quickly release the stance and guard, they will get hit for a counter hit. Her offensive sabakis are all safe but leave her at a fair disadvantage on block (6-7 frames) so you can attempt nitaku afterwards. Just as her Tenchi Stance, a riskier alternative would be to mix up attack levels and incorporate double limbed and circulars for counter hits.

Let's deal with this wall shall we? Ryoushi [4][3][P] will destroy Aoi's defenses, causing stagger upon hit and being at a mere -4 on block (best get to fuzzy guarding!). The opponent will only find safety in guarding or [1][P]+[K]. Aoi has the one of the best anti-offense & defense techniques in the game all in Ryoushi, even trumping Pai's [3][P]+[K] in properties and distance. She also has a double limb move in [4][6][P]+[K] although it is amongst her slowest moves, it makes for a great okizime move. Her circulars consist of the generic [K]+[G] and also the amazing [2][K]+[G], these only being stoppable by [P]+[K] reversals. Be warned! Although [4][P] is circular and [4][K]+[G] are classified as double limbed, they are STILL REVERSIBLE! Using lows and throws are also essential to your anti-defense strategy! Aoi only has one real low reversal and that's [2][P]+[K]. [6][4][P] requires there to be at least a -1 frame and be a low punch to activate. Any more than that will stop it in it's tracks. Therefore, at -2 and up, only [2][P]+[K] will stop [2][P]. With this in mind, remember to MIX IT UP! It is absolutely essential against any character but it goes 10x more against Aoi.

Aoi's offenses can be just as troublesome as her defense. Reading it makes it sound like Aoi is a broken character but in game is much different. They are troublesome due to the fact that they are well backed up with defensive techniques and as you read before, her defense is INSANE. Cancels into Sundome or transitions into Tenchi will have you at a loss. Panic sets in, you attack at the wrong moment or freeze up and you're hit with either a counter hit, throw, or attack recklessly into Tenchi getting you punished. The key to Sundome cancels is to strike fear into the Aoi player by interrupting. Most times Aoi experts are wise to this and transition in and out of Sundome and rarely resort to Tenchi. Often, a simple [2][P] can give you back the advantage you need to stop their onslaught (wisely of course). Aoi is able to Tenchi all Sundome options except Sundome into throws which can be avoided with Tenchi [6], countering her defensive offense with her own solid defense. If the Aoi player becomes privy to this strategy and begin to low reverse, you've effectively began using Aoi's main method of manipulation and can attack (with caution) with your usual repertoire of mids and highs. And don't forget, USE THOSE THROWS AND FULL CIRCULARS. They are among the very few things that Aoi barely has a consistent and safe response for. It is also important to note the extent of Aoi's throw game. She's a grappler character, confusing newcomers with her sheer number of throws and keeping experienced players on their toes with guessing games. Her throws are nothing to joke with, ranging a minimum of 60 damage in each direction (70 damage guaranteed with Kirie Otoshi ( [2][6][8][4][P]+[G]) of course unless your opponent's Aoi is wise enough to use (Ground)[P]+[K] to reverse the follow up down attack). Study her throws and learn which direction is which, lest you be condemned to an eternity of broken bones! Her recommended throw break direction is [4][P]+[G].

Now that you have a vague idea of how to pick apart the tank that is little ol' miko, Aoi Umenokoji, lets list some important notes both on attack & defense...

• Aoi does have some tricky and evasive moves in her move list. [1][P] is a half circular low that WILL knockdown on CH and allow a follow up combo on those who refuse to tech, highs will miss completely. [3][3][P]~[P]+[G] is a hit into hit throw move that is incredibly evasive. It will go under all highs and even some high animated mids if the distance is right! And this is not including it's range. [4][4][P]+[K] will avoid the heck out of short range moves allowing a seriously damaging combo. Most if not all can be countered with Aoi's [3][K] even hitting [4][4][P]+[K] for a backdash stagger! [3][P] is another faster and safer yet shorter range alternative if need be.
    • Use Aoi's ability of manipulation, lows and throws if reversals are becoming an issue. If the situation switches, you do the same. Switch to highs, mids, and more importantly reversal crush moves. A work around for her ground reversal are either her jump attack [8][P] or wait for her to get up, see her reversal animation, and launch while she recovers.
    • Her throws are a cornerstone of her game. Learn them well! THIS INCLUDES LOW THROWS! She has setups ( [3][P] CH and [G][9] While landing [P]) to FORCE a low throw on you. Learn em' break em'.
    • Destroy Tenchi spammers with throws. They break or evade the throws? Use circulars (mid circs for those characters who have them). Tenchi may seem overpowered at first, but the best of the best Aoi players know its true weakness and avoid using it often as it becomes a crutch after a certain point of relying on it.
    • Take advantage of Aoi's lightweight class! Aoi has some seriously damaging combos for lightweights that allow her to break free of her damage weakness. Ex. [3][3][P]+[K], [P], [P]+[K], [6_][P], [6][K][K]. That combo works even on NH.
    • Just as the above applies to the opponent's Aoi, it applies to yours. Watch for damage from launchers and [P][K] punish blocked ones.
    • As previously stated, overuse of Tenchi becomes a crutch but it doesn't render it unusable. It is still vital to her gameplay so learn it's options and also learn to use it safely! Practice the side throw escapes from Tenchi evade and also the evasive properties of Tenchi [6] and Tenchi [4]
    • Beware of push back moves like [6][6][P]! It can allow for some nasty setups through the use of evasive moves to deceive and punish whiffs.
    • Most of all, as it applies to all things Virtua Fighter, observe your opponent and weed out their habits. It is essential to a yomi heavy character like Aoi.
    • Tenchi from Kusanagi (Low sweep) can be troublesome as Aoi can avoid a throw out of Tenchi by pressing forward or even by simply delaying Tenchi. Guarantee a hit by using [3][3][P]~[P]+[G], elbow, or buffered launch if the opponent DOES NOT use Tenchi. Should they use Tenchi, revert to the throw/circular method. NOTE: Should Aoi use Tenchi [6], use a low throw or mid instead!
    Exploit vulnerabilities! Punish consistently, it's one less point of health to worry about!

Tenraitsui
    [6][K][P] -10 (Throw Punish only)

Oushu Hiji'ate
    [6][P]+[K][P] -10 (Throw Punish only) *NOTE: Allows Sundome Cancel*

Sodeshinken
    [3][3][P]+[K] -13 ( [P][K] Punish or Throw) *NOTE: Allows Sundome Cancel*

Ryusensoushou
    [3] or [9][P]+[K][P] -13 ( [P][K] Punish or Throw) *NOTE: Allows Sundome Cancel*

Rentotsu Kodachi
    [P][P][P][K] -13 ( [P][K] Punish or Throw) *NOTE: Can transition into Tenchi In You*

Rentotsu Kinguruma
    [P][P][6][P][P] -13 ( [P][K] Punish or Throw) *NOTE: Allows Sundome Cancel*

Rentotsu Ryusensoushou
    [P][P][8] or [2][P][P] -13 ( [P][K] Punish or Throw) *NOTE: Allows Sundome Cancel*

Sou'unha
    [6][6][K] -13 ( [P][K] Punish or Throw)

Musouha
    [2_][3][P] -13 ( [P][K] Punish or Throw)

Jousei Ryusenshou
    [4][4][P]+[K] -13 ( [P][K] Punish or Throw) *NOTE: Allows Sundome Cancel*

Kasumigeri
    [2][K] -14 ( [P][K] Punish or Throw)

Iwadome
    [6][4][P]+[K][P] -15 ( [P][K] Punish or Throw) *NOTE: Allows Sundome Cancel*

Gedan Keri'ate
    [1][K] -15 ( [P][K] Punish or Throw)

Kumogeri
    [6][K][K] -16 ( [P][K] Punish or Throw)

Kusanagi
    [2][K]+[G] -18 ( [3][3][P] Hit throw, otherwise Elbow Punish/Launch, Throw, Low Throw *Refer to last note above) *NOTE: Can transition into Tenchi In You*

Rentotsu Kusanagi
    [P][P][P][2][K] -18 ( [3][3][P] Hit throw, otherwise Elbow Punish/Launch, Throw, Low Throw *Refer to last note above) *NOTE: Can transition into Tenchi In You*

If you improve against Aoi or are helped in anyway, let me know! And gomen for the scatterbrained-ness :oops:, will edit the crud out of this soon. There was a boatload of stuff I wanted to include about Aoi but it is better reserved for a Move Breakdown/Analysis thread.

My best regards to you!
    ~Aoi Umenokoji

*Image belongs to Daimon Tribe, http://www.behance.net/gallery/Aoi-Umenokouji/7289377 <= Appreciate his awesomeness!*

Aoi_Pai, steelbaz, Genesis and 2 others like this.
  19. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    Nice write up, Tiripsem. Well done!

Kruza

20. steelbaz

steelbaz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Raze--
    XBL:
    spliffy baz