1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Aoi's throw combo's...

Discussion in 'Aoi' started by GaijinPunch, Jul 9, 2002.

1. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

I now consider Aoi my strongest character, although Lion is in a close second. However, I feel her sweetest looking moves are the most worthless.

I'm of course talking about the throw combos:
    [4][1][2][3][6][P]+[G][6][2][P]+[G][2][8][P]+[G]
    First of all, I find the timing restriction a bit too strict. There are more than a few times I don't pull them off. And the times I do, my opponent almost always gets out of them. I know for the 2nd part of the throw, the opponent uses either [4][P]+[G] or [6][P]+[G] and for the last, either [8][P]+[G] or [2][P]+[G] -- can they buffer both in? If so, it's not much of a gamble is it? And only works against noobs.

The 2nd, is the [8][4][2][6][P]+[G][4][1][2][3][6][K]+[G]. Again, I find the timing a big strict, although I don't believe the 2nd part is escapable.

Are these a big part of anyone's game when playing against a human opponent?

2. death_raven

death_raven Well-Known Member

well timings in these moves are pretty strict gaijin anyway what i do with [4][1][2][3][6][P]+[G],[4][2][P]+[G][8][2][P]+[G] (coz i have a 95% chance everytime the move is done) is pretty much doing them continously or kind of that way coz i dont remember pausing while doing these moves, about buffering those excapes wouldn't that be considered a multiple throw escape, if so then they would definitely have a good/great chance to escape, for [8][4][2][6][P]+[G],[4][1][2][3][6][K]+[G] i wait the same time Aoi has made the opponent face the floor, (coz if i recall she grabs then throw which causes the opponent to flip then twist the arm then make them face the floor) as for escape from this throw thy've escaped me when i'm just about to grab, but if the opponent has fallen to [8][4][2][6][P]+[G] then no one has escaped it yet, not really sure if it is unescapable

3. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

There's no timing required for the Multi throws as long as you don't enter it too late. Basically, once you see your HCF/HCB+PG connect just follow through the rest command without pausing. You have plenty of time also, so just concentrate on hitting the directions accurately. Once you get it down, you can pretty much do it with your eyes close.
    In term of damage, HCB+PG > b,u+pg does a respectable 65 damage. Against someone who knows how to escape mutli (very easy to do just hold d and mash pgpgpgpgpg). Keep on doing b,u+pg until he starts to escape that then try to tag him with a d,b+pg and whatever. If he refuse to escape U, it's a free 65 point for you. I think it is impossible to escape u and d at the same time also.
    On to the 270+pg > HCB+kg throw, it's basically the same case as above, no timing requirement as long as you don't do it too late. If all fails, just repeatly enter hcf+kg quickly once the 270 connects, you'll soon be able to do this with your eyes close too. and it's not escapeable also.
    I'm sure you already know this: Aoi's strongest throws ends in f or b. She has d/f and d/b for ring out or guaranteed damage situations. Therefore if you are consistent with your multi throws and 270's, Aoi will have more chances dealing 60 points throws as to her 50's.

4. GaijinPunch

Thanks, although I'd say "entering the commands too late" qualifies as timing. :) I guess there's always the chance of mis-commands. I only use the full 3-part combo on newbies, as anyone half decent always escapes it. The 270 sometimes turns into aforementioned combo, when I don't start from straight up, on accident.

5. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

Really? I thought that it was what death_raven said, i.e., you have to delay a bit. When I was first learning the 3 dan throws, I was never able to get the 2nd part out at first. But then I started to time it so that the 2nd dan input is done at the same time Aoi hits the floor from the 1st dan. With this timing, I got it out every time. The timing of the 3 dan seems to be a lot easier than the 2nd dan. Perhaps it's just all in my scrubby mind.

6. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

<font color="ccff33"> thx for your excellent Aoi primer. In my limited experience the multi-throw has been reserved for nobs and mashers that rudely interupt a player battling Doral or a n00b that repeatedly challenges an accomplished player and proceeds to mash a bit faster each challenge as though the speed with which they smash the buttons will aid them in defeating the serious player of the game. /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif One of the first things Andy So taught me and Adam Yuki coached me on was escaping the brutal Aoi multi-throws. They both used to watch in horror as the crunching bones sequence was repeatedly applied to my n00b character. ...course we are going back four years... hope you can make to NYC soon for VF4 battle extraordinaire. </font color> <font color="red"> /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

7. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I don't have problems using either of the throws you mentioned. Generally, I punch in the full combinations immediately.

I personally think they're a great part of Aoi's arsenal, simply because her throw mixup game is generally good (5 directions including neutral).

I personally wouldn't say they were worthless unless all the opponent tries to do is escape [4] and [6] throws and never switches to other directions no matter what you do.

Another tip for nailing the throws is buffering them, though that's not all that necessary.

-Chanchai

8. SoundWave

SoundWave Well-Known Member

ya they definitly aren't useless cuz you can mix them up like crazy, instead of doing the 3rd dan throw do the different second one, [6],[8]+[P]+[G] you can't do the 3rd after this but it confuses your enemy and mixes things up, with her amount of throws you dont need to concentrate on the mutli-part ones, they're just there for when your opponent starts escaping your others.

9. GaijinPunch

Note that this thread was started before Evo - at that time, you could buffer both escapes and get out. In Evo, it's 50/50, making the throw combo much more attractive.

10. SoundWave

SoundWave Well-Known Member

you can buffer both escapes in VF4! for the second dan throw? what is the time frame for that? I dont have much practice with people reversing my throws, my friends dont catch onto that much, only sometimes with basic throws.

11. GaijinPunch

Yes. in VerC, there were no 50/50 throw escapes. In other words, if you were quick enough, you could buffer them all in.

After the [4][1][2][3][6][P]+[G]
    [6][8][P]+[G] or [4][8][P]+[G] are escaped with [8][P]+[G]
    [6][2][P]+[G] or [4][2][P]+[G] are escaped with [2][P]+[G]

For the 2nd part, as before
    [8][2][P]+[G] is escaped with [2][P]+[G]
    [2][8][P]+[G] is escaped with [8][P]+[G]

the escapes still work the same, but when you put one in, thats' it - you only get one. I generally do
    [4][1][2][3][6][P]+[G][6][8][P]+[G] b/c it offers less damage, but is escaped less. Natural instinct tells you to go down, since it's longer, and more painful.

On a side note though, ground throws were NOT escapable at all in VerC.

12. hikarutilmitt

hikarutilmitt Well-Known Member

Pretty much, yeah. It does seem difficult to escape both of the throw commands in each successive step of the throws, but it IS possible. I'm glad they changed it in evo, though, because that made both of those throws essentially useless against escape-happy players. Though, after the [4][1][2][3][6][P]+[G], [6][2][P]+[G], [2][8][P]+[G] you can actually get a ground throw in 100% of the time if you know which side to do the move on (quite the opposite of what one guy on GameFAQs was trying to tell me). The screen has to rotate back to the "normal" camera view after this throw and so you have until it finishes doing so to get the ground throw in.

I've personally never had any problems getting the rest of the throw chains in. I just put in whatever I wanted to use as soon as I see that I've successfully grabbed them and hope they don't escape it.