1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Arcade stick techniques

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by b4k4, Apr 8, 2002.

1. b4k4

b4k4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SoundReason
    This might sound a little stupid to some of the more hardcore VF players out there, but here it goes:

What I was wondering was: is there a proper way to use an arcade stick? Is there any technique you're supposed to use? I suppose it's really a matter of preference, and somewhat hard to explain, but any input at all on this matter would be appreciated.

I'm not new to arcade fighting games by any measure, but then I've never gotten to serious about any one game either. I want to truly master (or at least come as close as I can to mastering) VF4.

(BTW: I'm interested in getting as much input on this as I can. Maybe the things one person suggests won't work, but I'm sure with a few sources to draw on, it'll help a lot. So if you feel you have anything to contribute, please do.)

Thanks.

2. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

I guess it's somewhat like what you said; a matter of preference. But other things I would think of regard the kind of stick you use.

I use the JPN ball stick type, and that's the one I can play with comfortably. I suck horribly if I use the US styled one for example, but I've seen players do their best with the other stick...

If you are asking about the best way to hold the stick, then this is also a matter of preference... But I can tell you how I hold it anyways...

This is the default position of my hand: My left thumb 'touches' the stick in what is considered the down/right diagonal direction. That means that, while the stick is neutral, my left thumb's position relative to the stick is south-east (Or down-right). My pointer and middle go up behind the 'sphere' in the upward direction (or north), with the middle being below the pointer, and both of their tips holding the ball. These are the fingers that I use for the movement in all directions, and it just flows naturally after that. Also, the ring finger is positioned kinda below the ball in the down direction, but it barely touches the ball.... /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

You should test several methods and see which one fits the best for you. I've read a post here for example suggesting a method where you use the thumb for backwards, and the pointer for forwards, and both can complement each other naturally in the movement of course.

3. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

It's all preference. Teh Virtua Fighter stick is an exact replica of the JPN Arcade version, so that's what most people here prefer. Feels just like the arcade. Now, the way you hold the stick, is of course, up to you.

4. BakuBaku

BakuBaku Well-Known Member

Oh! Playing with Ball Stick is soo much easier to move around. I wish more US arcades used them.

5. b4k4

b4k4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SoundReason
    Yeah, I've bought myself an arcade stick, and it's the Japanese "Ball style" stick. I just want to know different peoples opinions on how to use the stick as effectively as possible. I also agree that the ball style sticks are better than the North-American "Tear-drop" standard.

6. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Although I much prefer a Japanese-style stick, I still hold it like an American one (so that when I hit the uf direction, it looks like I'm doing Lau's upknife). It's easier for me to hit, say, an SDE, but I'd probably have a lot of trouble with 270 throws... that is, if I used them. /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif