1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Arcade stick

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by Rayne, May 25, 2021.

1. b4k4

b4k4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SoundReason
    My bad. You named a few older sticks so I figured you are at least half planning to swap in your own board. I'm not sure what system you're planning to use them with, or if you'd be trying to get converters. It seemed like some minor mods would be necessary for a few of those options.

JackymusPrime likes this.
  2. JackymusPrime

JackymusPrime Active Member

All good. I use a brooks converter on my ps4 to play my ps1 pad, no issues. So im looking for a ps1/ps2 sticks.

3. JackymusPrime

4. b4k4

b4k4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SoundReason
    I'm always wary of sticks where the buttons are soldered straight to the PCB because they're basically impossible to repair once the buttons/switches go.

That said, getting ones with better wiring ups the price a fair deal, so if you're looking for a cheaper old stick then it's probably fine. Just a pitfall to watch out for. I had a Hori Soul Calibur 2 stick back in the day that was basically a brick once the buttons started going.

5. JackymusPrime

Youre right, thats allot. IF I did get the stick, I would have someone to do all that (hopefully) for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QbED_XF5Ko
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LzCAu5mC24

6. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    If the game have legacy controller support (PS3 joystick use on the PS4), is there a good reason to still invest in a "new" PS4 stick? Such as issues of legacy joysticks input not being read correctly or what else.

Looking at my pile of PS3/360 joysticks and would not like to invest into a new stick if possible :D

7. b4k4

b4k4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SoundReason
    PS3 backwards compatibility can be dicey for tournaments. SCVI has it but if neither player has a current gen controller (e.g. two PS3 sticks) then it wouldn't work, IIRC. It's fine for locals, home play, and casuals, but it could be an issue at events. This is just based on my experience with similar games.

akai likes this.
  8. JackymusPrime

Yoooooooo!

I heard some ps3 stick horror stories playing on other systems. Hori 3 sticks are hit and miss on PS4

akai likes this.
  9. JackymusPrime

10. b4k4

b4k4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SoundReason
    The Qanba Carbon isn't natively PS4 compatible, but the Qanba Drone is:

https://qanbausa.com/drone/

I've used many Qanbas in the past (borrowed at events etc.). They've always been fine. See if you can find a Qanba Drone at a good price - might be a good option, only about $20 over your current budget, and much cheaper than the high end stuff.

11. JackymusPrime

I have a seller in JApan that wants to sell me a $50 Konami Hyperstick plus $25 shipping and I dont think thats the route now. Going to read up on the Qanba.

12. White_Worm

White_Worm Well-Known Member

I'm almost certain that stick is a rebranded Qanba Obsidian. Looks exactly like the one I had. You can even get clear plexi from Focus Attack and insert your own VF artwork.

JackymusPrime and Junosynth like this.
  13. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    I saw this video for a $50 mod of a PS3 stick for use on PS4/PS5.

https://youtu.be/ClieCUoSlG8

Any recommendations for modifying a PS3 arcade stick for PS4?

14. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

FWIW I went for a Hori RAP4. Tried it out a few times in the past couple of days and seems like a decent enough stick. It's got a square gate. In my VF prime I used a £40 stick and didn't have any problems with it, it's just got to feel right for you.

JackymusPrime, ChiefGutti and akai like this.
  15. JackymusPrime

Has anyone tried their ps3 stick to play VF5 on PS4?? Hopefully they installed that driver that has the game recognize legacy sticks?

16. JackymusPrime

Are you in STL or is it your nephew that still logs on your PS3!!!?

17. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    I'm still in STL, sometimes its me or my family that logs onto PS3 with my account, but I don't think they play online.

masterpo likes this.
  18. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    So will we see your PAI any time soon:)

19. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Going off topic...maybe once a week or two maybe...

masterpo likes this.
  20. JackymusPrime

I agree which is why im cautious in buying a 200+ dollar stick and it wont feel right. I played VF4 Evo on an PLAYSTATION PS1 PSX ASCIIWARE FIGHT STICK Joystick and it felt great.