1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Arcadia 124 VF5FS System notes

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by noodalls, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    You're right, it doesn't matter what the advantage/disadvantage is, you will always be able to abare against a throw attempt.

I think the emphasis is just for comparison to the previous versions where throw clash would have provided some protection against abare during very large advantages. But now in FS, this protection is gone.

2. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

I see, thanks for the explaination.
    I might evade in advantage to seek safe~~

3. Chill

Chill +40 DP Content Manager Shun Gold Supporter

PSN:
    Chill58
    XBL:
    Chill PKG
    Awesome, great work noodalls!

The change to the evade system seems like a step in the right direction. While the changes in VF5 gave advantage and crumbles in side-turned situations, I felt the evade system didn't evolve with this - It felt a bit random at times as to whether evading would actually position you at the opponent's side, particularly if your opponent is poking with short range attacks like [P]s and elbows. It will be interesting to see if this results in evading being a stronger defense against poking play.

The sidekick stumble/stagger against back-dashers is another good change I think. Sidekick is the obvious choice across all characters to stop an opponent that you think will backdash, due to the long range. However most sidekicks leave the opponent at only an even situation on a normal hit, so there were a lot of better options to try and punish a backdash. I think this will now give the appropriate reward if you guess your opponent will dash away.

4. MAtteoJHDY

MAtteoJHDY Well-Known Member

Did the original post say the they took away the ability to backdash into crouchdash/back-crouchdash?

if so, does that make a big difference?

5. SUGATA

SUGATA Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SUGATA_RUS
    Hi, Thank you for translation!

But, my suggestion about VF5FS is "Welcome to Tekken":
    - Throw escape system is similar to Tekken now.
    - Much more Juggle combo elements.
    - Movement system (Defensive movement) is more similar to Tekken.
    - New breaking wall system (breaks after a KO opponent to the wall) is awfull, i think; The best breaking wall system was in VF4 (were special breaking wall moves, that breaks a loacal PARt of the wall IMMEDIATLY.

And:
    What about an Offensive movement, is this gone?!
    Simplify again?

Offensive movement in VF5R:
    - Offensive: was an OFFENSIVE set-up for Side combos.
    - Defensive: evade slow strikes and even throws when i was out of throw's range/hitzone.

Defensive movement in VF5R:
    - Defensive: the main DEFENSIVE option (not an offensive set-up)especially against fast strikes.
    - Offensive: not very much offensive reward.

So, in VF5R were 2 movements, each with its own Pros/Cons, => more deepness.

What we see now in VF5FS:
    - 2-in-1 movement: less deepness and less diversity of the game, more casuality for more money! Sega's patiense snapped, and Tekken must trembling now?! ... so VF5FS is doomed to be released on consoles!
    P.S. it is only from my personal point of view.

6. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

7. nobody

nobody Well-Known Member

OM is still in.
    Not sure why they made more catch throws escapable, though.

8. BlackDragon37

BlackDragon37 Well-Known Member

There goes Lei's evade mixups... [​IMG]

9. quash

quash Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SuperVernier
    XBL:
    GUILTY GAIJIN
    woah, good shit noodalls.

thanks a bunch for the translation man!

10. White_Worm

White_Worm Well-Known Member

Its like they've never even seen VF5 being played in America (or online)! [​IMG] I'd say it like this: "DMPK was very abused, so we took it out for the players who rely on it". And yes, I realize I rely on DMPK for some of my characters, so don't start with me.

But its great to see a full write-up on the system changes. The game is much easier to understand when I can study articles like this. Great job, noodalls! And it was written by my hero, Kurita!

11. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

A lot of those changes look like changes that would appeal to a console audience in one way or another... Just saying.

12. Mackfactor

Mackfactor Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Vf5sega
    2nd that..
    imagine no more complaining on xbox live on
    " offline i would have eteg that "

theres only 1 TE, so no more excuses online.
    ( :

13. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

It just looking more and more promising.

14. quash

quash Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SuperVernier
    XBL:
    GUILTY GAIJIN
    i don't mind throws becoming a commitment based 3-way mixup at all.

in fact, i think i may actually prefer it over the previous system entirely, which favored defense and made it harder to throw people even from "guaranteed" situations (hard to say for sure at this point, but we'll see).

i'm not sure if i like the idea of lowthrows being mapped to P+G though; that just sounds like a misinput waiting to happen.

15. tex

tex Well-Known Member

That is nice,BUT..........where is..... my PS3 copy? I want to play.

16. deadfrog

deadfrog Member

Thank you very much for the translation, noodalls!

17. Kazego

Kazego Active Member

Thanks for the translation! I'm liking this simplified change in throw-escape execution since me and my friends can't do ETEG consistently.

18. soakrates

soakrates Well-Known Member

Not many Tekken players reading this thread, I reckon.

T6 and T5 (and maybe more, wouldn't know since I don't play Tekken) allow you to break throws on sight by looking at which arm the opponent sticks out (left, right or both) and pressing the corresponding button. Unless this is a new feature in VF5:FS, I don't see the point in comparing the two systems.

19. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    The only similarity that I see between the throw escape systems of VF5FS and TK is that there are only 3 throw escape inputs possible.

VF5FS has [4][P][+][G], [6][P][+][G] or [5][P][+][G]
    TK has LP, RP, or LP+RP

There's no evidence in VF5FS to suggest that you can simply escape on sight/reaction. The fact that you can hold/store a throw escape while you're in a guarding pose may lead some people to think that a sudden throw escape was done on reaction, but in fact it wasn't.

20. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

Since now we only can do 1 TE, so how to deal with delay throw in FS?
    If I'm doing ETEG by [6] [P] [+] [G], should I hold the stick to direction 6 [6_] during my "entire evade animation" to avoid my opponent's delay [6] [P] [+] [G] throw and make sure lazy TEG works? What if my opponent use delay [4] [P] [+] [G] instead? Can I just simply move my stick from direction 6 to 4 [4_] without relesing [P] [+] [G] buttons?

Do I think too much? [​IMG] Or just fuck him with knee? [​IMG] But I need to worry about delay attack, isn't it? [​IMG]