1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Arcadia magazine's latest tier list

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by Reno, May 7, 2012.

1. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

Didn't buy the magazine so I don't know the reasoning for the ranks, but here they are...

S: Akira, Jacky, Taka, Lion
    A: Goh, Vanessa, Brad, Jean
    B: Shun, Wolf
    C: Lau, Aoi, Pai, Kage, Sarah, Blaze
    D: Eileen, Lei-Fei, Jeffry

Just from personal experience, in FS I've never met an Eileen, Lei or Jeffry player that I was intimidated by, but every other character I've always met at least a couple of players that were super good with them.

2. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    I fucking knew Jeffry was trash tier, it's so obvious. [​IMG]

3. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

Looks like the system mechanics hurt eileen really bad. I'll have to wait for judgement until I get my hands on the game though, I doubt I'll drop her.

4. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

Jeffry is a strong character, it's just that the system in FS doesn't suit him very well. Plus the loss of splash mountain is huuuuuge. [​IMG]

5. Kamais_Ookin

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    I disagree, I think Jeffry is strong in vanilla but not in FS when everyone does the same damage as him with ease. Clearly, the FS system and Jeffry don't mesh together.

Splash is irrelevant, would only add 5 more damage to his front throw.

His striking game has much to be desired compared to his glorious days in R, I'm sure you faced that first hand.

6. Alstein

Alstein Well-Known Member

The real question: is the difference between the top and bottom tiers greater, less, or about the same as vanilla?

The opening comment makes it sound like it's greater.

7. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Hey Reno

Do you know why Lau dropped so far in the tier list?,unless It's my imagination I thought he was one of the top characters when FS first came out.

8. adverse

adverse Active Member

Am I wrong that the Eileen ranking here clashes with the chart below posted by Akai here?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Or am I reading this chart wrong?

9. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I don't think things are as far apart as they seem based on the letters. In terms of tools Eileen is definately closer to the top than Lion or Sarah is in Vanilla. Crappiest thing about her is that her [K]+[G] leaves her backturned which seems like a horrible place to be on block in the FS system.

10. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Thanks for the info Reno [​IMG]

Not sure how the difference compares to Vanilla but as far as FS goes I don't think the difference between the tiers is much at all.

Some of the lower tiered characters in this list have some great tools from what i've seen, especially Kage, Lau, Sarah.

Also, judging from akai's tournament result charts some the higher ranking characters like Jean, Vanessa and Wolf don't appear to be doing as well as the lower tiered characters.

11. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Sounds about right.

I was originally gonna post something like this in the Jeffry 101 thread, but seeing this confirmed my suspicions.

I wouldn't say trash, you just need to be a better player and work harder. I play a little of Akira, Aoi, Brad, Goh, Kage, Pai, Sarah, Taka, Vanessa, and Wolf (and play against lots of Jacky, Jean, and Lion players, and learned a little of Shun). I feel they all generally have better tools at their disposal.

Granted he could use a few of these things (one or two to be fair):
    1. A better 14-15 frame punisher. [4][K][P], while decent near a wall, is a too weak. Something like OS Vanessa/Brad's [6][P]+[K] would be awesome.
    2. A low. As an offensive tool to be used a lot ([2][K]+[G] is good vs wakeup), he only has [1][K] Yeah, [1][P][P] is okay, but other characters have access to lows that also duck under highs instantly, but they also get a decent combo.
    3. Throw damage up by a little more (70 front). His [4][P]+[G] is good as is. Maybe up his low throws as well.
    4. An anti-low tool. (akin to Brad/Wolf/Lau [9][P]+[K]) Jump attacks aren't good, and just blocking is bleh. His [9][P]+[K][P] from R was excellent.
    5. Damage up in general or speed up really slow attacks. Yeah, Jeffry can do half+ damage on some combos, and almost every time you get a wall combo... this is not unique. And the biggest damage combos are dependent on [4][1][2][3][6][P]+[K] on COUNTER HIT. Yeah, it's a launcher that's double limbed, long ranged, mid... but 30 frames. It's really hard to land a move like that against a worthy opponent.
    6. Make his elbow better. -1 on hit, and 4 on counter is really bad. While [2][P]+[K] is a really good alternative, still.
    7. Better/faster/more (mid) half-circulars or more/better tools to make an opponent side-turned. OR make [​IMG][3][P][P] unduckable (lol).
    8. Make [4][P]+[K] 16 frames or make all jabs 12 frames.
    9. Make camera of [4][P]+[G] more consistent.
    10. Make [3][P][P] like Taka's [4][P]+[K][P]... this alone could make a huuuuge difference.
    11. Either make [1][P]+[K] faster, or give Jeffry a catch throw with the range of his old Threat [P]+[G].

Jeffry has a lot of holes, but he is not Lei-Fei (lol). And he isn't too bad, maybe it is because I'm biased, but he feels the most comfortable.

You just need to play better. (and if you need to win, pick Taka... no joke)

12. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    You can interpret it in many ways. You can definitively say the Eileen players participating in the daily Sega official tournaments are doing much better than what the Arcadia Tier List would suggest [​IMG]. Take everything--tier lists and the ranking charts I made--with a grain of salt :p

13. soakrates

soakrates Well-Known Member

So do you disagree with the tier list that Lei Fei is higher than Jeffry? I'm still going to use Lei regardless, I'm just curious is all.

Nevertheless, it's good to see that even bottom tier characters can make it far in tournaments, based on the charts that akai posted. However, I notice a lot of them getting as far as semis, but far fewer moving on to finals and/or winning. Maybe these characters have poor match-ups against the upper tiers?

Either way, it's not so disheartening that any of the characters seem "bad," just "not good enough." Then again, I only think a character is "bad" when they have virtually no hope of winning at a high level, so take that as you will.

14. Kamais_Ookin

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    Thanks Sebo and I agree with your points. Taka IS my secondary character so I will use him sometimes. However, I used Jeffry in VF4EVO and so I have no reason not to use him in this game, I have to work harder then some other characters but so be it. Come at me brah! [​IMG]

15. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

It's not much different to compare the rest of casts who don't belong to S or SS rank.

16. steelbaz

steelbaz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Raze--
    XBL:
    spliffy baz
    Sucks Sarah is low tiered again, oh well though...

17. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

As a Taka player, Sarah is one of the hardest characters to fight against for me. I always have trouble against Sarah and Jacky because they get crazy damage on Taka.

18. steelbaz

steelbaz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Raze--
    XBL:
    spliffy baz
    Well that's good to know, at least she has some upside then [​IMG]

19. jinxhand

jinxhand Well-Known Member

It's up to us to make him look strong again...

For real though, Jeffry without Splash Mountain, Sega was setting him up for failure straight up...

20. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

I gotta strange feeling Jeffry is better than this.. the tiers is on based on usages after all right? Cause im quite sure this Guy is still freaking beastly being that he has more options to combo off of.. Stop complaining and just put time into him.. The vids i see still proves this guy is a powerhouse.