1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Arcadia magazine's latest tier list

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by Reno, May 7, 2012.

1. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

I agree 100%

2. SanFran_MAN

SanFran_MAN Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Tsumaki_Kid
    XBL:
    Tsumaki Kid
    Hmm I really didn't think a lot of people played Goh when I started playing FS I usually see a lot of Kage, Akira, El Blaze, and Pai players. Even though Goh is sort of a tricky character to learn.

3. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Easier than El Blaze, Kage and Pai in this game imo. If you know the system, you can play Goh. There is nothing complicated about the character.

4. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    I definitely feel that I have to work harder for damage with Blaze and when I do go for a combo starter or a mixup I'm putting my neck out more or less every time.

5. MDSPrime

MDSPrime Grappler & Part time Ninja

XBL:
    Pilchard LoveR
    I think Vanessa should be in S-tier & Goh should be in B-tier,
    Kage and Aoi should also be a little higher but that aside it looks like a fair list.

6. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    OK, but why do you feel those changes should be made? Let's keep the discussion going.

7. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    Haven't played enough strong players to be sure, but this list seems about right. Jacky and Akira have some very strong basic options that stick out above the rest of the cast, while the bottom three seem to have some difficulty making the system work for them.

At the moment I disagree with people saying this VF is too imbalanced. Every character has a lot of tools to work with and it seems to me that even the bottom tiers are very much able to create situations where they can shine. Just maybe not as easy as the top tiers.

I was a bit disappointed with the game at first, it seemed to lack the subtlety and constant intensity that vanilla had. Right now I'm really digging it, though. There's a lot of room for creativity and the subtlety and intensity are still there. It's not the same as vanilla, but after 5 years, it's time for something new, something fresh [​IMG]

8. Alstein

Alstein Well-Known Member

I'd rather deal with FS's imbalance then the imbalance in a 2d fighter.

9. seyu

seyu Well-Known Member

PSN:
    volX
    That really does look like its spread out a little to thin. I liked the first arcadia list better than this one.

We've seen every character at SBO this year, so you could take that as a sign, that every character is at least tournament viable. Barabarikun even won the finals with his team, he plays Lei. Other "low" tiers got into semis and finals, too.

While in other (2D)-games, low tiers cant even hope to get their entrance fee back. I remember a Gen player named Amiyu beating Daigo and his Yun in an online match and people went nuts, cause its so unusual that one good player with a lower tier character wins against another with a high tier character.

I think its because of this: In every fighting game all characters have access to the fundamental attack and defense mechanics. Everyone has lows, mids/overheads, throws, backdashes and so on. But in SF, KOF or GG you can hardly win a game with just those things, this applies to some games more than to others, but in VF5 youre absolutely fine with a mid, a throw a 5P and your throws + movement.
    In SF and co. (please forgive the generalisation) however you need to know setups like unblockables, crossups, safejumps etc. without which you cant hope to win anything big.

So I think in the end it boils down to the basic stuff of a fighter and since VF has pretty solid basic mechanics that are hardly abusable.
    THe tier list should be a little tighter btw. Caus of a lot of stuff, but I talked enough already. Id like to see what others think about this and if im completely off [​IMG]

10. MDSPrime

MDSPrime Grappler & Part time Ninja

XBL:
    Pilchard LoveR
    I guess to me the list is spread out too much, like the guy above said
    It makes sense for games like AE/Marvel etc. but I think in VF the list should probably only go from SS to C, I don't think any character should be considered as a D or E, certainly not Kage anyway lol

11. Neonomide

Neonomide Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Neonomide
    It's that battle of wits guys. Basic system ensures that even low tierers stand a fighting chance. Another thing is less used chars can totally mindfuck jedi-tier guys that have limited exp against those chars. VF has for me always been about mindfcuk above else and thats perhaps the reason why it "just works". I stopped playing Tekken because of excess BS, VF does have its bs but it has no caps and almost always can be dealt with.

Which brings me a curious question - why so little specific matchup conversation in VF in general? That would be really much more beneficial than tier chatting, which has been done to death (and is not particularly interesting).

One thing for tiers though. Shun can be a 0 dp puppy or 16+ dp alpha dog in a same match. How can Shun's "tier" be set in a stone (figuratively) at all and who does that turn on?

12. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Here's one. Lion's sobering moves are so in line with what he would normally use or would only sacrifice a tiny drop of damage to go for that his matchup with Shun benefits so much from it.

I do feel that Shun has the challenge of having to play a low drink game against Lion most of the time because of this.

On top of that, the two are both very interesting in their unique ranges and evasiveness.

Lion vs. Shun is always really fun for me ^_^ Always has been. But it does feel a bit overwhelming against Shun that a lot of my bread and butter stuff will sober him already and give me positional benefits (except for the fact that Shun is amazing at ringing people out, and Lion is already really good at that, but Shun is something else).

That said, I think the matchup conversations happen in small pockets in the Dojo Area ^_^ But the most common place for matchup discussion that I've seen is Shout Box (where people aren't as afraid to get something wrong here and there as opposed to the boards) and I'm guessing maybe IRC ^_^

13. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

The problem is if you post something wrong in a thread you'll never hear the end of it. If it's in the shoutbox you can pretend you always knew it the 1st time [​IMG].

14. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. That's why for a long time I kind of got really shy about posting (yes, the guy who writes novels on VFDC gets shy about posting sometimes).

But nowadays it's like "screw it, we need to talk VF" hehehe.

And honestly, for whatever reason, this aspect of the VFDC Community (knowledge elitism--real or imaginary), seems to have gotten better, reduced ^_^

Not saying the trolling has reduced, but the knowledge elitism seems to be a lot less than a few years ago.

15. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    In regards to the apparent elitism that goes on here: I haven't experienced it yet. I've been here for a while now and I don't see it. In fact, the guys that have been here longest and the guys that are best at the game are either all for helping new players or don't bother one way or the other.

The only people who seem to be acting like elitist cunts are the ones who are idiots and those phantom VF players that prowl the net spreading misinformation about the game.

16. Lucky_GT

Lucky_GT Well-Known Member

I know I'm quoting you again but I felt the need to mention that I think Jean does very well against Shun and I got BODIED by Kissa. : (

17. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

場刊 訪å•éšŠä¼
    å‹ã¡ãŸãŒã‚Š
    ジョセフ(アキラ)パイダーマン(ジャッキー)ãµãƒ¼ã©ï¼ˆã‚·ãƒ¥ãƒ³ï¼‰

場刊注目隊ä¼

S+
    å‹ã¡ãŸãŒã‚Š
    ジョセフ(アキラ)パイダーマン(ジャッキー)ãµãƒ¼ã©ï¼ˆã‚·ãƒ¥ãƒ³ï¼‰

S
    超ãƒãƒ³ã‚¾ãƒ¼ãƒœãƒ¼ãƒŠã‚¹
    完全二択♪(ウルフ)ã¯ã‚“ãžãƒ¼ï¼ˆã‚«ã‚²ï¼‰ï¼“ケイスタ(シュン)

ラグ
    ã¤ã£ã•ã‚“(シュン)ã˜ã‚ƒãŒï¼ˆã‚´ã‚¦ï¼‰ã¡ã‚‡ãƒ¼ãŸã‚(ジャン)

A
    八百一
    æ¿æ©‹ã‚¶ãƒ³ã‚®ã‚¨ãƒ•ï¼ˆã‚·ãƒ¥ãƒ³ï¼‰ãƒ›ãƒ¼ãƒ ã‚­ãƒ©ï¼ˆã‚¢ã‚­ãƒ©ï¼‰å¤§é ˆã‚¢ã‚­ãƒ©ï¼ˆã‚¨ãƒ«ãƒ»ãƒ–レイズ)

長良å·å‹¢
    ã“ãžã†ï¼ˆã‚¿ã‚«ã‚¢ãƒ©ã‚·ï¼‰ã¨ã¾ã‚ŠãŠã‚“(リオン)ライオンã®å­ï¼ˆã‚¸ãƒ£ãƒƒã‚­ãƒ¼ï¼‰

場刊角色評價
    å¼· AKIRA JACKY LION
    é·¹åµ BRAD
    -------------------
    GOH ç´…æ¢ VANESSA
    SHUN WOLF
    ----------------
    SARAH LAU AOI
    Blaze KAGE PAI
    ----------------
    JEFFRY LEI-FEI
    æ„›ç³

I'm not sure is it about SBO? And there is another tier below. It seems like pretty much the same as Arcaidia.

18. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

lol at no eileen or Jean on your list dennis.

19. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

場刊角色評價
    å¼· AKIRA JACKY LION
    TAKA BRAD
    -------------------
    GOH JEAN VANESSA
    SHUN WOLF
    ----------------
    SARAH LAU AOI
    BLAZE KAGE PAI
    ----------------
    JEFFRY LEI-FEI
    EILEEN[/size]

High light for you Tricky! [​IMG]

20. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

That's where Brad and Goh should be, looks like Dennis found a real tier list.