1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Are Akira players respected?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Triple Lei, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Triple Lei

Triple Lei Well-Known Member

You know, I thought anyone who plays the character with the hardest moves in the game (AFAIK), and uses those moves regularly, should at least get some credit. But after reading some of these threads, I dunno... should I just save myself trouble and pick up Jacky?

2. LAU Abuser

LAU Abuser Well-Known Member

Pickup Jacky. He's easier and effective even for a new player.

3. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

I dunno... should I just save myself trouble and pick up Jacky?

Use anyone you want to. I like seeing a good, damaging Akira in action, but that's just me.

4. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

HAHHAHAAAHAHA! LOL! Play the game for yourself, not for other people dude.

5. LAU Abuser

There's no need for credit in using a particular character. Wat's great abt Akira? I'm amaze tat ppl like to see SPoD soooo much. Jeff's TKoD, Sarah's Flamingo multi kick throw, Lau's lift palm combo, Kage's TFT, namely are just as spectacular and does more damage. So dun just think that moves that require more technique are showy, btw, the above mentioned moves are just as hard to pull off and some are tougher than SPoD.

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

No respect for Akira.
    If SPoD and DLC were the -only- way he could take off 40% of your life,
    then he'd be ok... but they're not. Stupid combos like d/f+PK --> f,f+K,K ..or
    QCB+P, u, b,f,f+P+K ... or f,f,f+P --> b,f,f+P+K...too easy and 'powerderful'.
    =)

Don't be afraid to try him anyway though. Who gives a crap about respect? Winning players are respected too. Even with Akira being easy to use, generally the better player will the the one who wins more, even in Akira vs. poor-little-pai matchups.

One last thing... someone already said it. If you are new, Jacky really is much easier to pick up.

7. LAU Abuser

Creed, maybe its bcos he found that after puttin sooo much effort in Akira he still lose.

Triple lei, if u want ppl to respect your Akira, win your opponent by technique instead of showy moves. Playing wif style (showyness) is a stage after your Akira is effective. You can beat your oppo by punches, easy throws and air combos. Pull back on showy stuffs and you'll be winning.

8. Triple Lei

Triple Lei Well-Known Member

Well shit, I meant Akira players in general. You people are putting all sorts of words in my mouth.

In tourneys (you people go to tourneys, right?), I'd imagine there would be a lot of Akira players, and... eh, nevermind.

9. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

I think its less character and more the players that are respected. I rather watch a really good player who uses Jacky, than an OK player who uses Akira.

10. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

Good Akira players are disliked but respected. His technical difficulty is negated as soon as someone gets used to playing him and everything flows smoothly. So you get to perform high damaging combos on a regular basis without seemingly much effort. Add a good defense with that ( blocking, rev, TE, evade ) and he gets annoying to play against. Same goes for Lau though imo. Akira doesnt have a low game but thats it, not much other weak spots. So people respect his ability to win but dislike his effectiveness when the technical aspects dissipate.

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

If respect is what you're looking for in VF, in terms of competition...the best way to get it is by winning. Lots. Dominate and rape. Either with Akira, Jacky, whomever, it doesn't matter.

12. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Akira players in general are not considered abusive scrubs, t.lei.
    If I had to guess which "general" character user gets the least respect, it's probably... I dunno. Lau? before VF4 I woulda said Kage, people had this idea that kage's just one TFToD and instant win for little effort. He's nothing like he was in VF3, so anyone who thought that before has to re-evaluate.

13. Torneko

Torneko Well-Known Member

Akira's moves are very easy, there is nothing hard about it.

If you like Jacky, go play Jacky. What ever you do, don't play waiting game, you'll be dislike that way.

14. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Summers posted about the qualifying for the <a target="_blank" href=http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=versus&Number=20991&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>Japanese National tournament.</a> Here's the list of how many players were using each character.

1) Jacky 125
    2) Akira 106
    3) Lau 95
    4) Kage 66 (GO KYASAO GO!!!)
    5) Wolf 60 (GO BBM GO!!!!)
    6) Shun 52
    7) Aoi 46(most popular chick!)
    8) Lion 42
    9) Jeff 39
    10) Vanessa 35
    11) Lei 26
    12) Sarah 24
    13) Pai 24

Very typical IMO, but I've seen more Akira/Wolf/Kage and much less Lau in the tournaments I've been to...

15. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

Jacky(jerky) is like paul of Tekken, fast and easy to learn and takes no really skill to play.

16. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

""""Jacky(jerky) is like paul of Tekken, fast and easy to learn and takes no really skill to play"""""

Strange that many of us year with YEARS of experience in VF series never considered Jacky as "takes no really skill to play" as u so stupidly put it.

17. Genie47

Genie47 Well-Known Member

A good Jacky at high level tournaments is not just skill. Like someone so puts it in his .sig, "I win from your mistakes".

18. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

Well that must be you then, I have played since VF1 and have always thought Jacky where for n00bs or for ppl. not knowing how to play VF and cant survive a match without doing f+p,k-u+p constantly.

19. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Sorry

If anything..I am known for not using 'f+p,k-u+p ' AT ALL in my matches.

Plus, I've played players from Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia.

Never once was I called ' cheap or boring or un-creative nooby gameplay'.

20. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

hmm.. I just never seen a non cheap Jacky player once.