1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Are Akira players respected?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Triple Lei, Feb 18, 2002.

1. BBC

BBC New Member

I've never seen Akria get disrespected. I think he is one of the deepest fighters in the game, and requires alot of practice to get get beyond the basic moves. I think the Jacky cheap comments come from the many Jacky fighters I have seen who never bothered to learn anything past 'f+p,k-u+p '. Like any figher, if you only do one combo you will be labeled cheap.

2. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

dont forget Sarah got this move as well, only with a mid hitting knee in the end/versus/images/icons/wink.gif

3. SeriousGround

SeriousGround Member

How is it cheap? Can it not be blocked by a simple press of just one button? AFAIK there isn't a single move in VF that could really be considered cheap or gay.

4. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Played with style Akira gets respect, of course, but you are a Tekken player, so I suggest that the reason you posted here is you find Akira as satisfying as sex with an unlubricated blow-up doll. Am I wrong 3x Lei?
    Lei is a practitioner of 5 star Chinese fighting arts which you will find a best fit in VF4 in characters like: Shun Di, Lion and Lau (imho). If you like LeiÂÂfs ÂÂgdancing with punchesÂÂh ( I do, I played several hours of Tekken Sunday and Lei was in the mix more often than notÂÂc) throw then try Shun for super animations of drunken dancing fists throw! Lau offers a credible Chinese style that also can be fun. LionÂÂfs seven star mantis though may be the final solution to your dilemma.
    I suggest a read of Kage FAQ for VF4 and Lion VF2 FAQ. Before you leave this site check out Lion dojo.

5. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

How is it cheap? Can it not be blocked by a simple press of just one button?

An attack can be blocked by pressing the guard button, but it goes a little further than that. For instance, Akira does a shoulder ram (Shrm). The shoulder is P-counterable, throw counterable, and that's about it. If the Shrm is blocked, the Akira player could cover himself by doing option select, maybe reversal-multi-throw escape (R-MTE) or escape-multithrow escape guard (E-MTEG). If Akira inputs db+P+K, x+P+G, x+P+G, he can escape two throws and reverse most mid attacks that you can counter with. If Akira does E-MTEG, he dodge most attacks outside of a punch, as well as escape throws. If the shrm hits, then Akira do any number of combos that take at least 65 pts damage (if I'm not mistaken). So for blocking a move that is so potentially damaging, your choices for countering that attack are slim and not as effective. In other words, your counterattack probably won't do at least 65 pts of damage.

So it's not about blocking an attack, it's about your choices for responding to an attack. Of course, that's just my two cents. Feel free to flame...

6. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

I perfer good wolf & jeffry players to anyone else really, but shadowdean is right... average akira players are not really looked into at all coz it seems most people have your thoughs on using him for being respected.

the real deal is i see too many similar akira's nowadays all gaging to pull off DLC combos and hoping for some credit, (even though his moves are'nt even hard, just joystick mashing) if you ask me, an underused character like jeffry or shun is gonna get more praise, especially if you're darn good!

skillful jackys are indeed feared, besides, i think you'd enjoy the training more without the wrist work-out...

7. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

This is why people need to realize that vf4 rewards offense much more than defense. Given the amount of defensive options, increased throwing range, OTG combos, the traditional block and counter mentality just won’t get you far. Take the SDE, blocked you get nothing; hit you’ll lose 30 to 44, MC you will lose at least 74, easily. Player who attacks automatically has advantage over player who defenses, that’s the game. And if you are still stuck in the old mindset of vf3 playing vf4, you will lose. Period.

8. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

"And if you are still stuck in the old mindset of vf3 playing vf4, you will lose. Period."

darn...no wonder...

9. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

average akira players are not really looked into at all coz it seems most people have your thoughs on using him for being respected.

Hunh??!! Could you explain that please?

10. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

> This is why people need to realize that vf4 rewards offense much more than defense.

well, it rewards option select greatly - that's the main thing which makes mC'ing in vf4 such a disgusting joke - and that is also defense.

11. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Im in agreement with Bungles here. Option select still is rediculously helpful. I think u.k.guy mentioned that while playing in Japan, at higher levels, vf4 is still about who has better defense. This was the case with vf3tb as well.

12. Freud

Freud Well-Known Member

From Bare Knuckle 93

maybe i'm not gifted in this game at all, but if i'm not completely without an aptitude for the joysticks, i believe that pulling off DLCs and SpoDs consistently requires some amount of practise, speed and precision which button mashers can never perform.

On a sidenote, ppl have to admit.. Akira, overpowered as he seems to some, is extremely entertaining to watch, especially when he pulls off his horrifying combos. I have brought quite a number of friends to vf4 machines, in a bid to convert them to Vf 4 fanatics(like us?? hmm), and almost all of them were awed by what Akira performed. In fact, they were so impressed that its "Either i play Akira or i do not play vf4 at all! "

Not to say that players of other characters do not impress at all, but Akira is one powerhouse of a tanker.

oh yah, not to be taken seriously, btw, anyone of you ever thought of why Akira is that powerful?? i have one theory here. Its simply that he is the "representative" of Japan, origin of Vf4.
    Remember Ryu, Ken from SF? Underlining moral behind this, Japanese martial arts is the best?

Peace! =p

13. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Which is, of course, why Guile dominated in SF2 /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

14. Kyo

Kyo Member

"Remember Ryu, Ken from SF? Underlining moral behind this, Japanese martial arts is the best? "

actually...Akira's style is Hayukuken (sp) and it's a Chinese Martial Art form...and not Japanese /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

15. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Personally, I think like Ryu the reason he's portrayed as number one is because he is Japanese.

16. Freud

Freud Well-Known Member

Thats the pt. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

17. ken

ken Well-Known Member

All Kung-Fu originated from Shaolin!

18. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

nah, I always liked Ken better../versus/images/icons/wink.gif

19. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

"Remember Ryu, Ken from SF? Underlining moral behind this, Japanese martial arts is the best? "

actually...Akira's style is Hayukuken (sp) and it's a Chinese Martial Art form...and not Japanese

Ok, I'm tired of ppl with no martial experience on this board ( just look at the movelist names ). Akira's style is indeed chinese and its a northern style known as Bagua or Pa Kua Chan ( loosely translated as eight trigram boxing ) which individualised itself in the mid 19th century. Its origin is usually associated to Tung Hai-Chuan who had learned this technique's basis from a taoist monk who lived on Yu Hu Shan mountain. Pa Kua's name itself was pulled straight of the I-Ching ( Book of mutations ). Like Tai Chi, this style is usually associated with "internal" schools of Boxing ( Nei Chia ) and is in direct correlation with the taoist vision of creation. Most of the style's development happened in Beijing. Though the system finally become a complete one through Tung Hai-Chuan & Kuo Yun-Shen ( Hsing-I sifu ) 's legendary fight. They say they were evenly matched and the fight lasted 3 *coughbullshit* days and could decide no winner. So they became friends instead and formed a full system using both styles, so you can find alot of Pakua techniques incorporated into Hsing-I and vice versa.

The style comprises alot of deep rooted stances to allow for powerful energy shifting i.e. hammer punch lift or double palm. Also very peculiar about this style is the use of shoulder techniques which is rarely seen in other boxing styles. The main weapons practice is the long staff ( 12 feet ) which works on the practioners balance and chi ( long time of practice before you actually get good at fighting with a 12 foot long stick ).

Even longer is implementing Bagua Quan's techniques into a real life combat situation ( exception to a few army bases in the south of china who teach a military pakua that's peticularly violent. Just imagine a dashing elbow to the ribs...). The barrier is that its an internal/soft style. So I think why Akira has always been so strong in VF taps into his martial style, not so much his nationality ( I think they would of given him a japanese style if they had wanted Jap domination ). The whole issue seems to tie into the age old question of which style is stronger : external or internal? Akira is the only representative of an internal style ( although maybe with exception of Aoi, but aikido being internal or external is another debate ) and I think sega took into account the clash of styles and wanted to credit an internal one with being extremely effective ( which is often enough, not the case ). Just imagine someone who has done 5 years of yang style Tai chi and ends up in a bar fight with a muay thai boxer of equal experience. Forget the tai chi guy, he's already at the hospital with a broken everything. Its EXTREMELY difficult to fight using an internal style. It takes years of practice to learn the forms slowly while concentrating on chi accumulation and twice the time to actually learn how to apply these with more speed while retaining the same amount of chi. Thats why Akira is in the game. Thats why he's different.

20. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

i don't know too much about Akira's art(can only say what i know from joji's VF2 FAQ), but i will agree that 8-extremes fist(which is what Akira's art roughly translates to) is one of the hardest to master martial arts in the world; little versatility, and you need TONS of practice, way more than all the conventional martial arts you hear.

on a side note, akido(aoi's art) is supposed to be one of the easiest and deadliest martial arts in the world; you don't need to be strong and fit, and it goes straight for the kill(most martial arts concentrate on battering the opponent until they are beaten; akido concentrates on breaking the guy's ribs/bones/neck, etc, efficiency over style). not to mention you can just watch steven seagal's movies for a good demonstration of akido