1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Are there any characters you think are too good in vf4 or vf evo?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Shankmaster1, May 12, 2003.

1. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Re: HATERATION

Everyone on this thread bitches alot. so to keep with tradition shun should have a evade bodycheck that does half on MC.

2. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

I was referring to Vanessas ability to guard the Chowan (as you put in bold type) after the [3][P]+[G]. Blondie was bitching at ST for character-specific traits - this one seemed like a viable bitch.

I'm pretty sure Vanessa's BT elbow will lose against the Chowan after this throw. I play against some pretty strong Vanessas, and they always go w/ the guard.

W/ Aoi, I can understand it - Aoi's all about reversals. That's what she does better than anyone. I don't recall Vanessa being a a better guarder than any other character.

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

[ QUOTE ]
    GaijinPunch said:

I was referring to Vanessas ability to guard the Chowan (as you put in bold type) after the [3][P]+[G]. Blondie was bitching at ST for character-specific traits - this one seemed like a viable bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, are you saying that Vanessa can actually turn around and guard the Chouwan after the [3][P]+[G] throw? This is news to me! What, just by holding [G]?

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm pretty sure Vanessa's BT elbow will lose against the Chowan after this throw. I play against some pretty strong Vanessas, and they always go w/ the guard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm telling you (again) that in DS, her BT defensive elbow stops Shun's Chouwan. I use it all the time.

[ QUOTE ]
    W/ Aoi, I can understand it - Aoi's all about reversals. That's what she does better than anyone. I don't recall Vanessa being a a better guarder than any other character.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vanessa has her fair share of reversals, hand holds and sabakis too. The jury's still out for me on her being a better "guarder" /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif but the game as a whole has a lot of character-specific stuff, especially with combos. By design, or fault, who knows?

4. GaijinPunch

Mikey:

[ QUOTE ]

So, are you saying that Vanessa can actually turn around and guard the Chouwan after the dfP+G throw? This is news to me! What, just by holding G?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, she can do it, but not by just holding [G]. After Shun does the [3][P]+[G], you have to enter "several" [2][G]'s. Sorry I can't get more speicific than that, but I rarely play as Vanessa. I tried the damn move like 2-3 times in a match, and kept swearing every time it didn't work. The guy I was playing (an acquaintance) finally told me - it's a vanessa specific move. Hoping nobody else would find out, I tried it against another guy that uses Vanessa (but is much better - sure enough, I was guarded everytime). /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm telling you (again) that in DS, her BT defensive elbow stops Shun's Chouwan. I use it all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to try this out next time I'm at the game center. She'll eat a [3][K] or [3][P] though, right?

5. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

Yes, of course if you know Vanessa's going for the defensive elbow (DS) BT [2][P], you can take advantage of it with other attacks (*cough* [K][K][2][P][K] *cough*). Same applies to Aoi's who always go for a reversal in the same situation.

Anyway, I get the feeling what you saw with those Vanessa players was the defensive elbow. Like I said, it just somehow stops the Chouwan, making it look like it was guarded. Neither party takes any damage in the exchange.

6. GaijinPunch

Hmmm... interesting.
    I'll have to ask, as I don't use Vanessa extensively enough to get a chance to check myself. It was a while ago, but if I'm not mistaken, he told me to input [2][G] a few times, but then again, it was in a loud game center, so who knows.

The thing is, I saw NO animation. I'd think it would have to be pretty subtle to totally miss it.

7. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

Here's a quick vid I whipped up.

vane_vs_shun.wmv

I recorded CPU Shun doing [3][P]+[G] ~ Chouwan then played it back against my Vanessa. I simply then [2][P] (look at the command input) against the Chouwan to "block" it.

I'm pretty sure you're friend is doing the same thing against you.

8. GaijinPunch

Yeah, that's it. Is it me, or is there absolutely no motion on Vanessa's part? I'd have never figured that out in a million years by watching it.

9. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

It's not just you.

The sabaki or stopping effect is immediate for Vanessa's defensive elbow. When it goes against any special mid attack, it will "block" it. Since she's already at a disadvantage when the Chouwan is coming at her, it basically stops it straight away, like at the 1st frame of the defensive elbow, which is why you don't see it's animation.

10. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

It may be that certain characters are simply given an arbitrary struggle ability rating.... for throw staggers, elbow staggers, etc. That rating only comes into play for very very tight stagger --> attack situations like sgpm --> dbpm. Otherwise it's not a factor in the game and not programmed in there to frustrate any specific character or sequence.

It'd be a very subtle thing, but I don't think it's too esoteric for the guys at am2... capcom gave the SF2 characters different shake-out-of-dizzies ratings.