1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Are there any Florida VFers here?

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by ghostdog, Dec 8, 2001.

1. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

I just played a couple of people from Florida about two weeks ago. So far there's me, Iron Monkey Fist, The Dude, Akira 2001, and Uncauzi (I think). So now I'm curious. Other than Jacksonville and Orlando, are there any other VFer's in Florida? Or even the southeast US (Georgia, Alabama, SC).

2. UnCauzi

UnCauzi Well-Known Member

Uhm there's ME! Oh you got me, do I know of you?

3. imf

imf Well-Known Member

Fear the GhostDog...

Hey Akira2K1, I'm thinking about going up there next weekend. Do you know when you can make it yet?

let me know...if you check this '_';;

later

4. UnCauzi

Damn guess if there are FL vfers they don't post on this board, then again I just got on here 2 weeks ago or so.

5. UnCauzi

Btw, April 10 and SFC there will be a VF4 tourney with a 100 base prize.

6. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

So there will be one on April 10th and one at SFC? Where is SFC held at?

7. ghostdog

What is SFC? Gimme more details, man!!/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

8. UnCauzi

SFC is in Miami Flippers arcade, I'll keep you posted, but the base will only be available if I get at least 8 people to go. Haha there was a Tekken 4 tournament at the last one and 1st place got 250 dollars and there was only 8 participants 0_o

9. ghostdog

Hmm....If it's happening on April 10th, there may be a good turnout. VF4 would have made it to the PS2 by then, so hopefully that'll get more people interested. Cooooolllll.../versus/images/icons/cool.gif/versus/images/icons/cool.gif/versus/images/icons/cool.gif

10. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known Member

Second time I've been to rockys now and NOBODY!! was playing...? Nothing but MvC2 sluts "_".

><

11. UnCauzi

and WHEN did you go? between 3-9 are main times but prime time is 6:30 - whatever week days and nights on weekends. I think you're just unlucky ;)

I won't be in town for the rest of the year though and I generally call a lot of VF players to arms so maybe
    they'll be chilling for a while. Either way there's 2 guys
    one a lau/akira and the other a lion player that should be around. Not to mention like 3-4 other guys who are just learning to play.

12. imf

imf Well-Known Member

Marvel sluts!! lol

There's like 3 guys that play VF4 and are all right at it...that's not much of a crowd.
    I hope it picks up '_' !?

Will they ever play anything new? mvc3 i guess...............-_-;;

13. The Dude

I am the Lion player, and I am just learning to play. I moved over to VF4 from TTT, and never played any other VF's. (I don't like Tekken 4.) All the Rocky's guys ever play is MvC2. No matter what time your there '_' . I guess I'll just have to look forward to playing your Jeffry and Shun when you get back.....yay?

14. UnCauzi

Hey I'm always game, well when I'm awake. I'm going to be playing at CTF some this week so maybe I'll bring back some more tricks. Well at least you've got the small black guy that plays lei fei to play against huhuhu. I know he's not the most technical player in the world but he'll put up a good fight, I'll suggest using him to play with some of lions other moves instead of just whoreing b,d/f+p, and d/f+p,p. Though against Lei Fei it isn't to easy to practice much on the character due to his nature. I mean this in the most respectful way not to say your lion is bad cause he isn't for a beginner. It's just that lately my secondary characters have been doing much better against your lion because I'm figuring out your general pattern. *Ahem* and no I'm not talking about Akira lol. My akira is sp0d master but well...that's about it. Right now I just think that high priority characters are going to give you a rough time unless you learn how to work around them. Aka good Laus and Jackys or even Lions. Last time I played you I just rushed with Lau and you didn't use much dodging stuff or vary from your low low, d/f+p, punch, throw game. Do you play against the Kage player much? He's not bad, he tries but he gets frustrated because he plays difficult characters, aka Kage and Akira.

So really there's you, your freind (or whatever, brother?), Dan, Dwayne, and say the old guy, the 2 latin guys, roger, and Frenchie, plus some others that you two prolly never seen or played once.

For a total of 10+ including me that kind of sort of know what they're doing. Right now you're right they stay on MvC2 for the most part but I'm pulling them into VF4 slowly and surely. They just get frustrated or don't bother when they see you and your bud playing, you two are cold as ice. That generally puts people off and they don't want to try. We have to get them to try to build a following! Maybe show them a few things. I'm not saying act like me I can be ridiculous even in clutch situations. Just lighten up a little ;) There's a reason they got another VF4 machine and it's not because of 3 players, people are learning give them time. In the mean time maybe give them a round here and there or crack a smile. Like 1 round, 2 can be dangerous 0_o

15. The Dude

Well, I guess I mostly agree with your post. But at least half the guys you mentioned barely know any moves with their characters, are completely ignorant of frames, and don't have a clue about reacting to mixups.

I would love to see Rocky's become a hotspot for VF competition, but I just don't see it happening. None of the guys that are there all the time played Tekken 4 seriously, none of them (minus Enkindu) play VF4 at all, and I only see them play CvS2 occasionally. I mean Rocky even got rid of one of the CvS2 machines! How could they not play CvS2? Do they play it at home or what?

As far as my Lion goes, I only use d/f+p,p when you swing with a frame disadvantage (ie. low kick on hit). It's fast, mid, and does good guaranteed damage on counter hit. And I only use b,d/f+p, in okizeme situations.

And as far as your secondary characters go. I don't know what moves or tactics your going to "whore" until I've played against them a couple of times(ie. double low punch, splash mountain w/ Jeffry) which is cute by the way. Against your Lau I did not know to dodge his constant rushing punches until I went home and read some stuff on him.

Yeah, I have played against Enkindu. He was the only one who knew what he was doing that played the last time I was there. He lost a couple of times then went and played Marvel the rest of the night. Now there's not anything wrong with that, it's just that if you want to get good at a game you have to be willing to lose ; ). I mean I remember being a part of a 40+ win streak against your Jeffry. But did that phase me? No. Because I wanted to get better at the game. And now it's a pretty good fight between us.

As far as being cold. I don't see what that has to do with anything. You've never said a word to me at Rocky's. And it doesn't bother me one bit. I go to Rocky's to either practice a new game or get some competition. Not to socialize.

16. UnCauzi

Your last paragraph is what I mean by cold. Hehe most of the places I've played at that had good competition is because people liked to play each other and did socialize to some extent. Whether you like it or not gaming is a social event. I'm not saying talk me out for a malt, just don't refuse to even look at me or acknowledge my prescence. WE'RE playing a game as in you and another person are playing together. It's not just you, but if all arcade people acted this way, then there be a lot less competitions and hardcore gamers. I hope you understand what I mean by "be freindlier and people will play you more, hopefully they will get better." If you don't care whether they get better then you don't care if you get better because your competition will ultimately reflect on your skill level.

I don't say anything to you because, you don't seem to want me to, or would rather NOT have me to. Do I talk to everyone else there? Yes sir. I even started talking to the other dood that hangs with you, much respect to his adaptation to my style of play. Quite nice, he'll have my number on a very regular basis soon enough I know it and he at least recognizes a good move or sees humor in certain situations. You seem to just get pissed.

Why am I preaching...who knows...I guess just play VF4 and be merry, I need the competition. Take what I say with a grain of salt please no ill will meant. I just want to promote VF gameplay which is directly related to how the best people that play the game in an arcade react with each other and to the scrubs so to speak.

Then again what do I know I'm frame ignorant as well, I just know that certain moves are faster/have more priority.

Oh and yeah they play CvS2 at home a lot. CvS2 wasn't doing well at the arcade because well, there were 4 regulars who sat at the machines and annihilated everyone who were rather average with top tier characters. Is that a bad thing? I can't blame them they're tourney players, but unlike MvC2 there was a much thinner line between the good players and the scrubs in the beginning. Now it's grown a lot thicker but that's because due to the thinner line the scrubs have had a chance to grow good themselves. Due to the old style of CvS2 it was doomed to fail. And yes I know, it's not really old style has new grooves etc, but basic concept of comboing and timing involved is not what the scrub who became a good MvC2 player is used to. Start from scratch? I think not. Much harder to jump from say a die hard tekken guy to VF than from die hard MvC2 to CvS2 imo.

Also contrary to popular belief a lot of top gamers CvS2 players in particular find the game boring. It's not surprising that CvS2 isn't popular among MvC2 players. According to John Choi himself "CvS2 is boring I'd rather play MvC2" and he's a top CvS2 guy.

17. UnCauzi

Rockys won't become a hot spot for competition in fact nowhere in Florida will ever be a hot spot. I just want it to become "A" spot for competition. Good games or not I just know that if people don't step up if it's just me, you, the other guy, dan (who's fun to play if not anything else to me so it might not apply to him) and Dwayne playing VF4 in the following months I'll probably get bored and stop playing.
    During my best gaming days back in the hay day of vf2 when i travelled to play all the time and had a great crowd of dedicated gamers to play against I got spoiled by the variety of a good gaming crowd. I have YET to experience this in Florida, closest I can come to it is by running tournaments...which has ended for now btw. Sorry about my whole bitchy post but I REALLY want people to get into the game. My bad, my whole fraggin post was all condescending and shit. What a way to get off on a good foot wh000hooo, que sera. Guess I'm just old, thinking of the old SF and VF days when people were cool with each other and laughed it up.

So back to the original quesiton ARE THERE ANY OTHER GODDAMN VF PLAYERS IN FLORIDA?!?!

18. imf

imf Well-Known Member

Oy!! '_' !

d+p, d+p, throw/mid/low doesn't really inspire much game
    related conversation out of me...go figure eh?

It would be nice if you could just play without whining so much. "Lau's so easy to win with" "Your Lion blah blah blah"
    It gets sorta funny after awhile actually. But you have to know
    what you're saying right?

You guys at rockys come off as a little strange...I dunno.
    If you're really saying that they wont play because they're
    "intimidated?" that does sound just a touch odd. Doesn't it?
    I like the sound of Marvel sluts myself^_^.

The way I see it you're as good as it gets for comp right now.
    And it's probably gonna stay that way until you quit. So we can either get better together or not. You plan on staying casual again? Or do you want to get better?

In past VF's low kicks gave you frame disadvantages...just thought I'd mention it cause you seem to like to "poke rush"
    or something with 'em. And it gets kinda painful to watch.
    Constructive criticism. No offense all right? And it's not pronounced cage;) That's good for now.

Feel free to give some Lau advice or whatever....

Good luck at CTF.

later

(sorry!!! this was in response to your more condescending post....I just read the other 2...>_< grain of salt right? ^_-)

19. UnCauzi

Lau is easy to win with is a popular opinion. In fact many think he IS the easiest character to play, while in fact Shun is difficult to play according to most people. Yeah, I've said it more than once but hey it's just my way of venting and I generally said this while playing Akira who is HELLA difficult for me at the moment. Okay maybe a couple times while playing shun but believe me I complain more out of my own pissyness with myself than anything else. I have a similar problem as Dwayne I generally play characters with close risk/reward ratios, Lau happens to have low risk/high reward similarly to Jacky in popular opinions. My frustration comes when I think I'm doing hella good to get reemed by a braindead float followed by ppp,d+k. Recently I've learned how to avoid some float situations with Lau and you in return have adopted another play style to counter my counter and that's what I like about VF. Although Lau may be easy in general to play, it's up to me to advance my gameplay to go beyond the "easy techniques" and in VF I think every character is capable of doing just that, unlike say Tekken 4 where some are just dead in the water compared to say Jin.

As for Jeffry I'm working on increasing my gameplay with him, added some pickups and stagger kicks etc recently I don't know if I tried them against you the last time. Just started to get more involved on the body cross knee also and the DTE stuff.

Thx for the criticism though in past Vf's I never low kicked as much as I do now. I think it came from the Low kick MC XPD from VF3 that both Wolf and Jeff could do.

Now everyone can low punch MC to whatever throw, not guaranteed but hella close, almost only counterable by escaping. Which in turn gives you low punch, low punch or low punch xpd. If either punch MC's.

Asides from that when it comes to me going casual, I won't go casual on vf4 for a while or at least until I get swamped with work. I like the game to much, more so than I ever liked Tekken 4. Virtua Fighter period was my favorite game for all time so you won't be getting rid of me anytime real soon.

20. UnCauzi

I've known the correct pronunciation since vf1, for kage hehe, but when talking to your average american they don't know who the fuck i'm talking about. So Kage is cage and hoahmaru is Ha Oh maru etc etc...I took japanese for a year I know the general rules huhuhu.