1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Are there moves I can't do because of. . .

Discussion in 'Kage' started by Cool3stNERD, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Cool3stNERD

Cool3stNERD Well-Known Member

Are there moves I can't do because my Hori Buttons on my fight stick suck? I am trying to do "623P+K then P, then K, then K" When I input the move it comes out as something along the lines of "641233P+K P+K P" it does the initial dragon Punch so I figure the direction inputs have to be generally correct (within the 10 frame buffer I am guessing) but I know I only tap the "P+K" once and it comes up twice MOST of the time is this affecting the "P" that I try to throw after I am in the air?

More often than Not I can execute the "623P+K then K" with no problem, but the "623P+K then P" I fail more often.

2. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    You have to do it on hit. Kage's Dragon Punch is one of the hardest moves input-wise in the game. The [6][2][3][P]+[K] [K] isn't on hit, it's just a straight string.

Needs a lot of timing. Once you get it down though it'll become easier.

I actually remember someone linking a handy little flash game that helps you get the timing down. No idea if that's still floating about.

3. Cool3stNERD

OOoooohhh that is why I can do that one... I thought both were "on hit". How do you get the buttons to come up like that?

4. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    You can just click on them in the full reply screen.

I've become used to just typing them in though.

I'll use semi-colons her as an example but if you want the buttons to appear you need to use proper colons.

For directions it's just the numbers you are using already, so for Kage's Dragon punch it would be.

;6;;2;;3;

For punch it is ;P; for kick it is ;K; and for guard it is ;G;.

Also, for a held direction you would type the number followed by an underscore, so ;2_; would give you [​IMG]

5. Cool3stNERD

Oh ok cool thanks...

6. El_Diablo_Blanco

El_Diablo_Blanco Active Member

easiest way to learn the timing for just frames imo is to just watch the demo of them numerous times in command training and listen to the blips that the game makes for each button press and memorize the timing of the blips like musical notes. Also every just frame move in the game but a couple make a noise when you need to be pressing the button. You need to press at the exact same time your character would normally grunt dont try to press when you hear the hit connect, its at the same instance your character grunts you need to be pressing. But like I said all of them but a couple in the game make a noise to let you know when to press.

7. Richkwondo

Richkwondo Well-Known Member

Bro, the best advice I can give you is just half tap the buttons. I mean just tap the buttons 50% down. With moves like the DPoD and the attack throws, if you slam the buttons 100% down, even with sound inputs , the move will not register. It's because a full press counts for too many frames. A half press will count for two or three frames , which is safe to get a successful input in that combo. But a full press will count for six or seven frames, and is more likely to make your inputs overlap, and fail the combo. Sure you can nail the DPoD while slamming down the buttons, but your success rate will be lower, because your timing has to be spot on. I find that I hit the buttons too hard in that combo, I have to switch my timing from doing the next input "on hit" to doing the next input "on the last possible split second of contact on hit".

It's hard to do the half press method at first , especially if your an overly agressive player like I am. You have to be calm, even in the middle of a heated match to pull it off.

8. Cool3stNERD

Do you mean for the Arcade sticks?

9. Cool3stNERD

Thanks ... I'll have to listen for that grunt when I get home... and I dont know WHY i didnt think to remember the blips cause that is the way I mastered 10-Hit combos on Tekken... lol

10. Richkwondo

Yes, bro, I mean for Arcade sticks. I know it takes a sick amount of self control to half-press those arcade stick buttons, but that's where my Zen technique comes in. I use a VSHG on PS3 VF5 , and a Hori EX modded with all sanwa parts on 360 VF5 . Since you brought it up I was practicing that Dragon punch combo. Anyway you can slam the [P] +[K] buttons if you want for the initial DP , but it's not recommended . Just watch Kage's feet , as he spins and pivots when the dragon punch is started (but before his feet leave the ground), lay off the buttons, then lightly tap [P] , then [K] , [K] . if you do more than tap the 2nd , 3rd and fourth parts, it will register the button frames at 4 frames and you will fail the move. Your subsequent button presses have to be at 3 frames or less, and timing does definitely matter, they have to be on hit. So if you time the air shuto (chop) that follows up the dragon punch correctly, you will definitely land the rest. Only the air shuto is forgiving on timing , so if your timing is off you'll at least land the dragon punch , air shuto part.

11. Hazzerone

Hazzerone Well-Known Member

This is bullshit advice. Tap those buttons as much as you feel comfortable.

And the reason why you can't do the dragon punch + follow ups is simply because it IS difficult. It's the hardest move in the game to do.

12. Richkwondo

One, your fucking ignorant. Gauge how hard you hit the buttons versus the frame data in Dojo mode. Then tell me it's bullshit advice. Pay attention to what youre doing during the input , that's all it takes. I can back up my claims with the frame data in Dojo mode . You on the other hand are just pulling shit out of your ass. The DPoD is only as hard or as easy as you make it.

13. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

The quality of the button/switches can make a big difference in what sort of results you get, framewise, for inputs.

Years ago I tested & the hori buttons I had showed wild variation from 2-5 frames per press while sanwa buttons were a steady & consistant 2 frames per press.

Not exactly science but, heh.

14. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Yep, although in regards of inputting and controllers, peoples mileage varies a lot. Most people develop a very personalized method of inputting things. I dont think theres any 'right' way to do things.

Personally I for example hit the buttons pretty forcefully, not half way. And in regards of Kages DPoD, I just press the buttons full and then lift my finger off completely in each separate button press. Kind of like a child playing piano with a single finger. If you just half tap the buttons then theres the danger of you leaving your finger 'resting' on the buttons which may count as a press with the ultra-sensitive sanwa buttons.

Kages DPoD (Dragon punch of doom) is certainly doable on basically any controller, its just a case of timing the presses.

And Coolestn3rd, DPoD is very hard to do, so if you cant pull it off its no shame. Hell, I cant pull it off without a lot of tries [​IMG] But if I mained Kage all the time then I propably would.

15. Hazzerone

Hazzerone Well-Known Member

I stand by my point in saying your "advice" is wrong.

I can do [6][2][3][P]+[K] [P],[K],[K] tapping OR holding the buttons for as many frames as I please. For example, I just got the [K] part of DPoD to connect whilst STILL holding down [P].

Also please don't call me ignorant when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, it makes you appear a hypocrite.

Let me tell you something about these "on hit" commands alright? The only thing that matters is that you HIT THE BUTTON when the previous move CONNECTS. That is why it's called "on hit" and not called "on tap button as you can't do it by holding them"

Akira's KNEE is the only move that requires you to really "tap" the buttons and not hold them (although you must somewhat "hold" [K] when doing it)

I was able to get the [P] and the [K] parts to connect with inputs varying between 2 frames and 999 frames.

I take back earlier what I said about DPoD being the hardest move in the game to do. I think DLC is harder now.

You know what's awesome though? I don't use Kage but I can do this move LOL (atleast in dojo).

16. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Hazzerone is right. The only move where the duration of a press is critical is Akira's knee. Any other time it doesn't matter.

The only requirement for hit timing moves is the that you press the button at the "right" time. What is the right time? The moment the preceding move hits.

To answer the original post: no, there aren't any moves you can't do because of the type of button. That is to say, you can learn to do any move on any type of button.

So the key is all in the timing of the press, and not the pressure or duration of the press.

17. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
  18. SicilianVizzini

SicilianVizzini Well-Known Member

My 2x hori's(ps3 & modded GC to ps2) and 360 SF4 stick all prefer a fast delicate touch.

Electrical circuits have exponential rise and fall characteristics (like the graphs of capacitor charging/discharging) so the longer/harder you are in contact with a button, the longer it takes for it to go open circuit; if the time to go open circuit, exceeds the time for the next input, then the move will fail; this might not be too likely under normal conditions, but when frustrated, hitting cheap buttons like a Nintendo bongo drum doesn't work in fighting games from my experience.

Myke's comment about Akira's 1 frame knee is completely true, because of the rise and fail characteristics.

I've also found that pressing the buttons dead centre helps avoid jarring the button recoil (which physically slows their time to go open circuit).

Myke is also correct that timing is key, but there is definitely something in doing fast/delicate inputs as a new arcade stick user.

19. SicilianVizzini

SicilianVizzini Well-Known Member

Just for conciseness, open circuit should have been used in place of closed circuit and vice versa, as the rise/fall characteristics are quicker when you use an open circuit to indicate press down, and closed circuit to indicate neutral button position.

But that was only something I noticed last year, when I took a ps2 pad innards and put them in a joystick.

20. Cool3stNERD

I agree ... cause the Hori buttons I have now do feel a little shaky to me and I did see crazy variations when I purposely sat there the other day and Tap the buttons as fast as I could while watching the frames.