1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Are throws considered cheap?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Mike90210, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Mike90210

Mike90210 Well-Known Member

I was playing with my friend whos been playing since VF1 minus VF3tb and I kept throwing him. He kept telling me how cheap throws were. I just wanna know if all u other VF players think its cheap or if its just part of the game...

2. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

throwing is a very big part of the game.
    In fact..it's crucial.
    It's something anyone that is starting to playing VF should learn to do. (throw, avoid being thrown etc etc)

In fact, if u ever run into someone that has really solid defensive skills...good luck in landing throws on him/her

3. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

If you hear that, it's because he's frustrated because he sucks. Removing throws from the game would *cripple* a number of characters. Without throws, why on earth would you ever have to crouch against Sarah? All of her low attacks are horrible for damage, slow and can usually be counted on to leave her at a disadvantage, even if they connect (except for the sweep, which is stil slow and pathetic in damage, but at least it knocks down). And that's how she's supposed to be played?

Your friend just obviously has no interest in improving his gameplay, and in keeping you in check so he can beat you. Dust him with the throws...repeatedly.

4. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Rock... paper... scissors.

Take out scissors from the game, and I'd throw out paper all day long.

5. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

Throws in VF are not cheap simply because you can break more than one at a time. It beats the hell out of TTT =). Practice. Your reaction time will get better as you play more. In the mean time check out Option Select. "keyword" or I think its in the VF section =).

Nicely put Feixaq. =)

6. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

Your reaction time will get better as you play more.

Does it mean you can immediately enter escape commands based on insane reflex after you see a split second of throw animation? /versus/images/icons/blush.gif

7. Blondie

Correct. Mostly the exciting matches to watch are between people that know the others strategies. But yes after a move or evade you can double throw escape within 10 frames I believe and be elligible to break either throw if attempted by the opponent. Also, Sidestepping, NOT, evading and double throw escape is very useful because an opponent can see that you evaded while he didn't swing. That split second of him seeing your animation gets you thrown a lot of the time. So when you evade and see that there wasn't any move to evade. A good reaction, A lightning Reaction is to double throw escape. =) Good luck fellas =)

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

dude, read carefully. The guy's asking if you can escape throws from having seen the other guy's arms reach out for a throw animation . Those kind of reflexes are impossible. the reflexes come in when you block a move, and recognize that it's throw counterable, and then quickly enter a throw before the opponent recovers. It's easy for a big move like jeffry's headbutt or something, a little tougher for Akira's double palm or Jacky's puntkick.

Anyway, to answer the original question, a LOT of the moves in this game can ONLY be punished with throws if they're blocked... otherwise they're really safe. So if the other guy won't throw, he can only mix up high and low attacks to inflict damage. I meanwhile will just keep throwing out big moves and combo him to death before he can peck me to death with sweeps and low kicks.

9. Blondie

Creed you are right. I did make a mistake, I meant on reaction from a non-evading sidestep. Sometimes if you are quick enough you can possibly get one or two throw escapes off if you see the side-step animation after trying to evade a suspected linear move. As far as throw escaping on arm reaction lol, thank you creed I wasn't really paying attention. Thats hard to do. VERY hard. But hey you have a frame or two. =) lol

correction: in your above post I think you meant mid and low attacks, high and low can be stopped the same way. just duck =).

10. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Nothing is cheap in Virtua Fighter

Every decision that you make has the potential to be a mistake. Depends on whether its your mistake or the opponents.

Name any move that you think is abusive and post it, I guarantee that there's something you could've done or you committed a mistake somewhere.

11. Shundi_05

Shundi_05 Well-Known Member

Hi!

Throws in VF is never CHEAP cos you will can ESCAPE them!!! /versus/images/icons/frown.gif /versus/images/icons/frown.gif /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

12. nxw0016

nxw0016 Well-Known Member

NO. Throw is not cheap.

There are cheap players, not cheap moves.

13. LittleWild

LittleWild Well-Known Member

Like what Feixaq said, taking out the throws is like mutiliating VF4. It is an inportant part of the game. Can you imagine what VF will be like without throws? Every one will probably be holding on to G for all they've got.

14. Sausage Man

Sausage Man Active Member

Cheap players? No such thing.

15. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree with you : <font color=white>YOU CANNOT BE CHEAP AT VIRTUA FIGHTER</font color=white> !
    This game is designed in such that you can have an answer for every situation in the game. There is always something you can do to avoid an attack, or to inflict damage yourself. Always a way to avoid getting R.O. or finishing off before the clock runs out. Whenever someone looses a match, its their fault and no one elses because the possibility for response was always there. You get better real quick when you know the possibility is there but you fucked up on your OS /versus/images/icons/smile.gif.

16. BakuBaku

BakuBaku Well-Known Member

Fo'real, I think VF is the only game ever made where it is impossible to be cheap.

17. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

let's put it this way(this has been discussed in the shoryuken.com site too); why are throws cheap? most of the time, the person is whining simply because the attack is not what they expect and they're getting tired of being nailed over and over by the same move. you also notice how the same people who think throwing over and over is cheap also condone blocking all day long. and then they back it up by the classical "oh, i like playing with skill, not cheapass tactics" rant.

but like said before, nothing in fighting games are cheap(even in games like MVC2, there are still counters to broken strategies), and even more so in VF4, where it is literally IMPOSSIBLE to be cheap; annoying yes, but cheap? oh no.

educate your friend, then throw his ass all over the place. feixaq put it the best too; i'd be throwing out paper all day long if there were no scissors too. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

18. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

I agree in theory... in theory, communism works. But when Kage starts throwing you OVER the damn fences... I tend to say cheap. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

19. Mr. Noisy

Mr. Noisy Well-Known Member

No, that's not cheap...I use that pretty often /versus/images/icons/smile.gif
    It's something to make the fight more exciting

20. Freud

Freud Well-Known Member

Ppl playing against Kage should always be wary of the RO situation by TFT. that's Kage's trademark and his most potent throw. Anyone who neglects to defend against it, deserves to take whatever damage it deals to him.
    So far, when playing against the better players while using Kage, I never seem to get any RO from TFTs. Its almost always broken.