1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Arrow Punch (Evo for PS2)

Discussion in 'Lei' started by Darrius_Cole, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Darrius_Cole

Darrius_Cole Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    Can Lei Fei's Arrow Punch be Sabaki'ed?

I've been having problems with it. I did a search and found these options for dealing with it.

1. Block and struggle
    2. Evade with perfect timing. (It tracks really well.)
    3. Reverse or Inashi if you have a MP option. (I play with Pai, so I have one.)

I want to know if the following options will work.

a. Sabaki with [6][4][P]
    b. Crush it with a full charge attack and perfect timing. [4][6][6][P]+[K]

As I understand the game mechanics to work I should be able to do them both, but I am wondering if the fully charged effects make is somehow different.

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Of course, any reversal, inashi, sabaki, etc that works on MP's will work against the arrow punch.

I would not recommend trying to crush it with your own charge attack. By the time you see it coming, it'll be too late to fully charge, and even then, timing a crush is very difficult and highly risky.

3. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this actually work, but try dodging and not hitting [G] or anything after the dodge.

Moves in VF only track if the opponent is guarding or doing something.

4. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

What you should do is evade (and if you evade a bit early make sure you don't hold guard/attack too early), and punish with a mid move that is performed the same regardless of camera angle. This is of course because sometimes you will switch sides when you evade it. For example, with Kage, you can use 2K+G or K+GP. Some characters may not be able to punish easily everytime, since if it's done close, he'll go past you a bit, so you need something with range in that situation.

You could also just reverse/whatever against it, but it's risky.

5. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

If you are Jacky or Vanessa, you can just let go of G, and you will grab him.

If you have a reversal, you can reverse it. You need to get a feel for the timing of it in the training mode.

Evading is tricky. Use backdash evade over a plain evade as your timing can be less strict. Hit him with a mid attack or go for a side throw, but the situation after evading this move changes greatly depending on the initial distance between two characters.

The rule of thumb is, if you can react fast enough to see it and evade it, you should be able to reverse it. Reversing this move( including auto inashi) is the best way to discourage Leifei from using this as well.
    (mental damage)

6. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    If you are Jacky or Vanessa, you can just let go of G, and you will grab him.

[/ QUOTE ]

To original poster:

Very easy to do. It will take a very tricky Lei to fool you with this move if you're playing Jacky or Vanessa.

7. Darrius_Cole

Darrius_Cole Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    I tried all of the above, well except for the Kage, Jacky, Vanessa part because I play with Pai. All of you were correct.

The evade was OK, harder to time than most mid punches but it left me behind Lei instead of at his side. Most of the time I was just out of throw range.

Sabakis worked but I found them harder to do as it, ([6][4][P])requires an extra motion. It also didn't leave me with as much of an advantage the other options.

Reversals worked fine

I found that the easiest thing to do was to Inashi [3][P]+[K]. It doesn't give as much damage as the reversal but it does cause a stagger. Since Pai has the bless-ed 13-frame high kick that floats on normal. I fould it brain-dead easy to Inashi, dash towards, High Kick , slow kick , slow kick -hop kick ; for an 80 point combo (pretty decent for Pai Chan) with the stagger recovery set to fast. The end result is more damage if than the reversal, unless my opponent can struggle faster than the computer.

I don't know what a backdash evade is. Is that simply backdashing at the proper time or is there more involved?