1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Attack of the....

Discussion in 'General' started by Chanchai, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Who else thinks "Attack of the Clones" is a ridiculous title for Star Wars Episode 2. I may not be a Star Wars nut.... but come on.... Are they trying to corner the B-Grade Sci-Fi/Horror flicks?! This may not be the newest piece of news, but still.... bleh!

Anyone want to play Ad Lib? Fill in the underscores with whatever comes to your mind when you read the following sentence:

"Attack of the ____________"

-Chanchai

P.S. My answers: Blob, Killer Tomatoes, 100-foot tall woman, Green Men from Mars, Prosthetic Prop from Boogie Nights (just kidding), and too many more things I can think of.... have fun with the ad lib if you care whatsoever. (Yes, I know the importance of clones to the Star Wars storyline--or so I think--but that's no excuse for such a title!)

2. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

I wonder what BBS title you get after having over a 1000 posts... guess we'll find out soon ;) You're a maniac.

3. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Attack of the CHANCHAI RESPONSE

And to think.... I registered 22 months ago. As I write this message, this will be my 986th post registered... the average/mean there is approximately 44.8181..... posts per month.

And then there's Mr. Bungle (I'm just having fun with this Rico, don't take it personally--though I know you won't anyways/versus/images/icons/smile.gif)... And I'm only counting his posts since he was registered on the Fourth of July last year. Let's say that is 13 months. 615 posts under that registered account (and there have been more of course). The average/mean of that is approximately 47.31 posts per month.

Fun with meaningless numbers/versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

-Chanchai

PS Of course I'll admit that I post what's on my mind, whereas a lot of Senor Bungle's posts have been quick comments, analysis, and of course some conflict too. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif Now let's see if anyone else has anything to say about the Episode 2 title in this general thread. (BTW, anyone catch the HK Spammer?/versus/images/icons/wink.gif)

Note: I am curious myself to see what happens at 1000. Myke, don't change the names yet, I want to see it before you come up with something wacky for me (and then Jeff when he catches up).

Anyways, the top 10 Registered Posts are:
    1) Chanchai (who else?! You get quantity in bulk, baby! More posts & More text!!!)
    2) Ice-9 (Despite lack of activity lately, he's still such an active guy--which is the cause of his lack of online activity lately hehehe)
    3) Mr. Bungle (Now there's a gap... but why aren't many of us surprised at this?)
    4) SummErs (wow, this I was not aware of, he was catching up to Bungle as well!)
    5) Myke (he posted 452 times? Give the guy a hand! Either it was a news update or it was useful. Extra applause please!)
    6) Llanfair (This was indeed a surprise to me. Go Llany!)
    7) Shadowdean (Due to his "memorable" posts, I thought this guy would be higher up.)
    8) GodEater (Man I miss this guy, but he'll always be the good ol' GE we know and love!)
    9) uk_kid (he's up here too? hmm... Cool. Anyone notice the face in his name? k_k hehe)
    ....and number ten is....
    10) adamYUKI (!!! Oh wait.... Keyword: CrewNYC!!!!)

Fun with meaningless statistics/versus/images/icons/tongue.gif <-- Americans love MEANINGLESS statistics (kinda scary...)

***GLC, you asked for it!***

NOW, BACK TO THIS THREADS' TOPIC NOW!

4. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Re: Attack of the CHANCHAI RESPONSE

I'm sure the title is wacky ;) It's probably gonna change your profile from this:

Chanchai (old hand)

to that:

Chanchai (Nick, are you out of your mind?)

Btw... if you don't count number of posts but content, I'm sure it'd turn out you've typed more than everyone else added together :)

5. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

Attack of the Inevitably Inferior Sequel :)

6. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

On second thoughts, could there be a worse (more disappointing) film than Episode One? We shall see...

7. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Who else thinks "Attack of the Clones" is a ridiculous title for Star Wars Episode 2.

The title may pertain to a scene in "Star Wars". Obiwan Kenobi mentions something about the "clone wars" in a scene on Tatooine (the desert planet). It was one of the early scenes in the movie, and I think Ben was telling Luke about the history of his uncle, his father (Darth Vader), and Ben.
    My memory about the specifics is a little rusty, but I think that's where the title comes from.

Just thought you might be curious....

<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=red>DOG</font color=red>

8. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Just wait till I forum whore VFDC... =)

My clan website for Tribes 2? I chalked up 1100 posts in 5 months. Also cranked out 1500 posts in a year on an Unreal Tournament competition forum.

9. ghostdog

I chalked up 1100 posts in 5 months. Also cranked out 1500 posts in a year on an Unreal Tournament competition forum.

Pretty impressive. But have you taken a look at some of the posters' numbers at tekkenzaibatsu.com? 3000, 4000, 5000 posts and counting! I don't know how long it took to get to those numbers, though.

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=red>DOG</font color=red>

10. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Got my work cut out for me then. Post post post... =P

11. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

In response to the original topic of this thread... "Attack of the Clones" is a seriously lame title. Even "Star Wars Episode II: The Clone Wars" would be better, and more in line with the books. (Loved Timothy Zahn's Hand of Thrawn trilogy, but after that the books went straight downhill...)

Inspired by playing Emperor: Battle for Dune, I've recently had the opportunity to read 4 out of 6 of the Dune books -- Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune. (Still have Heretics and ChapterHouse to go...) This is seriously good stuff... I can see a lot of ideas in Star Wars that originated from the Dune universe (e.g. spice mining on Kessel, Muad'Dib in one of the Star Wars books, etc.)... a pity that David Lynch's movie adaptation of Dune didn't do the book justice at all.

P.S. GhostDog -- The TribalWar.com forum whores (Tribes / Tribes 2) are pretty out of control too. You can barely read a page of posts before the next page is filled.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

WyldKard's Star Wars Theory...

The following is a very cool analysis of the story of Star Wars, and if this dude is correct, then George Lucas has some BIG surprises to unveil in the forthcoming episodes. Do you think he could really execute a plot twist of the magnitude WyldKard claims? :eek:)

This would blow away the twists in movies such as The Usual Suspects, Primal Fear, The Killing Game etc no sweat.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.multimania.com/bruce/sw/star_wars_theory.htm>http://www.multimania.com/bruce/sw/star_wars_theory.htm</A>

13. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

I don't know man, Zahn's original Thrawn trilogy was great, but Kevin J. Anderson has to be my favorite Star Wars author, namely with the Jedi Academy trilogy and Darksaber. His writing just seems to fit the universe perfectly. I must confess I haven't kept up with the books for the last year or so though.

14. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

my memory is a bit fuzzy on this - i could be wrong - but i believe herbert detested lucas (for the star wars story), calling him a hack plagiarist.

and you'll get no arguments from me on that.

regarding the dune movie...not that you were, but i've felt that it's unfair and impossible to judge a film adaptation of a book against the original book. now that may sound strange, but the two mediums are so different that trying to do so is like trying to compare apples to cows. people are always going to be let down if they do so.

i actually like the dune movie on its own, a lot - if for no reason other than its visual and dramatic presentation. it's really well cast, too. many readers and herbert himself thought that the cast and design was about what they had imagined it to be...

15. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

some people on the shoryuken.com forums have, literally, tens of thousands of posts to their name.

16. ghostdog

beep, beep, beep.......SPAM ALERT!!!!!
    What could someone have to say that would take that many posts?

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=red>DOG</font color=red>

17. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

VFScrub,
    Uh... wow. That is one long-ass conspiracy theory on Star Wars Episode II :) We'll see what actually transpires. But, in any case... subtitling Episide II "Attack of the Clones" borders on criminal insanity no matter how good the plot might be =(

Yamcha,
    Hmm. I liked Timothy Zahn's trilogy; Kevin J. Anderson's Jedi Academy trilogy paled in comparison (IMHO). The writing style was much more straightforward, not as much panache or intricacies as Zahn's. Urgh, Kevin Anderson cowrote House Atreides and House Harkonnen (and the upcoming House Corrino) with Brian Herbert, Frank Herbert's son, and the two books are NOTHING compared to the original Dune series (not to mention the inconsistencies). I dunno, just my personal opinion in any case.

Mr. Bungle,
    Watching the Dune movie, you get the feeling that Lynch actually filmed 8 hours worth, but had to trim it down to 2½ hours. I think he had the right idea insofar as the style was concerned (Frank Herbert particularly liked the casting of Lady Jessica and Chani IIRC)... just that because he had to edit the movie, a lot of important parts got chopped out, and in the end, the resultant movie looks like a mishmash of scenes, some characters are introduced just briefly (e.g. Duncan Idaho, Stilgar), and the average viewer who hasn't read the book would have no clue what is going on. I like the portrayal of the third stage Guild Navigators and the Fremen, though.

18. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

Note: I am curious myself to see what happens at 1000. Myke, don't change the names yet, I want to see it before you come up with something wacky for me (and then Jeff when he catches up).

Sorry to burst everyone's balloon, but the next title change occurs at 1200! I haven't changed any of the titles nor do I intend to, so what you see are just the defaults - pretty bland - the way they should be.

There's nothing worse than clicking through worthless posts and seeing people post just for the sake of upping their total is just fucking stupid. I'm glad this forum doesn't reward huge posters the way other forums do by the way of pretty little graphics of badges, shields, trophies, etc. The extent to which people will go to in order to make themselves look good in public is pathetic.

Just felt like venting. This post was in no way directed at anyone here. Overall I'm quite impressed with our signal to noise ratio, especially lately.