1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Attacking low with Brad

Discussion in 'Brad' started by BodomSoldier, Nov 19, 2007.

1. BodomSoldier

BodomSoldier Active Member

Are there any attacks worth using that hit low? Doesn't seem like Brad has any safe low options except for /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif which only seems effective on CH. Any ideas?

2. driftsilencer

driftsilencer Well-Known Member

Brad's low options are limited. You may wish to try /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, but the trick is to do it from maximum range.

Though you are at -19 frames disadvantage, if guarded (which means you are open to most characters big launchers such as Sarah's 17f Dragon Cannon, Akira's 18f Youhou ), if done from maximum range, you can crouch-backdash to avoid some retaliation. Then one possible flowchart followup is /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, which moves Brad forward again with a hard-hitting mid that staggers even on normal hit.

Don't get predictable though!

3. BodomSoldier

BodomSoldier Active Member

Yeah I don't like down k+g anymore since the risk/reward isn't great even if it hits (only CH gives you anything to follow up with).

4. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

Brad has pisspoor low's. 1kk is sort of ok sometimes though but it's very situational (check if your opponent avoids the second part by guarding or ducking). Btw, backdashing for Brad on 2k+g to avoid retaliation used to be an old evo / ft strategy ON HIT. Forget about doing that on guard driftsilencer.

5. Dessico

Dessico Active Member

As said above, Brad really doesn't have any lows worth using.. often. I can't really think of anything else besides PT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, which I'll occasionally use on okizeme.

6. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Not to be overused, but if your style incorporates a lot of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif to go BT, then BT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif might get you some mileage. It's full circular, knocks down on normal hit, and is only -15 on guard (c.f. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is -19, and looks very similar)

7. DancingFighterG

DancingFighterG Well-Known Member

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. 2K+G is his best low in my mind. Though unsafe, pretty quick for the type of low it is and the BT is good too like Myke suggested. I use 1P a lot more but I fuzzy if it hits.

8. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is really nice close to walls. Gives good wall stagger on all hits.

9. FameDouglas

FameDouglas New Member

I have lot of success with his simple /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. I mean c'mon who's afraid of a low attack that doesn't knock down, right? I think he should have a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif - /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif//forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif//forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif//forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif options from that incomplete looking /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif he has...

10. Vortigar

Vortigar Well-Known Member

I've been using the two special movement lows a lot lately (way too much really), Ie. Sway back k+g and phasing turn 2p. The sway back kick on counter hit always earns some giggles, if only it gave a combo instead but yeah, for style points.

Brad's lows may not seem to be terribly good on paper but all of them have a definate use (apart from 2k). I sometimes play a bit of low kick chip damage brad at the start of a round to put the opponent against the ropes, works from time to time.

Let's sum it up (disadvantage on block):
    1k (-14) comes with a canned k follow-up that's guaranteed on counter hit, is very delayable and is only -5 on block. As it's high it doesn't guarantee anything but the opponent is forced to be cautious when counterattacking against this thing. +
    2k (-14) gives +1 on counterhit, apart from that it has the same stats as 1k but without the juicy follow-up, making me dub this one of the most useless move in the game. --
    1p (-14) gives a combo on counterhit, that's really all you need to know beside from not using it too up close. ++
    ppk (-14) serves as a semi-mixup with pp6pp (fastest input) and is really only useful to do some chip damage. Useless against good fuzzy guarders. +/- or --
    4kp2k (-14) another mixup low with 4kpk, useful for chipping away at the opponent who is probably unfamiliar with this rarely used string. +/-
    2k+g (-19) full-circular thus useful. Knocks down on counter hit. Surprisingly good reach. Also: wall-stagger (thx Jeneric) +
    k+g 2k+g (-22!) the other full circular, but this one knocks down on any hit. Anybody can see this one coming though and its not delayable, so only useful after training the opponent or as canned combo on a k+g counter. -
    PT 2p (-18) very useful as okizeme mixup with throw, p+k and k from PT. It also resets okizeme so OM/PT/DD after them and go at it again. +
    SB k+g (-17) surprise! low kick with good reach. Initiates a taunt animation on counter hit. The coolest round ender out there apart from the wall-jump knee. As I use SB p+kpk3k from time to time I mix it up with this one and SB k. +/-
    BT 2k (-15) knocks down on any hit, useful as mixup after 2_4k. +

Anyone disagree with any of my rundowns on these moves?
    Post it up.

11. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

I tend to use 1P a lot but only bc it works so well for me and it's also half-circular. I use it when I see my opponent evading a lot to Brad's front or going for a series of high attacks or when I think a throw is coming. I think I've even seen it go under some mids /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif
    Brad has so many good mid attacks that opponents rarely block low. That's why a good, random 2K+G will work best when at medium range. Some of Brad's best mids are at this range.
    Just make sure you apply the universal fighting game law: "Dont get too predictable." ALL of Brad's lows are punishable when blocked.