1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Axe the user ratings...

Discussion in 'Site News, Questions and Feedback' started by GLC, Jul 3, 2002.

1. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Well, just do it, like you were supposed to /versus/images/icons/smile.gif They serve no purpose and have no meaning.

2. HighKing

HighKing Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree, I usually overlook it, actually I pay no attention to it.

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    For cryin' out loud, I already said I was going to remove the user ratings, so please just be patient and it'll be done eventually.

4. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Man, you're so slow with everything... who hired you anyway /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

5. Dougydug

Dougydug Well-Known Member

Looks like you've already decided, but here is one reason to keep them. I just saw someone post "i agree". Why? They could either keep their personal opinions to themselves or concentrate on the post in hand. The thread involved a new guy asking for combo having only played for 3-4 weeks, so someone directed him to the dojo and told him to do some research first. This next guy could have just rated him good, or sent him a personal e-mail... Phew, that took so long... sorry. But think about it - some of you guys are always saying reduce noise, then you limit the ways in which people can respond... Just a thought /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Flaming the shit out of someone's always much more effective than clicking their username and giving them a 1. /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

Oh well, moot point as you said..

7. HighKing

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Looks like you've already decided, but here is one reason to keep them. I just saw someone post "i agree". Why? They could either keep their personal opinions to themselves or concentrate on the post in hand. The thread involved a new guy asking for combo having only played for 3-4 weeks, so someone directed him to the dojo and told him to do some research first. This next guy could have just rated him good, or sent him a personal e-mail... Phew, that took so long... sorry. But think about it - some of you guys are always saying reduce noise, then you limit the ways in which people can respond... Just a thought

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense but what the hell are you talking about?!?!? /versus/images/icons/confused.gif

8. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    HighKing, what didn't you understand about Dougydug's post? It was perfectly clear to me, and CreeD as well. If you don't understand someone's post, replying with essentially a "huh?" is just as worse as me-tooing. Please don't do it, and ironically(?) it's exactly the kind of thing he was talking about.

User-ratings could have been used as a means of feedback to a user - to let him/her know what you thought of their 'contributions' to the site. If they were spamming, contributing noise or worthless posts, (e.g. "huh?", "me too!", etc) then you could give them a low rating rather than posting a flame.

Trouble with that is the user probably doesn't know what he/she did wrong in the first place, and just thinks this place is full of jerks (assuming they cared about user ratings in the first place). Sure, the user-rating prevented more noise, but the poster remains ignorant and will probably make the same mistake again.

I've already shared my reasons why I didn't like user ratings in another thread, so look that up if you're interested. In any case, if you haven't already noticed, the user ratings are now gone.

9. HighKing

I know what he's talking about

It was contrary to his post, don't know why I did it, guess I felt like it. /versus/images/icons/confused.gif sorry for that. /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

10. Dougydug

Dougydug Well-Known Member

Yeah, no hard feelings HighKing. It was pretty rude of me to butt in anyway. And yes, flaming probably is more satisfying/practical... just making sure you know what you're doing.