1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Back Turned Throws

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by cheeseball, Jun 4, 2002.

1. cheeseball

cheeseball Member

I didn't know what to call this but here goes. today i found out that on the psx version of vf4 when you have your back turned around the way you turn back normal can matter. if you press a direction to turn around and are thrown you must break the throw normally (i.e. d/f+P+G for a d/f,d/f+P+G throw and so on). however if you turn around using G at the last moment any throw and i do mean ANY throw they do will turn into a normal P+G throw which means you can break ANY throw he does with just P+G! useful example=Wolf throws you with HCB+P+G and then presses P+G to do the lariat. he holds G to turn around and then presses d+P+G to pick you up of the ground. now you have your back turned to him right. if you go ahead and turn around he will crouch dash over to you and put you in a brutal guessing game between throw and knee or something equally as powerful. bad huh? not to worry. leave your back turned and when he crouch dashes over to you right before he is about to knee or throw tap G to turn around. this will make it so any throw he does can be broken with just P+G or you will block the knee. pass my knowledge.

2. ad91791

ad91791 Well-Known Member

They didn't make vf4 for psx stupid.

3. HighKing

HighKing Well-Known Member

He kept babbling about something, ya know what he's talking about?

(rhetorical question, don't answer - wink, wink)

4. cooks94

cooks94 Well-Known Member

I know whats hes talking about! same thing happend to me when i was playing Halo on my gameboy color /versus/images/icons/shocked.gif
    PS. Bill Gates gave me the game only one ever made!!!! /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. solfizz

solfizz Well-Known Member

actually, if you were more discerning of cheeseball's advice, you'd see he meant "homeversion of vf4" when saying "psx". why do you people got to be such dicks about one's lingo for certain words? If you don't get that "psx" just possibly <i>could</i> signify other-than-arcade, then I don't look down at your pissing and moaning AS MUCH.

With a little punctuation, cheeseball's explanation should be clear-cut. and no i'm not being lazy by refraining from reinterpreting what he said - if you still don't understand what he's trying to say, THEN i'll clear things up

and btw Cheeseball - that information is really surprising and useful; if it holds true, then definitely a tip to keep handy!

6. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Has nothing to do with one's lingo -- we've just got big dicks.

7. solfizz

solfizz Well-Known Member

touche /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

but seriously why all the scorn when obviously the poor fugger's trying to be helpful, mmM?

8. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't know half of the English VF4 lingo. Until Myke & ice-9 (or whoever) put in the images of the arrows & buttons, I found the Japanese terminology exponentially easier to read... at least in terms of keying in commands.

I've got scorned for it obviously, but it's something you've just got to live with.

9. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

Hey GP, dont forget who came with the idea for instant commands /versus/images/icons/wink.gif !

10. HighKing

HighKing Well-Known Member

You can thank me later. /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

It is truly disappointing to see gems of posts like yours get lost in the incoherent, GameFAQ-type, immature, newbie smartass comments that I'm disheartened to see more and more of on VFDC. Players who don't know VF from FV just need to STFU sometimes...know your own depth OK?

Anyway, cheeseball, I applaud your findings and finally got around to testing what you posted. I used the method you described (Wolf's HCB+P+G, G, d+P+G, CD, HCB+P+G), and to my pleasant surprise it was indeed the P+G that came out. I ran the same test but tried to turn around with [4] instead of [G], and voila, Wolf did a HCB+P+G instead of the P+G throw. At this point, I was intrigued but thought that maybe it was some sort of CPU bug in the training mode.

So, what I did was I hooked up a second player to test in versus mode, Kage and Wolf. I had one toe on the controller, ready to press [G] for Wolf. I did a SE with Kage, and then tried a directional command throw while pressing [G] for Wolf at the same time. Yowza, Kage's P+G came out!

OK, now I'm definitely interested. I went back to Training Mode and ran the same Wolf HCB+P+G test. I wanted to see how easy it was to escape the P+G after turning around. My conclusion is that the timing is quite strict, though not impossible. I tried to do P+G guard cancel, but unsuccessfully. I don't think there's enough time to G turn around, dodge and P+G throw escape, but maybe someone out there can pull it off.

This definitely has some interesting applications, though nothing ground breaking. Situations where I think this technique can apply: after Lion's SE, escaping Wolf's b+P+G, Wolf's HCB+P+G pick up, and Jeffry's SE.

One further note...when I was testing with Kage, I noticed that when I attempted a b,d+P+G more often than not it was the b,d+P+G throw that executed instead of the P+G. Basically I had to make sure that when I turn around with Wolf, the [G] had to coincide rather closely to the P+G execution. In essence, the timing to get this to work is rather narrow.

Again cheeseball, thanks for your finding.

If anyone out there has a friend to better test this technique out and post findings, that would be great. I don't know how much I can trust my toe!