1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Bad Habits....

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Chanchai, Nov 23, 1999.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Is anyone willing to point out their bad habits? In almost any game you play, this is the major key for your opponent to use against you (kinda obvious though, ain't it?). I was wondering if anyone, including the experts were willing to admit to some of their faults they'd like to correct. Correcting bad habits can be the most dificult discipline in competition. An example for me (I can't judge VF3tb gameplay at this point so I'll use Quake 2 as a reference) is that my footwork or movement in Quake 2 against an expert railgun marksman gets extremely awful. Though it has improved a bit, its still the element which has prevented me from winning some intense one on one matches. Sorry to hit off topic here, but it's an example to my question which does regard VF3tb. However, I sometimes found that in addition to getting rid of the habit, you can still make up much more for it by advancing another skill. For the Quake 2 example, I got pretty darn good at knocking a guy's rail aim (with the precision required, a little kick helps) with the Super Shotgun and in desperate situations the regular shotgun. Anyways, back to VF3tb. A side question is, can anyone list the top 10 bad habits of a scrub or newbie? I'm talking about gameplay wise (though if you want to add a list for personality, be my guest :)

-Chanchai

2. Rulakir

Rulakir Well-Known Member

I shouldn't answer this, but seeing that I'm never going to play anyone outside of my locale, I'll just tell the whole wide world !!! /images/icons/laugh.gif (Seeing that probably no more than 10 people who knows who I really am anyway, it doesn't really matter. /images/icons/laugh.gif)

Let's see..... my weaknesses ? Easy.... /images/icons/crazy.gif
    1) I never Rising Kick. NEVER. Unless I'm really desperate. /images/icons/tongue.gif
    2) I never seem to guard low either. I don't know why. /images/icons/frown.gif
    3) Hmm... I can't Korean Step properly. (If that's a weakness....)
    4) I haven't gotten the knack for dodging Rising Kicks. Probably never will too.... Sigh... /images/icons/frown.gif
    5) I never seem to know WHEN to back off. (One of the reasons I keep losing.... not knowing when to run and cut my losses....)
    6) Erm... I never pounce ? Sad, but true....
    7) I never aim for R.O., unless to insult, or at times of desperation. I prefer K.Os. Its much more dignified that way. /images/icons/wink.gif

That seems to sum it up... Great... now I've my weaknesses up for the world to see, and I finally have incentives to brush up. /images/icons/laugh.gif Hmm... are others so willing ? /images/icons/wink.gif

-Rulakir

3. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Hey man, it's all good. I just find that it is best to work out the kinks if you can admit they're there and specify them. As for me, I don't have a proper reference to compare myself and realise what it is that doesn't make me a pro besides the obvious lack of experience and practice and mastery over controls. I'm still working on some combos (thank goodness I can pull off all the step 1 stuff, but not 100% yet-- sad but true)... I guess all I can say is I have a lot to work on and I don't know where to start... So I'm just getting a feel for each character so I know how to fight against them or with them.
    At least I have my basics and concepts to back me up enough to beat everyone around where I live (which doesn't say much, hard to find good VF players here)... So I consider myself a scrub because of my overuse of easy moves, but I apply them at least decently... Umm... soo.... when I say "Chanchai" you say "Scrub" "Chanchai" "Scrub!" "Chanchai" errr... never mind... my mind went whacked again (tip #1) cramming for Midterms is mentally damaging....). Anyways, that's all I can say about myself.
    Anyone else ready to take the next step at self-improvement? It's kind of funny that in order to accomplish self-help, there's a certain amount of self-defeat required :p

-Chanchai

4. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Geez, where do I start on my list?

1) I, unlike Rulakir, ALWAYS rising kick (high or low) unless someone has beaten the crap outta me for the last 2 rounds because of it. Then I kip up ALWAYS. I seem to have a mental block with just getting up normally.
    2) I freeze up when close to a win. I know Ice-9 pointed this one out. When I'm within 100 points of winning a match, suddenly my Sarah only has about 4 moves and 2 of them are throws. :p It's like I can't recognize and use the other 10-15 moves I used to get into that situation.
    3) I don't throw enough, unless it's setup throws, and when they're an option (Akira, Lion, Shun mainly) the setups are ALL that I'll use.
    4) When I try to throw escape, I instinctively want to do d/f+P+G,P+G. Bad habit from playing against Jeff and Akira all the time (stop splash mountain, RBC and shoulder throw). I'll find myself doing this against Sarah even, and she doesn't even have a d/f throw.

I guess those are the most glaringly obvious...

5. Guest

Guest Guest

The bad habits that I notice (I've probably missed a few): 1. I don't roll enough when I'm down. 2. I use Sarah's b+K+G and ub+K+G moves too often because I think they're cool looking. 3. I shinsodan too much because I like the sonic sound. 4. I use E,KK too often with any character who has a double kick. 5. I'm usually too lazy to do a double/triple throw escape. 6. When playing with a character who can reverse, I overuse reversal attempts. 7. I go for too many wall throws 8. I like using rare moves. 9. I like doing TA attacks, even if they're not optimal.
    Sheeesh, I didn't realize how bad I am...

Imashroom

6. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Wow..where should I start..I get hit toooo much <g>...I like using all of sarah's cool but utterly useless moves....the b K+G and her u/f P+G throw come to mind....I have a tendancy to be overtly agressive., I do not pay attention to the power meter..I could use work on defense...don't like to block low attacks for whatever reason, I get hit with utterly rediculous attacks {my friend Ben is always hitting me with those long pecking lion attacks!}, I do not use guard cancel enough to create options for throwing....Way to many punch, elbow combinations..I abuse it...

7. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

I don't know if I have blatant bad habits (what do you think, Mike, Ice-9?), but followings are my weaknesses.

1) Brain freeze when seeing something that does not make sense (or so it seems)
    e.g. Hiro GS my PKG-cancel. At that point, the entire match is his.

2) Forgetting to watch the footstance, especially with Lion

3) Mediocre command input (better to stay with Jacky)

Oh, yes, I do have the bad habit!

4) Overusing the crouch-walk backward, making myself vulnerable to throw or long-range mid move. I should learn to just block high sometimes.

8. ghetto-SHUN

ghetto-SHUN Well-Known Member

I see mistakes in my game all the time.
    THEY INCLUDE:
    1)Forgeting to drink when i'm in the lead.
    2)Crouching to much at times.
    3)My stagger recovery is sometimes to slow.
    4)Letting up a bit on my offense, even if i'm in complete control, which is the beginning of a come back for my opponent.

There's more, but i think i've shared enough for one day.(heh heh)