1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Baji mpeg

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Curse, Oct 13, 2001.

1. Curse

Curse Member

I remember there was some debate about wether or not Akira performs Baji (Pa chi) or Bagua (Pa kua) Since it seemed a hassle to send some of my private collection of mpegs, here is a link to a guy doing Li's family Baji Chuan. You should recognize this stuff immediately. http://www.kolumbus.fi/baji/videoclips.htm
    VIVI was also looking for some stuff on both Ba gua and Ba ji... if you still are, give me you email address.

Curse<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Curse on 10/13/01 11:23 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link! BTW, check out the logo for the Baji Association website, and compare with the VFDC logo. Hehe..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

More stuff I've been reading... interesting that Liu Yun Qiao's special technique was the Single Palm /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Grandmaster Liu became the close door disciple of the bajiquan master Li ShuWen, at a very young age. His family was rich and influential and was able to hire Li ShuWen to live in the Liu family to provide young Liu's martial education. Liu's daily routine included martial art training in the early morning, reading and writing in the morning, and martial art training again after lunch. Li's teaching style was extremely harsh. About half year in the beginning of Liu's discipleship involved practicing nothing but "post standing". The young Liu was quite bored and asked his father to ask li to teach something that a kid would find interesting. Li replied with a stern face that if they don't like it his way and train one step at a time, he would leave right away. Liu had no choice but to follow the rigid training of Li. Somehow, Li created in Liu a competitive and strong willed spirit, and it greatly assisted Liu throughout the almost unbearable training. It gave the young boy a unusually strong foundation in many aspect of the martial art taught by Li, including the so called "light body skill". At that time, Li was already in his 60's, and he used the time living with Liu's family to re-organized and summarized his life-long experience in training and fighting. So the art of bajiquan and piguazhang went through an important change in Li's old age. This was the reason Grandmaster Liu's bajiquan was significantly different from that of other students of Li ShuWen.

Among Grandmaster Liu's disciples there was a rumour that his one special technique was <font color=yellow>mong hu ying pa shan</font color=yellow>, or "ferocious tiger climbs the mountain ruthlessly", because this was the one technique that made Grandmaster Li ShuWen famous. Before I left Taiwan, Grandmaster Liu asked me to select one or two techniques and practice them constantly as my personal secret techniques for self-protection. I used the opportunity to ask him what was his specialty. He laughed and said he likes to practice ta zhang ("collapsing palms") regularly. The collapsing palm technique uses two sequential jings to cause damage. It's a difficult technique to perform well, especially the generation of the second force.

[​IMG]

4. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

More stuff I've been reading... interesting that Liu Yun Qiao's special technique was the Single Palm

Yeah, but can he crouch dash? or better yet do multible back crouch dashes?

I couldn't resist... =)

--
    "VF is the resonance AND the wonder." GodEater

5. VIVI

VIVI Active Member

I think its not Grandmaster Liu that had single palm as his specialty but its Grandmaster Li.

Grandmaster Li, can't crouch dash, but he can side step and kill you with a single palm.

Curse thanks for the link, Actually I got alot of info on Bajiquan, I know Bajiquan like 15 years ago, I did some basic trainning of it for 5 years, but you need to go Taiwan to progress, my parent didn't allow me then, saying I was too young, I was 14, I thought I was mature enough to venture. So I just continue the basic training till now.

6. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

The basic argument I had that akira does NOT do Pa-kwa is the fact he does not walk the circle and has almost no circular attacks. Both of those are the foundation on which Pa-kwa is based on. Ba-kwa, which has a lot of stomping attacks, is more what he does.

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

7. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    heh, you know I agonised over the vfdc logo!

It was the famous dashing elbow pose, shown in many Akira CGs, that did it. This move pretty much embodies VF for me. The SF games have the fireball, VF has the DE!

8. Curse

Curse Member

Baji is best with the 8 grand stampings and the post standing. You don't need anymore. Simplicity usually leads to superiority when it comes to real fighting. The post above saying how they chose a couple of moves to specialize in illustrates that.

9. VIVI

VIVI Active Member

Yep Curse,

You learn many only to master one.

Yeah my daily training, is 1 hour horse stance and Baji basic move 1000 times each. Than I went through the two form of Chen Style Tai Chi Chuan twice. I do it from 6 to 10 at night.

Shadowdean,
    I ask you before what is Bah Kwah ? Care to show me the Chinese character at least, so I can know what it is. I am very interested in what it is.

10. Curse

Curse Member

That is pretty intense. I am not sure how low you stand in your ma bu, but after an hour of it my legs are killing me :) I used to practice 4 hours a day, but I stopped that 3 years ago because I started bleeding from the pores infront of my heart, I got blazing hot, and could not eat or sleep. Too much yang energy, so I have to practice less. Do you live anywhere near San Francisco? I would love to meet up for training.

11. Curse

Curse Member

Shadowdean, it doesn't matter. He does Ba Ji Chuan; Ha Kyoku Ken in Japanese. Look at the mpeg and tell me you don't see Akira in there :)

12. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

Curse, you live in SF?

Have you been playing vf4 at Sunnyvale Golfland?

Lemmie know, Chris and I are always going down from SF to play...

-Jason

13. VIVI

VIVI Active Member

Ouchh :( that's bad, yeah definetly too much Yang energy.

Ma bu stance, the typical one, feet less than shoulder width apart, then bend to 90 degree, arm in front, breathing through the stomach while doing it. You know the typical stuff. Nothing different. Been doing it for the past 15 years.

I would love to train with someone, since my training partner all have gone. But I am not even in the US. Lucky you live in San Fransisco, I heard there are good Bajiquan practicioner over there. I never advance my training in Bajiquan :(

I would love to learn more of the Spear as well.

14. Curse

Curse Member

Yes, I live in SF and play at SVGL. Everytime I go, unless I go with friends, I am the only one that knows any thing about the game. The players don't even know the moves, so I know they aren't any of you from VFDC. I would love to go play in SVGL with you guys if you are driving down over the next month, while my girlfriend is away :).

15. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Sounds like the beginnings of a VF4 car pool to me... :>

--
    "VF is the resonance AND the wonder." GodEater

16. Genie47

Genie47 Well-Known Member

I must say it is definitely Bajiquan. Forgive me for the wrong info given in the VF2 FAQ which listed his technique and Baguaquan.

Chia Jin Ngee

17. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Curse,

Send me an ICQ at 5836001 or an email to christan@pobox.com. I'll give you my mobile #, and we can coordinate a trip out to SVGL this Saturday or something. =)

-- Chris

[​IMG]