1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Balance in VF4 ?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by blurp, Mar 25, 2002.

1. blurp

blurp Member

hey everyone. im another one of those "tekken player testing the waters in VF." (lol, judging from the posts in the board, there's tons of em). im really curious about character balance in VF. are all the characters in vf4 balanced in high level play? in tekken tag and tekken 4, tiers are evident, and is basically an acknowledged fact. AFAIK creating a perfectly balanced fighting game is impossible. but maybe in VF4 the difference between tiers is miniscule and negligible. can someone help me out? thx

2. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

It's actually remarkably well done, for balance. Some characters may seem a bit overpowering at first (Akira, Wolf), but they have their weaknesses all the same. A good portion of the characters are relatively easy to pick up, with a few falling into the "damn this guy is frustrating" category (again see Akira). There are tiers, but definitely not so obvious as in Tekken. i.e. There's no Mishimas vs. Wang type match ups. Everyone pretty much has a fair shot at taking out the others.

3. blurp

blurp Member

thx for the in depth reply, you pretty much answered all of my questions =). but just out of a deep and nagging curiousity, which characters belong in which tiers? useless info i know, but humor me =P
    lol at mishima vs wang

4. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I think he already answered ur question

There are no tiers.

Everyone has a distinct advantage over others...or disadvantaged in some ways.

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

At the highest levels, there are no tiers. Among the "good average" level (most of the better players here), it may seem as though tiers exist, but that's mainly because some characters are easier to be effective with than others.

Hmm, why do I feel like I've written this post before...

6. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I'm at the stage where I feel like ' god...I think I 've mentioned this link abt 250 times now'

7. blurp

blurp Member

thx for the answers =) very sorry if i offended you regulars by asking questions thats been answered before =(

8. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Ah blurp.

I'm sorry if u felt I was 'lecturing u'.
    that wasn't my intention at all~

If u felt that way, plz accept my apologize.

9. blurp

blurp Member

*sniff...ur too kind...*sniff
    lol, no apologies needed, i should have done a more thorough search anyways. didnt think of looking in the general forum =P