1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Bay Area - Thursday (23rd) & Monday (27th-Memorial Day)

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Chanchai, May 18, 2002.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Hey all you Bay Area VF peeps!

I plan to be in the area on Thursday the 23rd and Monday, Memorial Day. Would anyone be interested in some games of VF while I'm in town? Version B arcade or PS2 is all good with me!

-Chanchai

2. segaduck

segaduck Well-Known Member

Nice to meet you.

Unfortunatly, I have to go back to Taiwan on Thursday (23rd), and it's really a pity that I cannot play against you.

Wish you have fun with other great Bay Area VF players, and look forward to play together next time.

Enjoy !!!

3. Chanchai

awww... I was hoping to meet you as well, since Spotlite told me about you and all way back in the summer.

However, I'm sure we'll get a chance and I will greatly look forward to that! I've met some of the Bay Area VFers and have really enjoyed all of their company. Yet to meet a few others and am looking forward to it.

-Chanchai

4. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Yeah, Nick, your timing is a little off: /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

- Yusuke flew back to Japan earlier this week
    - Howard's heading out to Taiwan next week
    - Akira may be spending time with family somewhere else during that weekend (IIRC)
    - I'll be in LA Thursday night-Sunday morning, and in Sonoma/Napa Sunday-Tuesday (tentatively)
    - I'm not sure where the other players will be this weekend, but it might be difficult to organize a gathering since people normally meet at Howard's or my place.

Send me an ICQ and let's see if we can't meet up at least once or twice, though...?

5. Chanchai

Don't worry, this isn't the big Bay Area trip I've been planning/hoping on. This is just a fun little way for me to visit my sister before and after I go to LA. I just love road trips, so I found one/versus/images/icons/wink.gif

Anyways, I'll make another Bay Area trip (I hope) in the near future... but it'll be hard this summer with a lot of people out of town.

But I should still be able to go to the Bay Area a few times before then... maybe get some good ol' Feixaq training.

-Chanchai

6. Akira Taniguchi

Akira Taniguchi Well-Known Member

Hey Chanchai,

I can make it on both days Thursday and Monday. But it's going to be in the evening for Thursday and from late afteroon on Monday. Just let me know or let siLEpai know so we can set up a mini gathering with who ever is available at that time. More likely it's going to be at SVGL. Looking forward to seeing you again. When was the first time we meet? About 7 months ago?

7. Chanchai

Yep! Actually, it was about 9 months ago. I think we first met almost immediately when I stepped into SVGL early August when they had the VF4test machine. I had a lot of fun playing your Lau--really challenging and patient with a good handle on damage potential back then. At the time, it was scary as hell, but I thrive in that sort of challenge/versus/images/icons/wink.gif Anyways, I think we officially met a couple hours later and I enjoyed the little bit we talked and what not. Jemin was there too, and I wonder how he's doing.

In any case, I've always been wondering how you've been, but I at least hear part of the story from Chris now and then/versus/images/icons/wink.gif Always looking forward to hanging out and playing games with ya.

Looking forward to seeing you again and engaging in some intense matches (I'm hoping I can supply the intensity hehehe).

-Chanchai

8. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

hey i'll be there (svgl) both days i hope... yea im looking forward to meeting/challenging ya.

9. Chanchai

Awesome/versus/images/icons/wink.gif Definitely looking forward to meeting you and your brother. It's practically 6 months late, but I'll finally be there if only for a little while.

-Chanchai

10. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

::::BUMP:::: yup im bumping this thread up for a heads up on meeting at svgl this today (may23rd) at svgl and Memorial day monday. and i'll be at svgl around 6pm and i hope to see all you there. or whoever hehe.

11. Chanchai

Looks like I have to take the late night flight to San Jose tomorrow... I'm just royally screwed over by this programming assignment that's taking way too long to do now...

-Chanchai

12. Akira Taniguchi

Akira Taniguchi Well-Known Member

Hey Chanchai, sorry for the late reply but it was great meeting you for the second time. I had a good time playing against your Lyon and the Aoi mirror matches. You actually gave me some new ideas for my flow charting. Hope to see you soon again. I'm praying that you listen to your sister Jasmin and move down to the Bay Area so you can join the gathering we have every weekend. Like what everyone said, you're a pretty cool guy. Keep improving your Lyon.

13. Chanchai

I had a blast playing against you and Tragic. I still feel bad about complaining about not being used to the setup at SVGL while I was playing both you and Tragic, though.

In any case, I finally got used to the sticks and buttons when we got back and was much more comfortable with the setup at that point, but the moment I decide to bring in Lion to show you my actual Lion, the machines shut off as SVGL closes... sigh....

But anyways, I really enjoyed playing against Tragic's Sarah, Jacky, and Wolf. Most memorable to me is all the blindfighting and backfist action from Jacky. Those okizeme hops can be suicidal, but when the setup is just right, it's a scary way to eat up life. Getting nailed by MC Backfist can get really annoying, but it's an experience I really appreciate since I think it's a great move of Jacky's that I don't see often in the US (though Ice-9 had a Jacky that implemented it a lot too). Excellent Sarah and a pretty scary Wolf too.

As for my matches with Akira, I definitely had a blast with the Aoi mirror matches. I thought it was funny how some of our more serious matches boiled down to low punch flowcharts, high punch setups, and mid reversals (since it's virtually a safe bet that Aoi will most likely do a mid attack from mid range). The Aoi mirror matches are part of why I love gathering style matches, or even matches on machines where nobody is perfectly comfortable on... It leads us trying to experiment with all sorts of things and find new ideas. I was happy to nail b,f+P hit-throw on okizeme and also utilize the various elbows against you. And I really liked watching how solid your Aoi was as well as some of the ideas you would implement. Also, your Version B Aoi has me remembering how much I miss her Ver. B step (the single glitch step, not the whole crazy sequence).

Again, I wish I had a chance to show you what my Lion is really like. I don't think I even showed you a fraction of it because I was botching simple things I generally never botch. Just needed some time to adjust to the SVGL setup I guess, but it was still a lot of fun.

You'll get to see the true "Chanchai Lion" in the near future, I'm sure. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

In summary... Tragic--great matches, wish we could play more, great to finally meet you. Akira-Man, those were some really, REALLY fun Aoi experimentation matches. Fun matches altogether. GREAT TO MEET YOU AGAIN! JackyBrothas--Sorry we couldn't meet up this time...

-Chanchai