1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

beating a rush

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Robio_kun, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Robio_kun

Robio_kun Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I have been playing VF for a while now but I rarely get to play against another human. I have recently introduced a friend to VF and I find that even though he is not very experienced, he will often beat me just by overwhelming me with a rush. He uses Lau and will often keep repeating [3][P][P][P] while mixing it up a bit with the occasional throw or [2][K][K] etc. I should be able to beat this easily but for some reason find myself overwhelmed, can anyone offer any advice?

Robin

ps. hello to Ben if you are reading this... the other night prompted this post.

2. ZSS

ZSS Well-Known Member

3. MadAoi

MadAoi Member

Actually, I had trouble with that rush too. Depending on what character you play there are several ways to deal with that specific rush (like Aois sabakis), but you probably just need to learn to guard better. Concentrate on doing standing guard whenever you predict a [3][P][P][P], after guarding the three punches you can do a [2]+P to stop the rest of the series. Keep attacking with fast stuff, don't let him interupt you with another [3][P][P][P].

4. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

5. Robio_kun

Thanks guys. Much as I thought really. It is just a matter of doing it.

That last link makes me feel really silly because I replied to that with advice... /versus/images/graemlins/blush.gif

6. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

With respect to lau's [P][P][P] game, always low block. Even if he does [P][P][P][7][K] where the last hit is mid, he is still in disadvantage, and some characters has guaranteed counter even if they get hit by it.

7. Robio_kun

but it's low blocking that was getting me into trouble because he was using [3][P][P][P] and not finishing it with a kick....

8. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Robio_kun said:

but it's low blocking that was getting me into trouble because he was using [3][P][P][P] and not finishing it with a kick....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi. I don't know what character you use, but Lau's [3]PPP is -10 on both guard and hit meaning you can throw Lau if he stops after [3][P][P][P]. If you see Lau using a delayed [2][K] or [4][K] after [3][P][P][P], go for a laucher after [3][P][P][P]. Chances are your launcher you lauch Lau in the air with a nice yellow flash(MC).

Let your opponent know that it's pretty dangerous to use a delay attack after [3][P][P][P] by using a launcher, and when they start freezing up, go for a throw.

If Lau chooses to go for an immidiate follow up([2][K] or [4][K]), as people said block low for the most part(-25 on block so use the biggest launcher you have when you block it)

However, from time to time, block high when you see that Lau using the backflip thing after the string, and be ready to use the biggest launcher here as well after you blocking it. (-23)

The guessing game after [3][P][P][P] is a high risk gamble for Lau players, so if you know what to do, you can get a huge reward out of the situation.

Good luck.

9. Robio_kun

Ah, thanks. I didn't know that. That will stop him in his tracks. Hopefully he will adapt and we will have some balanced matches.

Robin

10. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Maddy explained it better than I did, I was trying to say to block low after you block [P][P][P] or even [3][P][P][P] for the throw/[7][K]/[2][K]/[K] guessing game... because

1) The throw will whiff over your head
    2) You get hit by [7][K] but depending on which character you use, you still get a guaranteed launcher in some cases. Lau is still in serious disadvantage even if he hits you with the flip kick.
    3) You block the [2][K] and in this case you can elbow or you have a guaranteed launcher.
    4) Although not many lau players do this, but the [K] option will also whiff right over your head.

It would be more helpful if you can post which character you play, so we can tell you how to punish it.

I think with respect to throwing Lau after blocking [P][P][P], it's rather risky since Lau can delay the [K] variations at the end. If you know he won't finish it, then yes a throw is guaranteed. I rarely see people do it unless they guess it, for most new players they will try to finish the string if you block the [P] series, so I would try to stay away from trying that.

11. Robio_kun

Thanks.

I do tend to punish him when he finishes the combo. He knows this so he would use[3][P] again straight afterwards instead of finishing it. having read Maddy's post I think throwing might be a good idea just to break discourage him from trying it again. I might also try some launchers.

By the way, I use Aoi, Wolf, Goh and am learning Vanessa.

It also didn't help that at the time we were playing at 60 hertz and I am used to 50 so my timing was all off. I had the least trouble using Wolf and the most trouble using Aoi.

12. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad, there was a really good Lau player who also had resorted to a [P][P][P] mind game and got away with murder until I looked up the statistics.

You play Sarah right?

To synthesize what's being said, basically, you have four options after blocking a [P][P][P]:

1. Throw if Lau doesn't complete the series
    2. Big attack (e.g. [3][3][K]) to punish delayed sweeps
    3. Block low for low sweep
    4. Block high for back flip

To break down the risk-reward for you:

1. The thing to realize is that if Lau doesn't complete the [P][P][P] series, the throw is guaranteed. If he tries [3][P][P][P] (blocked) and then [3][P][P][P], your throw will win! Hence, 62 points for a 270f throw, or at worst, 60 and 45 points MC damage from the [K] or [2][K] sweep respectively. Either way, the reward is in your favor!

2. 80-90 point damage from a dragon cannon, versus a similar pay-off risk of 60 and 45 points if Lau doesn't delay ending sweeps. Or he can anticipate the dragon cannon and choose to block. Regardless, for Sarah, and against a new Lau player who won't know how to maximize a blocked dragon cannon situation, you're probably getting more reward than risk here!

3. Dragon cannon damage again versus a measly 20 points damage from a [7][K] for Lau. Even after 20 points, you're at a +13 advantage. A great deal...for you.

4. Major advantage from blocking a [7][K]...is a dragon cannon guaranteed after? Don't know for Sarah, but a lot of things are I'm sure!

No matter what option you choose, the opponent almost always has the advantage in terms of risk-reward relative to Lau. That's why you won't ever see good Lau players use the [P][P][P] unless it's a guarantee counter situation and the Lau player wants to chip off life, because when the opponent knows how to deal with it it's just not worth the risks.

But the trick is...you MUST take risks to punish Lau. Go for the throw after blocking those punches to force Lau to end the string with a sweep. Then block and punish if Lau starts to do so.

For Kage, I tend towards 1. and 3. as this is where I max out most on ris-reward. As Sarah, I'd probably also stick to 1. and 3. the majority of the time, but also try 2. a bit more since her dragon cannon is just so good.

13. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

I just want to point out that (not very common) you can defend low and counter ANY follow up from [P][P][P] with [2]+[P]

You're forced to block the first two punches, but the last can be ducked giving you time to [2]+[P] and interrupt anything the Lau player may try and use on you. If your friend is mashing out the string you can easily go for a MC attack that floats after the [2]+[P] connects.

Edit: This is a clarification on what Madaoi was explaining

14. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Jerky said:

I just want to point out that (not very common) you can defend low and counter ANY follow up from [P][P][P] with [2]+[P]

You're forced to block the first two punches, but the last can be ducked giving you time to [2]+[P] and interrupt anything the Lau player may try and use on you. If your friend is mashing out the string you can easily go for a MC attack that floats after the [2]+[P] connects.

Edit: This is a clarification on what Madaoi was explaining

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. I just wanted to add some more on this.

I.The thrid punch can be inashi/reversed by any high punch inashi/reversal move. e.i) Akira can inashi his third P after blocking the first 2 by doing b, P+K+G.

2.With Lau, even after you got hit by Lau's 3PPP4K(the backflip kick), since it's -13 on hit, the fastest standing palm's garanteed.
    Because of distance issue, throw can't be done, but you have to keep pressuring opponent even after you get hit by it, cause you have a big advantage there.

15. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

I think if I remembered correctly, if your back is at a wall, you are force to blocked all three punches and cant sabaki the 3rd punch. Cant remember for sure for Lau. I know u cant vs Kage.

16. Robio_kun

Thanks again guys. I played him again tonight and had much greater success.