1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

BEHOLD! The GREATEST VF character guide EVER!!!

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Mr. Bungle, Jun 5, 2001.

1. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

Ahem. Well, I think it's pretty cool, anyway. I wrote it, I hope you enjoy it.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://world.std.com/~opus/vf3tb_kage_guide_(rsw).txt>http://world.std.com/~opus/vf3tb_kage_guide_(rsw).txt</A>

I have to admit there is even more that I could put in, but for now I think it's at an acceptable level for initial release. Also, I am very welcome to any additions, corrections, grammar/spelling or VF-wise. Just drop a line to the email address listed in the guide.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

First congratulation on Rich's monstrous and excellent faq on Kage, and actually a lot of important knowledge for every other characters as well. Very well organized... but please pardon me as i am not a Kage player so i jump right down to VS character sections :)

alright! time to neatpick heheh *grin*

1. for Akira's d/f P+G throw (in TB), i thought if you escape you are in advantage (?) , it is just 1 fr so you can actually buffer a F,F (or a F+E) and a quranteed 1 frame throw.

personally i can't do it in real competitions; but iirc i've read japanese articles on how akiras hate it when oppts can react to the escape with a buffer throw...
    (actually this situation is almost the same as wolf's P+G escaped situation, of course the later is easier to react since it has a longer animation and wolfs don't usually scrub with P or throws when his back is turned ^-^ )

2. On Aoi:
    "Aoi's f+P+K,P is Px, uf+K and throw counterable even if it connects."

you meant F+P,P (?) :)

3. on Jacky: low pounce after d/f,d/f P+G is avoidable, but prolly as hard as avoiding Sarah's low pounce after b+P+G in VF3ob (i think harder...but iirc gamest mook has an article on difficult but possible situations and this being one of them)

again, an outstanding and one of the best Faq i've read so far. Job well done ;)

-Mike Chuang

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    suggestion and correction

Great FAQ Rich.

Have you thought about including a section for okizeme? It wouldn't be too big, just listing effective strategies/attacks to use. I know you've mentioned usefulness in okizeme under the specific move (e.g. the uf+K+G), but since oki is such a large part of the game, it probably warrants it's own section. It could also include a section on uramawari listing kage's setups and such.

And just a typo in the Versus Aoi section:

Her db+K+G recovers high and is extremely counterable.

Shouldn't that be db+K?

4. Mr. Bungle

Re: BEHOLD! The GREATEST VF character guide EVER!!

>1. for Akira's d/f P+G throw (in TB), i thought if you escape you are in >advantage (?) , it is just 1 fr so you can actually buffer a F,F (or a F+E) >and a quranteed 1 frame throw.

I've heard this, too. For me there's always been much confusion regarding what exactly the deal with this throw escape is, especially in tb. I've never bothered to try throwing him; I always assumed it was the same as it was in ob. But, this is like the third time I've heard otherwise recently, and I noted this in the guide.

>"Aoi's f+P+K,P is Px, uf+K and throw counterable even if it connects."
    >you meant F+P,P (?) :)

Oop, yes, I did. fixed.

My knowledge of Aoi is pretty limited, both in firsthand experience from using her and in terms of vs tips. I'm not really happy with the vs Aoi section, I think it could be better.

> 3. on Jacky: low pounce after d/f,d/f P+G is avoidable

Fixed..

>again, an outstanding and one of the best Faq i've read so far. Job well done >;)

:) thanks very much..glad to have gotten it all out of my head and into text. Just wish I could have finished it sooner, like a couple of years ago, at least.

5. Mr. Bungle

Re: suggestion and correction

> Have you thought about including a section for okizeme?

Welll...maybe. I'm just not sure what to write, because as you said most of the okizeme applications are listed under the specific move, as well as facts given with the rising attack overview.

Mmm..there is more I can, add, though. I'll work on something later tonight.

re ura: I _never_ bother with ura (for any character, actually) and I'm pretty much totally, and (perhaps shamefully) ignorant of his ura setups, save for the age old uf+P+G hopover. Outside of the stuff shown in Godeaters VF3 ura video, I don't know of any others...

> Shouldn't that be db+K?

Yep, fixed.

oog, just realized today is Kage's "birthday". And noooooooo, I'm not some twisted fanboy - for whatever reason it just sticks in my head alongside the knowledge that the D-Day anniversary is on June 6 as well.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

>1.for Akira's d/f P+G throw (in TB), i thought if you escape
    >you are in >advantage (?) , it is just 1 fr so you can actually
    >buffer a F,F (or a F+E) >and a quranteed 1 frame throw.

It is true, but this is not really effective for the following reasons. You have to input f+E right after you escape Akira`s dfP+G or bd, fP+G. (Since you don't have much time, you can not do complicated throw such as giant swing after f+E.) This is to waste a frame you have. In general, in VF tb, if you have a frame of advantage, you can waste a frame by f+E and you can make a situation such that throw is guaranteed. Well, in some cases, your throw and the opp's throw is even, and in some case, only your throw is guaranteed. (Say, after you escape Wolf's P+G.) Against Akira`s throws, you and the opp are even. This means even if you succeed in doing f+E and throw, the opp's throw may still grab you first.
    (In OB, this happens when lowkicks of Kage, Jacky (and some others) hit a character who has a low-throw with a counter. In that case, the probability of Jacky grabbing the opp is 50 and that of the opp grabbing Jacky is 50 as well. Actually, the program was made such that for the first time this happens in a match, 1P wins, and for the second, 2P..., but it is hard to keep track of how many times low-kick hits with a counter while you are playing.)
    Thus, you may be better off, attacking. Then, if the opp learns that you tend to attack after escaping his dfP+G, he may give up trying to throw you. In that case, you can do f+E and throw him after the throw-escape. One thing to know is that it is you who have a choice of doing f+E or not. If you decide not to do f+E, then, the opponent can never grab you as long as you are attacking. If you do f+E, then, the opp can never hit you as long as you are executing a throw input.

This can be applied to many different situations, and I hope this clarifies some confusion.

HIRO

7. Mr. Bungle

> It is true, but this is not really effective for the following reasons.

Effectiveness wasn't really the question. The question was about what each player can or can not do in that situation, bottom line - who can throw who. Thanks for your input.

8. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Great guide! I haven't gotten the chance to read all of it, but from the bits and pieces I did read it looks to be very comprehensive. You can tell a lot of how Rich thinks with this guide.

9. Gnug315

Gnug315 Well-Known Member

Ditto! Great piece of work. Extremely comprehensive.

Being way too large to digest in one go, I enjoy dipping in at random and reading a few passages at a time; almost always I'll discover a new tasty tidbit about VF3 I wasn't aware of. Yummy!

- Jan

10. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Very impressive piece of work, Rich.

Espscially the section covering the other characters. I read a few things about each one that I hadn't read before. Very helpful indeed.

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=blue>DOG</font color=blue>

11. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Hey Rich~

after hearing praises GALORE for this faq, I've decided to come check it out as well...not to mentioned I've technically broken my "NO FAQS FOR ME THANKS" code.

Good job Rich.
    Easy to read, informative, great description of every situations.

all in all, I'm glad this is the 1st FAQ I decided to actually sit down n read abt other people's views n ideas.

<font color=red>~~~ 'enemy not SPODED, enemy not DOWN/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'

12. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

I know I'm late but I'll add my praise for the FAQ as well. I've found it especially useful since Kage is one of my weaker characters.

13. Mr. Bungle

I'm really glad y'all like it. Wanted to dump everything out of my head and get it in text, let everyone else know what can and can't be done.

Just a word of warning - and this may be really enormously "duh" obvious but it should be pointed out anyway - a large bit of the stuff in the vs section applies only to Kage..he can Px counter stuff no one else can, among other little tidbits (although stuff that's throw counterable by him is generally throw counterable by everyone else). There's more that can be noted here, but the bottom line is apply the vs section with other characters at your own risk.

Anyway thanks again, and enjoy..also will be uploading a small update soon.

14. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Rich
    em CDs....
    when will they be ready?/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=red>~~~ 'enemy not SPODED, enemy not DOWN/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'